Macross Frontier

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Ishbalan
Org Profile

Re: Macross Frontier

Post by Ishbalan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:40 am

Im about to start watching Macross Frontier. I've never seen any of the other Macross series. Is this bad?

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Ishbalan wrote:Im about to start watching Macross Frontier. I've never seen any of the other Macross series. Is this bad?
Not particularly. You'll miss the shout-outs and some subtle jokes, but the story stands by itself.

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Ishbalan wrote:Im about to start watching Macross Frontier. I've never seen any of the other Macross series. Is this bad?
Uh..I'm hoping not cause that's what I did.But anyway the story kinda stands out by itself cause I understood it pretty well despite not seeing any of the other Macross series.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Full Metal Sempai wrote:Having watched original Macross(plus movies and specials),Zero and Plus,I believe that Frontier does a great justice to the saga although it cannot surpass the original.
Heero_Yuy84 wrote:Frontier, meanwhile, great animation aside, feels like a lot of same-old, same-old. It lacks the heart of the original series and doesn't seek to achieve the kind of crazy over-the-top nature that made 7 so memorable.
It's kind of like they settled for mediocre this time around.
you must understand that Frontier was meant as little more than a 30th anniversary 'cloage' of all Macross series'. and as such I think they succeeded. Loved the beginning episodes and all of the 'call backs' to the original series, like a group of bridge bunnies (I dunno I seem to recall that...), Nyan Nyan Chinese restaurant (same as Minmei's) and the 'flying away grab my hand' scene gave me goosebumps lol... even though it was more falling up than falling down lol.

lol I watched this a few months ago and you all reminded me how much I hated Ranka lol I just like imagining her living her queen of the bugs life is all :)
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:09 pm

and nothing beats the giant cities :) so awesome :) giant pantees.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:09 pm

giant cows :))))

TheMadOne
Org Profile

Post by TheMadOne » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:53 am

Macross Frontier.... allow me to rant a little.

MF is a space opera.. literaly. It´s not just this epic space saga abaut conquesting new worlds, fighting evil aliens and facing deep conspiracys. It´s a total audiovisual overkill.

The space battles, the many of them rock. fast cuts, great animation and always in a good company of music that enhanches the action. While I am generally a mortal enemy of J-Pop (Hating J-Pop and liking anime is like being catholic and gay, I think), the music of Macross Frontier really knocks the wall down. Like in Macross Plus, the music is independent, unique and a part of the setting.
Part of this great audiovisual overkill are the scenes, when concerts and battles are mixed together... which gives a whole new meaning to "space opera", i belive.

Downsides of Frontier are many, but mostly they did the main anime-mistake. They kept the age of most charakters too low, creating a major age/skill paradox. I can´t stand it anymore to see 17-Year-old youngbloods being more competent in mostly everything than adults. Why couldn´t the charakters be... 20-24? They could be studying, but no, they had to be highschool students AND ace pilots.
Also, while I liked the hotheaded style of the adult charakters in Zero and Plus, the teenagers yet provide another problem... they turn the anime into another generic "ooooh, shy guys and shy girls" sceme. The whole series they are dancing around the obvious and I don´t care how much this is part of the genre, I think that a romance element could be used maturely. The love triangle stretches too long, jumping over too many obstacles to be anything else than pure cheese.

I can´t stop thinking abaut MF.. it could have been a truly great space opera, but it looses itself in it´s own genre. It tries to hard to be a conventional anime with conventional figures, scemes and romance elements.
Or to quote my buddy Kim during the "star-date" episode: "Good grief, why don´t you simple finally go fcck eachother! What´s keeping you!?!"
Your day shall come.
Be strong.
Be brave.
And for gods sake! DONT SCREW UP AGAIN!

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:43 am

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I just finished it, and I must say the ending was kinda lame :/
Spoiler :
Alto is all over friggin' Sheryl. Dammit, I hate her.
But I'm glad they are coming out with a movie, because then it might clear a few things up. :mrgreen:
Overall, it was really good. It's been awhile since I could watch an anime in two days. I usually have to take a break half the time because there are 1) a ton of fillers, or 2) it just sucks.
Image Image

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:50 am

So I got back to watching this after taking a long break from watching anything except the weekly dosages, and I've been rather enjoying myself, indulging in the complete "audio-visual overkill," as someone so kindly put it. The plot hasn't been too interesting to me since, afterall I'm in it for the epic space fights, but sometimes the plot can just rear its ugly head and drain all of the enjoyment from the show with its flamboyance.

I've just finished episode 8 and I was disgusted to find the show employing one of the most cliche and overused plot points in animedom. So tell me Macrossfags, is there any redemption behind what I now believe to be a complete waste of my time plot?

If not, I'll just skim around and watch the space fights without nodding off on the fluff they call a plot.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”