Is this computer good for video editing?

lalalagirl
Org Profile

Is this computer good for video editing?

Post by lalalagirl » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:54 pm

I've been meaning to buy a new PC for video editing purposes. I'm not exactly tech-savvy so I don't know if this would be a good buy or not.

HP Pavilion a6750t
Dual-core E5300 2.6GHz
Processor & Memory:

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E5300 2.6GHz
2MB L2 cache
800MHz Front Side Bus
4GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM memory (4 Dimms)

Drives:
500GB (7,200RPM) SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
LightScribe 16x max DVD±R/RW SuperMulti drive

Graphics & Video:
HP w1858 18.5" diagonal widescreen flat panel monitor with integrated speakers
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300 integrated graphics
Communications:
Integrated 10/100/1000BASE-T LAN Port

Audio:
Integrated 7.1 channel capable sound w/ front audio ports
Keyboard & Mouse:
HP Keyboard
HP Optical Mouse
Expandability (Total Slots):
Total memory slots: 4 DIMM
1 x PCIe x16
2 x PCIe x1
1 x PCI

Ports:
Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader: supports SmartMedia, xD, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital, Compact Flash I, Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, RSMMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+
Front headphone and mic ports
Line-in
6 x USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Back)
2 x IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
2 x PS/2

Operating System:

Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
Additional Software:

Microsoft Works 9.0
Additional Information:

CPU Dimensions: 16.28" D x 6.89" W x 15.24" H
Power Supply: 300W

~ My main concern is my harddrive space. I'm running on a Mac OSX 10.4.11 with 1 GB memory, 4 MB cache, Processor speed of 2.16GHz, & Harddrive capacity of 111.47 GB and it is DEFINITELY too little. :nono:

I don't want it to crash often or it to be super slow while I'm in the process of editing an AMV, so will this computer be acceptable?

If not, any good suggestions?

Price range: $300-$800- or around there :)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Is this computer good for video editing?

Post by Kionon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:48 am

lalalagirl wrote:~ My main concern is my harddrive space. I'm running on a Mac OSX 10.4.11 with 1 GB memory, 4 MB cache, Processor speed of 2.16GHz, & Harddrive capacity of 111.47 GB and it is DEFINITELY too little. :nono:

I don't want it to crash often or it to be super slow while I'm in the process of editing an AMV, so will this computer be acceptable?

Okay... I'm a bit confused. Are you running OSx86 on a PC? Or are you running retail Tiger on a genuine Mac? If the former, you should make sure that you don't just buy a Pavilion. You'll need to research the hardware needed to run OSx86 reliably, especially for editing. And you'd want to go up to Leopard at least. If you mean you currently have a Mac, and are thinking of switching to a PC running Windows... uhm... why? Tell me more about the Mac you're leaving, and what type of Mac it is. If harddrive space is your only issue, there are other, cheaper, solutions than buying a new computer. The specs of this mystery mac are not enough to identify it or for me to offer you suggestions on how you might be able to get more from it (or for me to tell you, that, yes, it is time to upgrade). In addition, I think most people here will tell you to build your own; not buy an HP from ConsumerElectronicsRus.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

lalalagirl
Org Profile

Post by lalalagirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Kionon wrote:
lalalagirl wrote:~ My main concern is my harddrive space. I'm running on a Mac OSX 10.4.11 with 1 GB memory, 4 MB cache, Processor speed of 2.16GHz, & Harddrive capacity of 111.47 GB and it is DEFINITELY too little. :nono:

Okay... I'm a bit confused. Are you running OSx86 on a PC? Or are you running retail Tiger on a genuine Mac? If the former, you should make sure that you don't just buy a Pavilion. You'll need to research the hardware needed to run OSx86 reliably, especially for editing. And you'd want to go up to Leopard at least. If you mean you currently have a Mac, and are thinking of switching to a PC running Windows... uhm... why? Tell me more about the Mac you're leaving, and what type of Mac it is. If harddrive space is your only issue, there are other, cheaper, solutions than buying a new computer. The specs of this mystery mac are not enough to identify it or for me to offer you suggestions on how you might be able to get more from it (or for me to tell you, that, yes, it is time to upgrade). In addition, I think most people here will tell you to build your own; not buy an HP from ConsumerElectronicsRus.
No, I'm running on a Macbook- a retail Tiger on a Mac. I want to switch to a PC because it has a lot more programs/applications than a mac (i.e: Sony Vegas) & because of my harddrive issue. At first I thought about buying just a second harddrive for my macbook, but from what I've found it's almost the same price as getting a new PC and does not let me run some programs that I want to run.

I do not want to build my own computer, all I'm asking is if this computer is decent enough to edit videos on and not lag or crash.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:58 pm

lalalagirl wrote:No, I'm running on a Macbook- a retail Tiger on a Mac. I want to switch to a PC because it has a lot more programs/applications than a mac (i.e: Sony Vegas) & because of my harddrive issue. At first I thought about buying just a second harddrive for my macbook, but from what I've found it's almost the same price as getting a new PC and does not let me run some programs that I want to run.
Well, you asked for suggestions, which also, as I understand it, means you're interested in the opinions behind the suggestions. And you still haven't told me the specs of the MacBook, but that's okay, because I have been able to determine what is is.

If it is a MacBook (and says MacBook on it, not PowerBook or iBook) then it should be an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz. The RAM should be upgradable to 3GBs (easily, I will even walk you through how, it's so simple). You may be able to use 4GBs completely in Snow Leo and Vista64/Win7, I need to do more research on if my current MacBook White is the same internally as yours as (it's the same case). Your computer will take it, but under Leo or 32bit Windows it seems 3Gbs is the max.

I think you are really underestimating the options available to you. Almost all major programs available for Windows have some sort of direct port or clone on Mac. The latter may not look the same, but it will have the same. And between crossover, parallels, and boot camp, if you really need something on windows, have at. I'll even test to see if Vegas runs, if you want me to.

And considering that TB drives using firewire are around $120 bucks, it is a much much cheaper option than buying a new PC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822101094

The 3Gbs of RAM will cost you... like $50? Maybe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... R2&x=0&y=0

Personally, you already have a great machine. A great machine that can run Windows lightening fast if you really want it to. It's still upgradable. It's current technology. It's PORTABLE. There is absolutely no reason for you to abandon the MacBook for a cheap PC. None. If I had $300, I would buy the harddrive space and the RAM. And try to score a discounted copy of Leo, although Snow Leo will be dirt cheap, come September, for the upgrade. If I had $800, I'd buy the harddrive space, the ram, and a really nice desktop set up for it: minidv-DVI adaptor, huge DVI monitor, comfortable keyboard and mouse, speakers... Then you have a very nice mac... that is totally comparable or better than what you have linked up above. Nicer looking too. And if you want to run windows? Go ahead. You can.
I do not want to build my own computer, all I'm asking is if this computer is decent enough to edit videos on and not lag or crash.
It's a computer. It will eventually crash. And if the whole computer doesn't, the program will, now and again. With that out of the way, it sounds like you've already decided, and you need very little in the way of hardware to edit videos. It depends not on if you edit, but what you edit with and how you choose to edit.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:41 pm

For roughly 670 EUR (should be about 940 USD) you should be able to buy a pre-built PC which has a Q6600 CPU, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, and 2x500GB internals.
Considering how you are using the PC for non 3D editing, the CPU is more important over the graphic card.
However the prebuilt pc I'm talking about (Acer Aspire - M5620) is available in Italy only, but I'm sure that if you check out other Acer pre-built PCs, you'll find better deals, even, considering how America tends to have lower prices with the tech stuff.
Just be sure to go with a quad-core if you can, those help a lot when it comes to editing and compressing.

lalalagirl
Org Profile

Post by lalalagirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Kionon wrote:
lalalagirl wrote:No, I'm running on a Macbook- a retail Tiger on a Mac. I want to switch to a PC because it has a lot more programs/applications than a mac (i.e: Sony Vegas) & because of my harddrive issue. At first I thought about buying just a second harddrive for my macbook, but from what I've found it's almost the same price as getting a new PC and does not let me run some programs that I want to run.
Well, you asked for suggestions, which also, as I understand it, means you're interested in the opinions behind the suggestions. And you still haven't told me the specs of the MacBook, but that's okay, because I have been able to determine what is is.

If it is a MacBook (and says MacBook on it, not PowerBook or iBook) then it should be an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz. The RAM should be upgradable to 3GBs (easily, I will even walk you through how, it's so simple). You may be able to use 4GBs completely in Snow Leo and Vista64/Win7, I need to do more research on if my current MacBook White is the same internally as yours as (it's the same case). Your computer will take it, but under Leo or 32bit Windows it seems 3Gbs is the max.

I think you are really underestimating the options available to you. Almost all major programs available for Windows have some sort of direct port or clone on Mac. The latter may not look the same, but it will have the same. And between crossover, parallels, and boot camp, if you really need something on windows, have at. I'll even test to see if Vegas runs, if you want me to.

And considering that TB drives using firewire are around $120 bucks, it is a much much cheaper option than buying a new PC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822101094

The 3Gbs of RAM will cost you... like $50? Maybe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... R2&x=0&y=0

Personally, you already have a great machine. A great machine that can run Windows lightening fast if you really want it to. It's still upgradable. It's current technology. It's PORTABLE. There is absolutely no reason for you to abandon the MacBook for a cheap PC. None. If I had $300, I would buy the harddrive space and the RAM. And try to score a discounted copy of Leo, although Snow Leo will be dirt cheap, come September, for the upgrade. If I had $800, I'd buy the harddrive space, the ram, and a really nice desktop set up for it: minidv-DVI adaptor, huge DVI monitor, comfortable keyboard and mouse, speakers... Then you have a very nice mac... that is totally comparable or better than what you have linked up above. Nicer looking too. And if you want to run windows? Go ahead. You can.
It's a computer. It will eventually crash. And if the whole computer doesn't, the program will, now and again. With that out of the way, it sounds like you've already decided, and you need very little in the way of hardware to edit videos. It depends not on if you edit, but what you edit with and how you choose to edit.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I have thought about it some more, and researched a little bit more, and it DOES seem better to just upgrade my mac. From what you've said, you too run a mac. Of course you know a whole lot more about it so I'll really take what you've said into consideration. I thought about just buying a Parallels Desktop, a 28" wide monitor, & acomdata 1TB external harddrive to spice up my macbook.. is that a good idea?

I'm actually pretty scared about using a PC since I'm a complete Mac-user so this might be the best idea.

*so sony vegas can run on Parallels Desktop with no problem?*

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:17 pm

I'm pretty much the central mac user on the org. I own five and wrote guides for prepping footage on both intels and ppcs. I will test Vegas in crossover and in parallels. If you tell me how much you know you can spend, I'll help with software and hardware lists.

Oh yeah. I'm in the teachers lounge. On my iPhone. :awesome:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Hey lalalagirl,

My initial impression, like everyone else, is to ask you to build your own computer or to buy parts and what not. (as it is ultimately 'cheaper' and more efficient)
but seeing as you have written:
lalalagirl wrote:I do not want to build my own computer, all I'm asking is if this computer is decent enough to edit videos on and not lag or crash.
i'll throw that idea out the window.

However, I would rather understand your situation so that we can give you better advice.

- Why have you picked out this HP Pavilion a6750t? And how much does it cost? (you did not list the price of the HP)
- Any specific reason why you are going with a pre-built computer from HP? Why not a Dell?
- Do you have anyone you know who can build custom computers for you for free? (a friend perhaps?)
----------
In any event I will answer you question:
The HP Pavilion a6750t is decent enough to handle AMV video editing. Of course it is not the best thing out there, but you should be able to handle what you want to do with it.
Basic AMV creation. You aren't doing any 3d effects or 3d rendering so you should be fine. However, don't expect LIGHTING fast renders and insane speeds.
I've made AMVs on crappier machines so this will do fine. This definitely be a huge upgrade from your MacBook.

Keep in mind, ALL computers slow down over time, due to the hard drive filling up with information. The more you use your computer, the slower it gets. It is recommended to keep your hard drive clean and free of junk to maintain nice speeds. Crashing and super slow computer is dependent on you and how well you maintain your computer. If you fall victim to installing spyware or useless programs and what not, even if you have the most expensive computer in the world, it will become slow and end up crashing.
----------
As for other computer suggestions, mirkosp made a very good suggestion. Although I am not sure if anyone sells a pre-built like that.
Try to find a pre-built that follow's mirkosp's suggestion as close as possible.

Since you want HDDs space, you def. want 2x500GB internal drives.
Don't edit on external drives (slowwww).
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:27 pm

lalalagirl wrote: I'm actually pretty scared about using a PC since I'm a complete Mac-user so this might be the best idea.

*so sony vegas can run on Parallels Desktop with no problem?*
If you've been using Mac, i say stick with it :\
Learn Final Cut! Final Cut Pro is > Sony Vegas any day

However, if you have your heart set on Sony Vegas, I say try PC
cheaper too
since your macbook is a on the lower end for processing power.
Image Image

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:45 pm

I disagree with some of the above. Is it really that much of an upgrade if you don't use it? I think this big of a jump is just, well, overkill. She shouldn't pay for power she won't use.

Also macs do just fine with FireWire drives.

I'd be more verbose, but iPhone is small. :|
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”