Importing into premier not displaying properly for MKV files

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Swift_Warrior
Org Profile

Importing into premier not displaying properly for MKV files

Post by Swift_Warrior » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:16 am

Well since premier doesnt natively support MKV, i used avisynth to import the files using the DirectShowSource command...

Anyways, when I preview the clip, it looks all good, but once i set my markers and drag it to the timeline and play it again, it becomes messed up where random frames not part of the sequence get inserted inbetween the markers... For example. If i had a marker at say 10 seconds and a ending marker at 15 seconds, at random points between (like 12 seconds), the clip will suddenly "jerk" into a single frame that should be at the 14 second mark, and then resume back from the 12 second mark and continue... and it does that a couple time... which kills the flow of the video...What's the problem?

Note: Using CCCP with vsfilter off and CoreAVC with Premiere Pro CS3

milkmandan
Org Profile

Re: Importing into premier not displaying properly for MKV files

Post by milkmandan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:40 pm

this might sound like a douche-baggary response, but why dont you try extracting the video file / converting it to lossless, and then slapping it in premiere. :\
just a thought.

having avisynth scripts in your bin saves hdd space, but you'll run into small problems like this :\
buy a 320GB harddrive if you need, cheap too!
Image Image

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Directshowsource isn't frame accurate, that's why you're having issues.
Get the ffmpegsource 2.00 beta 9 and call it like so:

Code: Select all

ffvidesource("clip.mkv")
It'll index the video in a file the first time you run the script, but then it'll run smoothly. Also, it won't load the audio, if you need it call it like so

Code: Select all

ffvideosource("clip.mkv", atrack=-1)
It'll make an audio index file too, but be aware of the fact that the audio will be indexed as pcm, so the audio index file will weight a LOT.

In any case, Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides Lovingly Overhauled Largely by Zarxrax</a> as I might have made some mistakes in my explanation (I personally still use the 1.21 version of the ffmpegsource so it works a bit differently and therefor what I've said might be wrong). The guide has a good number of suggestions for how to deal with various kind of footage, so it'll help.

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 am

mirkosp wrote:Directshowsource isn't frame accurate
are you sure?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:03 am

blabbler wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Directshowsource isn't frame accurate
are you sure?
Yes, I'm sure. If you are just transcoding clips in virtualdub it should work fine, but if you want to use it and work with avs directly in premiere, you're setting yourself for frame order hell.

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:36 am

hmm. i'm editing mjpeg offlines, but i'm going to relink them via directshowsource avs scripts to the onlines (mkvs ;)) and hopefully have a frame accurate rough cut without having to render a lossless for every episode.

it'll be interesting to see if it works out. ripping the mjpegs took <2m per episode.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:35 am

blabbler wrote:hmm. i'm editing mjpeg offlines, but i'm going to relink them via directshowsource avs scripts to the onlines (mkvs ;)) and hopefully have a frame accurate rough cut without having to render a lossless for every episode.

it'll be interesting to see if it works out. ripping the mjpegs took <2m per episode.
why not just using ffmpegsource or ffvideosource anyway. :| since it creates index, besides being frame accurate it also weights less on the ram.

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:24 pm

cos the mjpeg offlines were made with directshowsource. i can't be doing with actually editing using scripts, ew.

i'll only be relinking avs scripts for rendering the rough cut.

Return to “Adobe Software”