Random Action Videos

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

"My Box"

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:28 am

How about we take a step back and consider why the fuck everyone is trying
to shove videos into categories such as the narrow little box called "Action."

I understand the benefits of Labeling and Categorization, but don't people see a problem with this!?!

Now everyone is becoming more and more concerned with videos fitting into the right category, and that's all what it's about now... I sent my random thought to a convention a couple months ago regarding what category my videos should be put into. I think the one in question was , and I almost wanted to put it into Action. This obviously would be wrong because it's more upbeat, and uses School Rumble, so it's a bit more comedic than anything else; But it's fast, has a lot of sync, and is intended to get your adrenaline pumping, so what separates this from a 'real' Action video. Obviously not the lack of explosions and gun shots. [I'm still not entirely sure myself, but I think it has something to do with lack of Suspense, and lack of seriousness].

Anyways, that video got put into Comedy and got creamed by the competition. Why?
Because it didn't fit the bill.
It didn't fit into the narrow little box called 'Comedy' either.

We are doing this with everything these days. When I got my BSc and had to declare my Major as Biology, I got really annoyed because everyone thinks I'm some sort of Bio guy-- when really I consider myself to be more of a Generalist. And we are doing the same thing with AMV's. We evaluate an AMV based on the predetermined categories that we know... or rather think we know... when realistically this is a farce. My concept of Action may be entirely different from someone else' concept of Action. It's true that there are aspects to each category considered to be universal [romance has a relationship, comedy is funny... etc] but this really screws up peoples preconception of a video. They expect to see Suspense in an Action video [because that's what people have been conditioned to expect] but instead they get my own synced-to-hell-because-that's-what-I-like style of Action video because Action is the only category I can put most of my videos into.

I only make videos for myself [to a certain extent], so none of this really matters to me, but shouldn't people be doing the opposite? Instead of trying to make/find videos that fit a certain genre, shouldn't we diverge/converge to make/find videos that are different and don't necessarily fit the bill. Sure this makes it more convenient to find what you are looking for, but does that mean you will find the type of video you expect every time? Does that mean you can complain whenever you encounter a video that doesn't match what you expected? [well ok, you can always complain :/]

But what I've noticed lately is that the term "Random Action Video" is starting to become synonymous with "Sync-Whore Videos" [for lack of better terminology], and if everyone is sooo inclined to categorize everything, maybe those videos need their own grouping... perhaps WITHOUT USING the adjective ACTION, because it changes peoples expectations of a video entirely. I've contemplated simply checking off the "Other" category for many of my videos, but then people are just going to try to fit my video into one of the predetermined categories after they have watched it. If people would evaluate videos on face-value, we wouldn't need to categorize anything. Obviously this would make it difficult to find videos with those universal aspects that we like [and hence categorize by], but it would make evaluation/judgment more subjective, less bias, more critical, more reasonable, and fair.

What might not make a good Action video, can make a superb Random Action Video.

/does not fit in box
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: "My Box"

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:How about we take a step back and consider why the fuck everyone is trying
Most of the people don't, because of this little thing called "contests" ^^

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Re: Random Action Videos

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:How about we take a step back and consider why the fuck everyone is trying
Most of the people don't, because of this little thing called "contests" ^^
Indeed, and I think this contributes to some editors' lack of creativity juices since they try to fit into a category in order win that category.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:04 pm

JazzyDJ wrote:What are your thoughts about random action videos?
There is not good action animes these days!

People are demotivated to edit! :cry:
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:20 pm

This thread is now,

Why arn't there more "Other" videos?

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Ingow wrote:For me it's not surprising at all that nobody cares about action videos anymore, because there are no good action AMV creators anymore.
Fluxy being on hiatus is a big loss. :(
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Ingow wrote:
CrackTheSky wrote:Ileia
triple rofl

I don't have a problem with a video that would actually show Yoko kicking ass, or Revy, Lucy or Seras tearing shit up. For some reason though, action videos don't seem to need any gore or badass manly shit in them anymore.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Haven't seen the Elfen Lied one yet, but the rest is definately females with troubled lifes category ;O

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 pm

And Sword of the Stranger isn't badass.

Return to “General AMV”