So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
LeapofFate
The Madvillain
Org Profile

Re: So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

Post by LeapofFate » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:44 pm

LeapofFate wrote:I demand a sticky.
Hey, it actually got a sticky.

Now where is that doujin?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 pm

I feel it's kind of necessary to mention this towards the scene selection:

Always know why are you using the scene you are using.

Of course, there are times when you just have that 5s block where nothing comes in mind, but you still should NOT blindly select a scene and throw it in. You HAVE TO know why you selected this scene, be it for sync, colour fitting, because you liked the pace, etc. Otherwise the people will come and ask "Hey, why did you use this scene here? I think it's badly synced." and you won't have an answer.
In fact, if you go through many great vids, you'll soon discover that all the scenes are there for a reason and nothing is out of place - which, in my eyes, makes the difference between "randomly chosen clips thrown together" and "videos" - and it's only up to you to decide where on the scale between these two you will be.

That said, I think that the AMV creation consists of about 3 main factors (this is where I differ a little from godix):

- Theme (which includes idea, story, etc.)
- Execution (which tells us how you managed to get the Theme part to the final video, so the viewer can see it - scene selection goes here)
- Technical (sync, effects, kewptangles)

And, not surprisingly, Technical aspect is the one that is the easiest to learn and improve. Sure, you can improve in ideas, learn to not make clichéd stories and improve your scene selection - but all of it is rather hard and comes with many finished pieces and vids, in my opinion.
(The only exception in Technical being beat sync - it needs some music sense, which not all people have, naturally. But that doesn't mean they can't make great vids.)

Basically, in my view it means that unless you have that hidden editor in you, you probably will improve - but only with lots and lots of work, in which this is simmilar to many artistic fields. On the other hand if you are artistic and just lack technical aspects, you will probably take much shorter time to produce great vids.

And then there's always Attack of the Otaku.

That said, I still think everyone can try to make as good vids as they can (or as bad as they can... doesn't matter much) as long as they have fun making them, that is all that matters.

Bananas |:>

vanalli
Org Profile

Post by vanalli » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:46 am

Awesome read. Enjoyed that a lot.
Meet me by the sea in Phuket.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:44 am

I kinda wish the final version, the one with a bit of actual grammar, were uploaded to the guides section. Alternatively, at least have the first post of this topic updated with the final version. Mind you this isn't a hint or anything, I'm just randomly commenting. Honest.

Ok, you got me, it's a hint

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 pm

And NEVER do what your Beta testers want you to do, there's always an excuse.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Ardour
Org Profile

Post by Ardour » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:52 pm

I give this topic a *thumbs up*
I totally agree with the motivation part. Don't start an AMV unless you have the inspiration for it. And start the AMV before you lose your inspiration. I don't know how many times I've begun and then deleted an AMV before it's even complete. It's best not to rush yourself to finish, but to pace yourself and make sure you've worked out all of your glitches. Another thing that I just HAVE to mention; Even though it's true that some (very few) good AMVs are made in Windows Movie Maker, try to get yourself a better program. It couldn't hurt, could it?
Knowname wrote:And NEVER do what your Beta testers want you to do, there's always an excuse.
So true...
There are always two choices in life: the right one and the easy one.

Psycho'sHatred
Org Profile

Post by Psycho'sHatred » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:05 pm

DUDE!!!!!! From one graphic designer to an other, You not only need to be in sync with the video, you need to have good music!!! 8-) :twisted: 8-)

Trust me. I know what I am talking about. I am Adobe(R) Certified. Meaning I CAN Edit on just about anything that you can give me. Good music is needed for the mood.
Not only that, but the music gives the people something to "ROCK" with. Most AMVs have a dramatic scenario. (Q.E.D. Love and action are the most popular.) Take the AMV Title: "Auriga" It's background music gives the video piece a "MOVING" Experience like you're actually there. I believe nothing is more beautiful than living the moment. Whom ever edited that marvelous video deserves alot of respect in how he/ or she created that "LIVE" feeling.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:34 pm

Psycho'sHatred wrote:DUDE!!!!!! From one graphic designer to an other, You not only need to be in sync with the video, you need to have good music!!! 8-) :twisted: 8-)

Trust me. I know what I am talking about. I am Adobe(R) Certified. Meaning I CAN Edit on just about anything that you can give me. Good music is needed for the mood.
Not only that, but the music gives the people something to "ROCK" with. Most AMVs have a dramatic scenario. (Q.E.D. Love and action are the most popular.) Take the AMV Title: "Auriga" It's background music gives the video piece a "MOVING" Experience like you're actually there. I believe nothing is more beautiful than living the moment. Whom ever edited that marvelous video deserves alot of respect in how he/ or she created that "LIVE" feeling.
I disagree
godix in IRC wrote:Beware his mad editing skillz. He's Adobe Certified!
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:52 pm

lol while those claims are pretty lol, fools don't know what audio can do. it's a very important component to an amv. However some of my best works were iron chef'd together. So it works both ways.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:32 pm

But it is possible to make a great AMV with a crappy song. sugardanSen for example. That song is soooo annoying.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Return to “General AMV”