Adobe Premiere previews lag when previewing on my laptop?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Adobe Premiere previews lag when previewing on my laptop?

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm

When I preview my amv project on my laptop, it seems to lag very badly. But when I preview it on my desktop, it barely lags. I am currently using the v210 codec to preview my project, since I am unable to find a way to enable ffdshow to preview my project on adobe premiere. My laptop has 4gb of ram, while my desktop only has 2gb, so i'm a bit confused at the moment. Are there any suggestions? Previewing with the other codecs arent helping either, unless there's a way to enable ffdshow for premiere pro cs4.
. : AnimeSpiritZ : .

*and sand blows deadly across from silence..*

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Premiere previews lag when previewing on my laptop?

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:39 am

If you have a 64bit OS, then you're limited in your codec choices for preview. You should just try switching preview codec until you find one that's fast enough. I use ffdshow myself since its mjpeg preview is really fast, but with 64bit OS that's no choice unfortunately...

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:47 am

nope, i've got windows vista 32-bit on my laptop now, so it's not an os issue. =/

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 am

Then it's really weird. Is it also not available between the codecs for the export? Or is it only missing in the preview list?

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:29 am

yeah, it's only under Video Previews that the codecs arent there. For Exports, under Microsoft AVI, I have the following codecs available:

Cinepak Codec by Radius
DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
DV (24p Advanced)
DV NTSC
DV PAL
ffdshow Video Codec
Huffyuv v3.1.1 - CCESP Patch v0.2.5
Indeo(r) video 5.10
Intel Indeo(r) Video R3.2
Intel Indeo(r) Video 4.5
Intel IYUV codec
Lagarith lossless codec
Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit
V210 10-bit YUV
Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
None

And under Video Preview's Desktop > Microsoft AVI codecs, I only have:

DV (24p Advanced)
DV NTSC
DV PAL
Intel IYUC codec
Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit
V210 10-bit YUV

The codec packs i've installed before are Combined Community Codec Pack and AMVapp. The other codecs were installed individually.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 am

That is indeed weird. As far as I knew, this issue was only on Vista 64bit... I suppose that you could try checking how the other codecs available work. The DV codecs might do well for preview purposes, just be sure to pick the right one depending on what your project settings are. If this ain't be enough, then I suppose you're better off exporting the timeline every time you need to preview...

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 am

the other codecs dont work well either. and what's weird is, when i try to preview with DV, the video gets all sliced up. like, the entire video is moved downwards and i cant view the bottom half of the video, as if it just gets cut off or something. Microsoft RLE is the least laggy, but the video output is very bad too. Not foggy bad, but more like i can see "moving blocks" of bad video conversion throughout the video.

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Actually, I just downloaded the update for Adobe Premiere CS4, it seems to enable "I-Frame Only MPEG" under Preview File Format. This allows you to preview your project with MPEG files instead of avi. It previews quite smoothly for me than any of their Microsoft Avi codecs. If only I could get ffdshow to work in previews though. There's also a "Maximum Render Quality" check box under the same windows. Just saying this to let people know in case anyone is having preview issues like I did, and hope that it helps.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:47 pm

How is ffdshow set up? You might need to make sure that the formats are set to decode on both the DirectShow and VFW interfaces. By default, the VFW interface is mostly disabled.

Also, make sure you're using a recent build of ffdshow (I go with the most recent generic SVN builds by clsid):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/
mirkosp wrote:If you have a 64bit OS, then you're limited in your codec choices for preview. You should just try switching preview codec until you find one that's fast enough. I use ffdshow myself since its mjpeg preview is really fast, but with 64bit OS that's no choice unfortunately...
Even if you use a 64bit build of ffdshow?
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Qyot27 wrote:
mirkosp wrote:If you have a 64bit OS, then you're limited in your codec choices for preview. You should just try switching preview codec until you find one that's fast enough. I use ffdshow myself since its mjpeg preview is really fast, but with 64bit OS that's no choice unfortunately...
Even if you use a 64bit build of ffdshow?
Can't be sure but apparently yes. At least in this thread, it seems as if on 64bit OS both 32bit and 64bit codecs won't work for preview.

Return to “Adobe Software”