Adobe Premiere vs Adobe After Effects for making amvs?

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Adobe Premiere vs Adobe After Effects for making amvs?

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 pm

I still havent quite gotten a firm understanding of how to use these softwares yet, but i'm learning as I type this. So I was just wondering if one is better than the other to make an amv with? And if you can switch in between softwares when working on an amv, even if you start off the project using After Effects. This probably sounds more like an opinion question, so i'd like to know why you'd think working on an amv on one is better than the other, or if your answer is anything else.
. : AnimeSpiritZ : .

*and sand blows deadly across from silence..*

Hareoic
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Premiere vs Adobe After Effects for making amvs?

Post by Hareoic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:26 pm

From what I've heard, Premiere is for assembling your clips and essentially making your movie. After Effects is for special effects and 3D rendering. Also, the timeline in After Effects has gotten some complaints.

In other words, use Premiere.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 pm

You are supposed to use them in tandem.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:04 am

Kionon wrote:You are supposed to use them in tandem.
This.

Although, for general AMV purposes, Premiere should suffice. But After Effects might often come in handy, although doing a whole video in AE is just... ugh... meaningless. Unless you plan to do something *BIG* and by *BIG* I mean something that would need an intensive use of effects in every scene, at which point just using after effects would make more sense, although I think that Premiere would still come in handy to do the scene selection and setting the beat sync at the beginning.

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:38 pm

is it possible to switch back and forth in the process of making the amv? even though you havent compiled all your clips together yet
. : AnimeSpiritZ : .

*and sand blows deadly across from silence..*

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:58 pm

AnimeSpiritZ wrote:is it possible to switch back and forth in the process of making the amv? even though you havent compiled all your clips together yet
Yep.

DaikashiSan
Org Profile

Post by DaikashiSan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:58 pm

You are able to go from Premier to After Effects without having to compile/render any of your video at all. After Effects has the ability to load the project files from Premier and depending on how you want it imported, could be already cropped in layers for you or all in a simple composition.

I'm not sure if After Effects can double back to Premier but what you might want to do is to edit your basic cuts within Premier, save the project and then open them in After Effects. Once you've applied your effects to the selection that might need effects, save that project within After Effects so that you have a basic Premier file with all the basic cuts and an After Effects file that has all your finalized effects.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:16 am

Better yet, if you go with production premium cs4 or master collection cs4, you can have dynamic links between premiere and after effects, which means that you can send parts of the timeline in premiere to after effects and edit them there, and in premiere, in the timeline, you will see a dynamic link to ae instead of the clip itself, and the preview will show what is being done in after effects at that frame.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:32 am

mirkosp wrote:Better yet, if you go with production premium cs4 or master collection cs4, you can have dynamic links between premiere and after effects, which means that you can send parts of the timeline in premiere to after effects and edit them there, and in premiere, in the timeline, you will see a dynamic link to ae instead of the clip itself, and the preview will show what is being done in after effects at that frame.
Holy shit i've been missing out :shock: .

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:52 pm

convention dictates that you make your rough cut first (pp) then move to post work like effects, colour correction and whatnot (ae), then back to premiere to finesse your edits if you didn't get things right the first time.

it doesn't really matter though, since you're probably working on your own, you just need to do what works for you. having said that, nothing will get you comfortable with ae faster than doing a complete project in it.

Return to “Video Editing Software”