Problem dealing with external HD

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

Problem dealing with external HD

Post by Vax » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 pm

OK, every time I try to move these two particular files into my external hard drive it says, I have no more room left on the disk and that they recommend a disk clean-up or delete a few files. But that doesn't at all make any sense, since I have 896 GB left on the darn thing. The files are the same size and are both the biggest file I've been trying to move so far. 4 GB each. I've tried moving them alone, switching their folders, restarting the external, restarting my computer, restarting both. Nothing. The file type isn't an issue at all seeing how I moved a bunch of files dealing with that type.
Help? :(

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

Re: Problem dealing with external HD

Post by Vax » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Oh, and I can move a bunch of other files into the hard drive. If its any help the brand is Western Digital.

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:40 pm

The external is FAT32, all you have to do is format it to NTFC and your problem will be fixed. Fat32 has a 2 GB file size limit or something like that, NTFC doesn't have a limit.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 am

AaronAMV wrote:The external is FAT32, all you have to do is format it to NTFS and your problem will be fixed. Fat32 has a 2 GB file size limit or something like that, NTFS doesn't have a limit.
Fix't

Though all externals seem to be shipped as FAT32 by default (for some strange reason) I doubt that's the problem here as FAT32 volumes are limited to 32GB.

No idea why the drive is being finicky though...

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:19 am

Kariudo wrote:
AaronAMV wrote:The external is FAT32, all you have to do is format it to NTFS and your problem will be fixed. Fat32 has a 2 GB file size limit or something like that, NTFS doesn't have a limit.
Fix't

Though all externals seem to be shipped as FAT32 by default (for some strange reason) I doubt that's the problem here as FAT32 volumes are limited to 32GB.

No idea why the drive is being finicky though...
Oh, right.

But I don't think it's 32 GB, I had a FAT32 before and couldn't transfer a file over 3GB until I converted NTFS.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 am

the drive volume limit for FAT32 is 32GB (the file limit is 4GB)

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:06 pm

The biggest FAT32 drive possible is 2TB, and can't hold any files bigger than 4GB. Most externals ship as FAT32 so that they can be used by Macs and Windows machines immediately without needing the user to format it (older Macs can't write to NTFS drives, and Windows can't access HFS/HFS+ drives without a third-party program).

The Windows drive formatting utility, though, won't format any partition larger than 32GB as FAT32, only NTFS.

So if you want to store large files on the drive, you need to convert it to NTFS, either by reformatting it, or using the convert.exe utility. From a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe), run "convert X: /fs:ntfs" without the quotes and replacing the X with the correct drive letter for your external.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”