2 Mac questions....

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
gotenks794
Org Profile

2 Mac questions....

Post by gotenks794 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:37 pm

(OK, at least half of this topic would probably be better off in the Compression/Encoding section, but I thought It'd be better to put it in the bona fide Mac section.)

TL;DR Version

Quick Facts:
•I'm on a Mac running Leopard (not Snow Leopard just yet).
•My video was edited in Final Cut express 4

Questions:

1. I've recently heard that x264 can be lossless, how can I achieve this?

2. I'd like to submit my video to a convention requiring MPEG-2, what's the best way of doing this?

Detailed Version

I have my video made and in the FCE 4 timeline. My source was 16:9 anamorphic footage, progressive 23.97fps (except the clean opening is [I think] interlaced 29.97, and any effects/motion are interlaced), and in AVI container with the HuffyUV codec. My timeline is setup as DV NTSC 16:9 Anamorphic. So my first question is how would I go about getting it into MPEG-2? I have the Quicktime MPEG-2 component (purchased for $19), if it helps for you to know. Now, My next question is somewhat 2 parted. I would like to be able to create a lossless version for cleaning/encoding via Avidemux, but I have yet to find a codec that Avidemux can chew and swallow and not suffer a great deal of indigestion from. How can I achieve what I want in regards to that? Also, I recently was made aware that x264 is capable of being lossless. How do I achieve x264 lossless?

Thanks and I look forward to your (whereas "your" means Kionon :P [JK]) responses.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: 2 Mac questions....

Post by mirkosp » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:06 pm

I'll put it here for Kio: lossless x264 is constant quality (or constant quantizer) 1 and all frames keyframes. In cli terms:

Code: Select all

--crf 1 --keyint 1
or

Code: Select all

--qp 1 --keyint 1
I don't know how to set x264 things on mac and how to work with cli in mac so I'm leaving that up to you...

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:01 am

I'm playing around with x264Encoder right now. Tell you when I find out.

As for MPEG-2, Compressor is good enough. Adobe Media Encoder will do it. Or heck, you got the MPEG-2 component, so I don't see why FCE couldn't just do it. I am not sure Avidemux can. I don't think I have tried.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Kionon wrote:I'm playing around with x264Encoder right now. Tell you when I find out.
Thanks, looking forward to it...
Kionon wrote:I'm playing around with x264Encoder right now. Tell you when I find out.

As for MPEG-2, Compressor is good enough. Adobe Media Encoder will do it. Or heck, you got the MPEG-2 component, so I don't see why FCE couldn't just do it. I am not sure Avidemux can. I don't think I have tried.
I don't think (the sad part is I'm not even joking) a day has gone by in which I did not wish I had Compressor. Or AME for that matter. But since I do not, I, naturally, went on to try your third suggestion. For some reason, I can't find anything even remotely related (apart from mp4, mind you) to MPEG-2 in the export options. I'm somewhat surprised about that, actually.h and Avidemux can do it, it's just I don't have a lossless video I can feed it and when I try with lossy video I'm not sure what settings to be using to make it correct. I got quite close but the video lost synch somewhere along the line. :sweat:
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Does anyone have anything that could help me? I'm really at a loss here.... :sweat: And I really don't wanna have to buy sheer video... Halpz! :P

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 am

I have vacation in two days, but I am too busy to finish researching now.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:30 pm

gotenks794 wrote:Does anyone have anything that could help me?
AviDemux will export to MPEG2. Use "DVD (lavc)" mode.

Why bother h.264 lossless? You have other, easier, options.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:55 pm

kmv wrote:
gotenks794 wrote:Does anyone have anything that could help me?
AviDemux will export to MPEG2. Use "DVD (lavc)" mode.

Why bother h.264 lossless? You have other, easier, options.
It was due to a mep. Tracks were to be sent either as lagarith or as x264 lossless, and lagarith seems to be no option for mac.

Return to “Mac Software”