GeForce 4 440MX video problems

DeepBLiu
Org Profile

GeForce 4 440MX video problems

Post by DeepBLiu » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:52 am

I just upgraded from a Voodoo 3 3000 (which played video and tv-outed awesomely) to a cheap Aopen Geforce 4 440 MX. Now, I swear that a lot of my video has become really pixelated. For divx files, if I play them in Windows Media Player and not in the standard Divx Player that comes with the drivers, then the video is really really nasty (extremely noticeably so). Did I not install drivers correctly, or what? I installed the ones that came on the CD, upgraded to the detonator drivers off nvidia.com, and upgraded my WMP. Still, mpegs and avi's look more pixelated than usual. What's up with that?

Thanks

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:04 am

I may be way off base, but if you are running win98 or ME go into safe mode, right click my computer, select properties, go to Device Manager and hit the plus sighn in front of Display adapters. It should only have one instance of your Geforce 4 440 MX. If and only if it has more then one, and/or your old video card still listed, delete all of the display adapters, reboot and reinstall the newest drivers to your video card.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:10 am

Iam going to el suggest the lastest detonator drivers from www.nvidia.com and also make sure your display mode is in 32bit color.

My DivX4.x encodes look like crap @ 16bit color.

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:12 am

klinky wrote:Iam going to el suggest the lastest detonator drivers from www.nvidia.com and also make sure your display mode is in 32bit color.

My DivX4.x encodes look like crap @ 16bit color.

~klinky
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

you did upgrade to the det's... my BADDDDD>

gomen

What codec are you using. Try a DivX4/5 codec and allow it to playback all files(even the 3.11a files) see if it continues. I seem to have a strange problem where certain DivX3.11a files look pixelated and choppy and take up 80 - 100 % cpu time to decode. It's annoying and I don't know what causes it...

~klinky

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:33 pm

Try the GDivx player. It decodes older Divx formats a lot better. It's not the video card, well, sort of. You can really see how sloppy stuff has been encoded with highend video cards. I just got 4600Ti and man was I shocked.

Oh yeah, you can get GDivx player at cnet and be sure to pick up the rest of the software to go with it. Don't worry it's free.
"Hope is the pain we feel that makes us try again"
-----Chico Science

DeepBLiu
Org Profile

Post by DeepBLiu » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:05 pm

Thanks y'all for replying... Forgot about this thread for a bit :oops:

Umm... the GeForce drivers are the only onces installed in device manager. Yes, I installed detonators (that's ok :P) and latest DivX. I tried 32-bit (Thanks a bunch!! It works better now), but it's still kinda pixellated. I don't want to use a different player than wmp for my DivX files, so I guess downloading GDivX wouldn't help me (I could use the DivX Alpha player if I wanted to) :?

well, thanks again for your help! Atleast the pictures aren't nasty blocky, but just pixellated. :D

DeepBLiu
Org Profile

Post by DeepBLiu » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:11 pm

(oh, and it's not just DivX files, mpgs are also really pixelly now)

Is there a better program that can run ALL of these file types?

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:39 pm

Probably try messing around with the codec config. That's probably the only thing wrong. And don't forget, the faster the card, the more mistakes you'll see. My friend Chad had a Voodoo3 then upgraded to the exact card. You might try getting a hold of him.

www.cableone.net/331727
"Hope is the pain we feel that makes us try again"
-----Chico Science

DeepBLiu
Org Profile

Post by DeepBLiu » Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:09 pm

Shulocc wrote:Probably try messing around with the codec config. That's probably the only thing wrong. And don't forget, the faster the card, the more mistakes you'll see. My friend Chad had a Voodoo3 then upgraded to the exact card. You might try getting a hold of him.

www.cableone.net/331727
DOesn't that seem bass ackwards? :( Thanks, I'll ask him

Return to “Hardware Discussion”