The Otakon 2009 thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Nygmatech Enterprises
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2009 thread

Post by Nygmatech Enterprises » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 am

Congrats to everybody who won, placed, made it to Overflow, etc! And thanks for voting for me. I just about had a heart attack during Iron Editor.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 am

Castor Troy wrote:What videos were played at Iron Editor?
Along with the ones AMVorgasm mentioned, I also remembered the following being played:

-Sensei Says
-Right Now
-Chronicles of Ghibli
-The Paranoia Agent/TF2 video
-Jinnai and the Bugrom LIVE!

whispersreloaded
Org Profile

Post by whispersreloaded » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 pm

In response to Scintilla, after we had our convo about Reu before the Saturday showing, I made a point of asking Reu. He recognized your name only when we mentioned Waka Laka for Osaka, and said he didn't know you had made a bebop parody.

Also, as far as the Sunlight - Eureka 7 video went, I was really disappointed that didn't place. That was probably my favorite video I saw this year at Otakon and I voted it best in show. I am glad that the ToS video got second at least, since that was my second favorite in the drama category. Can't really comment on the romance/sentimental category, since I'm biased, but I was really a huge fan of the Nana video, and would have preferred to see that place, even if it meant knocking me out of runner up.

Comedy was good, the whole section was great, but I was satisfied with the winners. Parody/Trailer . . . just can't top Edward Elric and the Full Metal Prince, even though everyone in that section was entertaining. But CyberNinja had a great blend of action/drama and humor, the way a trailer should be. The action winners were pretty satisfactory. I enjoyed that section a lot, and I think I might try for either that or drama next year.

Iron Editor was a blast. I really didn't know what to expect going in, but I found it surprisingly fun and entertaining.

Anyway, this was a wonderful first experience for a con, and I was really excited that I was able to take runner up for Romance. Looking forward to another great year!
[Asylum | Studios]

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 pm

whispersreloaded wrote:Can't really comment on the romance/sentimental category, since I'm biased, but I was really a huge fan of the Nana video, and would have preferred to see that place, even if it meant knocking me out of runner up!
:shock: :shock: Wow thanks!! I actually felt that way about your video too! I even voted for it when I went to AB earlier this year :wink: And funny enough, I voted for the romance winner when I went to AMA (though it was in Upbeat there I believe). Either way, congrats! You did a fabulous job.

whispersreloaded
Org Profile

Post by whispersreloaded » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:30 pm

NightMistress85 wrote:
whispersreloaded wrote:Can't really comment on the romance/sentimental category, since I'm biased, but I was really a huge fan of the Nana video, and would have preferred to see that place, even if it meant knocking me out of runner up!
:shock: :shock: Wow thanks!! I actually felt that way about your video too! I even voted for it when I went to AB earlier this year :wink: And funny enough, I voted for the romance winner when I went to AMA (though it was in Upbeat there I believe). Either way, congrats! You did a fabulous job.
haha, that's quite the coincidence. And thank you so much! Yeah the Lovely Complex video seemed to be one of those videos that kinda hovered between categories. But I can see why they had to put it in Romance. It would have look silly next to all the dance videos XD
[Asylum | Studios]

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:55 pm

whispersreloaded wrote:
NightMistress85 wrote:
haha, that's quite the coincidence. And thank you so much! Yeah the Lovely Complex video seemed to be one of those videos that kinda hovered between categories. But I can see why they had to put it in Romance. It would have look silly next to all the dance videos XD

Yea. I was surprised when it got reshuffled. I was like ... but this is just a goofy video about how they drive each other crazy. X3

whispersreloaded
Org Profile

Post by whispersreloaded » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Moonlight Soldier wrote:
Yea. I was surprised when it got reshuffled. I was like ... but this is just a goofy video about how they drive each other crazy. X3
Your video had a great audience reaction XD (lots of lol-ing) I wish you could have been there to hear it.
[Asylum | Studios]

freya13
Org Profile

Post by freya13 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:33 pm

phoenixblood wrote:Thanks again to Vic and Alan and all the amv staff. I'm sure Otakon isn't nearly as fun with having to do all the work. So thanks for making it more enjoyable for the rest of us. :D
:3 You're welcome, lmao XD..... <_< >_> i think i want a scooter for next year, i ran that convention center WAY too many times (meh poor legs T_T)

P.S. apologies to anyone I had to force to sit down due to fire marshal regulations, it's better then getting our event shut down :3
Render-chan Error-chan >:3

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:23 pm

I hope everyone had a good time.

Although I was not at Otakon I was able to find some footage of the audience's reaction to the contest. I have to say maybe I should see what Otakon's all about some day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzBT-7F54Fc

^_^

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 pm

freya13 wrote:
phoenixblood wrote:Thanks again to Vic and Alan and all the amv staff. I'm sure Otakon isn't nearly as fun with having to do all the work. So thanks for making it more enjoyable for the rest of us. :D
:3 You're welcome, lmao XD..... <_< >_> i think i want a scooter for next year, i ran that convention center WAY too many times (meh poor legs T_T)
I send my thanks as well. Hope you guys are working the kinks out now with it being year 2. Maybe next year you should cosplay as a police officer on a segway. That way other Otakon staff won't get jealous :P .

Return to “AMV Contests”