Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest - RESULTS AND WINNERS

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
OtakuGT18
Org Profile

Re: Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest - FINALIST

Post by OtakuGT18 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:59 pm

zeiram_00 wrote:i'm not really whining all that much. i know my best work is yet to come and i don't care that much about audience awards (they're mostly popularity contests for the source video in it) the judges awards are were my concerns go. and i'm no old school 'elitist', its just that us older people disagree with the principles of the younger "kids" these days, but so happens between every generation anyway.

I understand if you disagree, but you really have come off as a whiner, and I wanted to know why. Also, good job not addressing much.
zeiram_00 wrote:i knew the post would get under peoples skin but was just trying to stir up things (not start arguments but discussions) and was bored with seeing all the finalist posting the ' oh i made it, yay for me, good luck all '
So basically you admit to trolling when you wanted to be taken seriously? Honestly? That makes no sense but oh well.

zeiram_00 wrote:and amv's are taken seriously, atleast by those that create them. it may not be original works of art themselves but one's personal expressions of creativity and at the same time a tribute to the orignal creators of the source materials.
I know, I already said that other than the AMV makers and the small niche of con goers and other fans AMVs are not taken too seriously so there isn't much to worry on there. I get where you're coming from but your intentions + way of going about it =/= understood opinion.

If you troll later, I suggest trying harder because you aren't making much of an impact.
-Z Fighter Sagron

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:If you want to come to our amv Panels this year and sit in on them I could use some help there. I think we have all the contest stuff covered. Hopefully you'll enjoy this year's contest.
I'll try to sit in, but just in the audience. We will be killing werewolves by night and counting down the ten funniest AMVs of all time by day! http://www.animemidatlantic.com/downloa ... hedule.pdf Oh yeah, and watching another great AMV contest!

See you atthecon!

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:If you want to come to our amv Panels this year and sit in on them I could use some help there. I think we have all the contest stuff covered. Hopefully you'll enjoy this year's contest.
I spent most of AMA last year doing AMX-related stuff and it seems this year will be no different. What panels do you have lined up?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:09 pm

How about we wait and see what actually happens before generalizing.

Frankly, you're asking to be judged either by coordinators, audience members or your peers when you enter a contest. I've also watched a video that thrilled contest coordinators and took "best of show" get a luke-warm response and watch a video surpass it as audience favourite.

Just this summer, I've had a video I made win and according to coordinators get a great response. I've sat and watched the audience be bored by it at another. And I've had the video not make the finals at other competitions.

Does it bother me that it didn't fare as well at the latter contests? No. Instead I'm going to try and tweak it and fix its flaws.
It's all about attitude. You can either make excuses or try to better yourself as an editor. You can accept that a video didn't do well and either roll with it or blame others.
Either way, your vision is not always going to match what people enjoy.

There's likely editors in that finalist list who've never made the cut before. Yes, they deserve encouragement no matter what your tastes might be. If you'd like to critique their videos, write an opinion, but this is not the place to belittle their success.

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Moonlight Soldier wrote:I've also watched a video that thrilled contest coordinators and took "best of show" get a luke-warm response and watch a video surpass it as audience favourite.
I'm guessing you're referring to my Monolith Monsters trailer at Otafest?

As for the topic at hand, I think who wins really just boils down to the type of crowd/judge you're showing it to. I don't buy it for a second that who wins is largely based on the source material popularity.
ImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:30 am

drewaconclusion wrote:As for the topic at hand, I think who wins really just boils down to the type of crowd/judge you're showing it to. I don't buy it for a second that who wins is largely based on the source material popularity.
In a way I agree, but not completely. At Katsucon, I was certain my comedy video would at lease make runner-up. The "DBZ Silent Movie" was a ringer. The video that actually did come in second for comedy turned out to be a 5:46 tribute to the men of Utena to the tune of - wait for it - "It's Raining Men." Someone decided to throw it into the contest just for reaction (and don't think it didn't get the "crazy yaoi fangirl" vote). It wasn't even amusing. The reaction was mostly girlish squeeing amid very few laughs. Mine was genuinely funny, but whatever. I guess there's something to be said for pandering... :roll:
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:13 am

Hey, I didn't make the cut!

... wait, I didn't enter this year.

I didn't have an entry in time for AMA, but I do have one ready for Otakon, and if Bryan is having his AMV critique panel again, I will show it. Don't know if I'll repeat this year in making finals for Otakon, but here's hoping!

Good luck to all who are in the finals at AMA!
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

OtakuGT18
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGT18 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:25 pm

deuceloosely wrote:Way off-topic, but any of you who will actually be attending AMA this year should make a note to come see AMV Salad 2 at my panel. I will also beta-test AMV Salad 3 before it premieres at Otakon next month and take any potential volunteers to contribute to AMV Salad 4 beginning July 20.

This year we had a theme: Commercials and Trailers. The entire main section of the video is fashioned after a half-hour programming slot on [adult swim].

Hey, Brian...need any assistance at all this year with anything?
Good job trying to advertise YOURSELF in this thread in the midst of a thread about the AMA 2009 AMV Contest. Isn't that...a little rude?

Also I'm sure if Bryan needed your assistance he'd tell us on the forums as an entirely new topic "Need New Staff!" on the forums.

Anyways, however the contest looks I'll be looking forward to it, it sounds exciting!
-Z Fighter Sagron

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:59 pm

OtakuGT18 wrote: Good job trying to advertise YOURSELF in this thread in the midst of a thread about the AMA 2009 AMV Contest. Isn't that...a little rude?

Also I'm sure if Bryan needed your assistance he'd tell us on the forums as an entirely new topic "Need New Staff!" on the forums.
:roll:
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Okay everybody cool off. It's not that big of a deal. I'm looking forward to this weekend. Let's have fun and enjoy the contest.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Return to “AMV Contests”