Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest - RESULTS AND WINNERS

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Melichan923
Org Profile

Re: Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest - FINALIST

Post by Melichan923 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Oh, yay! :) I'm happy to see the list of finalists and to see both mine made it in. Congrats to all the other finalists. ^^
Image Image

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:30 pm

plankster wrote:There are only two competing videos in the torture the audience category: Hayate no Power Rangers, that's mine, and Anibad, by HalOfBorg. He and I are the only competitors in the torture the audience category, so we have a 50/50 chance of winning. I would like to know what his video looks like, and i can show him mine, if he wants to.

SUBTITLES.......OMG I forgot to add SUBTITLES!!!!!!!

As for the song........ image a room full of people groaning, with music in the background! :P
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Cool I'm in.

Best of luck. now to get back to my current video before the AWA pro deadline hits.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Way off-topic, but any of you who will actually be attending AMA this year should make a note to come see AMV Salad 2 at my panel. I will also beta-test AMV Salad 3 before it premieres at Otakon next month and take any potential volunteers to contribute to AMV Salad 4 beginning July 20.

This year we had a theme: Commercials and Trailers. The entire main section of the video is fashioned after a half-hour programming slot on [adult swim].

Hey, Brian...need any assistance at all this year with anything?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:04 pm

If you want to come to our amv Panels this year and sit in on them I could use some help there. I think we have all the contest stuff covered. Hopefully you'll enjoy this year's contest. I'm not sure when my last year will be running AMA's AMV Contest as far as I know this could be my last year depending on circumstances next year that will either allow to run it or give it to my assistance. However, I want to thank everyone for making each year's contest an enjoyable experience. I have really enjoyed it and will hopefully get the chance to keep run this contest. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result of this contest and if I am able to do next year's contest I look forward to our 10th Anniversary Special Edition Contest.

Gene Starwind 21122
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:29 pm

WHAT! I DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE CUT!?! WELL SCREW um... A... um, that is to say, :roll:

Good luck to everyone who made the finals! Looking forward to another great show.

Bryan, you really put a lot into making these contest fun for everyone. I sincerely hope you continue to do these shows at AMA for a long long time.

See you atthecon.

zeiram_00
Org Profile

Post by zeiram_00 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:56 am

i didn't make the cut either, but i'm not bothered by it. i'm still kinda new and the 2 i submitted were definitely pushing the pg-13 limit so its understandable i was cut. but i've looked up most of the finalist (action/drama categories cause thats what i submitted) and i have to say i'm not that impressed. yes a lot were technically impressive but beyond just flashy effects the vids themselves were not good. its videos like the ones chosen as finalists that have tarnished the ideals of amv's. like the current trend in movies to have lots of FX and quick changing camera angles to make action scenes look more furious (which actually fails miserably and makes the director or in the amv case, editor look like an idiot trying to cover up their poor talent). if i wanted an epileptic siezure i could find more pleasant and effective methods than watching some hack amv to some rediculously popular anime series thats most likely way overrated.

ok, so that kinda got a little insulting there but whatever its just my opinion and i don't care if i piss off some little kids.
good luck to all finalists.

P.S.
if you would like to see my videos then search for my username (same as here). zeiram_00
be sure to click on the C-Base Edition of my first vid :)
People are Stupid, Individuals are Intelligent

OtakuGT18
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGT18 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:43 pm

zeiram_00 wrote:i didn't make the cut either, but i'm not bothered by it.
You know as someone who has seen these videos this sorta negates what you say later. Of course though, loads of people start posts like this to try and redeem themselves if they got 'something to say'.
zeiram_00 wrote: i'm still kinda new and the 2 i submitted were definitely pushing the pg-13 limit so its understandable i was cut. but i've looked up most of the finalist (action/drama categories cause thats what i submitted) and i have to say i'm not that impressed. yes a lot were technically impressive but beyond just flashy effects the vids themselves were not good.
lol opinions.

It's starting to sound like you're sore just because your video(s) were not chosen over those who were and maybe you aren't looking at the videos the same way those who judged it are. Just take that into consideration. Everybody views AMVs differently. At least you don't have yet another Naruto AMV set to Dragonforce, you know?

zeiram_00 wrote:its videos like the ones chosen as finalists that have tarnished the ideals of amv's.
What? I had the feeling that other than the niche that is con goers and AMV makers themselves, AMV's were NEVER taken seriously because it's usually just pre-made animation but used well and to the advantage (or disadvantage) of the video itself. Get your head out from your little cave buddy.

zeiram_00 wrote: like the current trend in movies to have lots of FX and quick changing camera angles to make action scenes look more furious (which actually fails miserably and makes the director or in the amv case, editor look like an idiot trying to cover up their poor talent). if i wanted an epileptic siezure i could find more pleasant and effective methods than watching some hack amv to some rediculously popular anime series thats most likely way overrated.
I doubt you really know the gravity of what videos were submitted prior to making the final cut (or not) to really make that judgment. There have been a lot worse videos that have been made that are submitted to either a-m-v.org or Youtube every day. Again, seems you're taking the idea of AMVs a little too seriously.
zeiram_00 wrote: ok, so that kinda got a little insulting there but whatever its just my opinion and i don't care if i piss off some little kids.
Sure is contradictory in here! You want to wish good luck to all finalists after bashing many of their talents (or the selection process itself) but yet go "I don't care if I piss off some little kids." just makes you look more immature than them, really.
-Z Fighter Sagron

Sonydjsnmix
Org Profile

Post by Sonydjsnmix » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 pm

zeiram_00 wrote:i didn't make the cut either, but i'm not bothered by it. i'm still kinda new and the 2 i submitted were definitely pushing the pg-13 limit so its understandable i was cut. but i've looked up most of the finalist (action/drama categories cause thats what i submitted) and i have to say i'm not that impressed. yes a lot were technically impressive but beyond just flashy effects the vids themselves were not good. its videos like the ones chosen as finalists that have tarnished the ideals of amv's. like the current trend in movies to have lots of FX and quick changing camera angles to make action scenes look more furious (which actually fails miserably and makes the director or in the amv case, editor look like an idiot trying to cover up their poor talent). if i wanted an epileptic siezure i could find more pleasant and effective methods than watching some hack amv to some rediculously popular anime series thats most likely way overrated.

ok, so that kinda got a little insulting there but whatever its just my opinion and i don't care if i piss off some little kids.

P.S.
if you would like to see my videos then search for my username (same as here). zeiram_00
be sure to click on the C-Base Edition of my first vid :)
You know there are threads in the general section about this very same issue about today's amvs having no soul and all effects. I agree with your frustrations. BUT you have to look at reality! Audiences at cons loves effects. It is a fact. When there is a no effect video with a good story it usually requires one to know the story of the anime. With an audience with mixed viewing history it's really hard for that no effect video to please as many people like an effect filled pretty video can do. I really would not judge the worth of an amv based on con wins.

Although you are entitled to your own opinion you are coming off as a cry baby and as an "no effects, back in the day oldie amv" elitist that has been breaking out lately. My no effect with a story didn't make it to this one con last year. I didn't whine and I got over it. You should too.

zeiram_00
Org Profile

Post by zeiram_00 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:41 pm

i'm not really whining all that much. i know my best work is yet to come and i don't care that much about audience awards (they're mostly popularity contests for the source video in it) the judges awards are were my concerns go. and i'm no old school 'elitist', its just that us older people disagree with the principles of the younger "kids" these days, but so happens between every generation anyway.

i knew the post would get under peoples skin but was just trying to stir up things (not start arguments but discussions) and was bored with seeing all the finalist posting the ' oh i made it, yay for me, good luck all '

and amv's are taken seriously, atleast by those that create them. it may not be original works of art themselves but one's personal expressions of creativity and at the same time a tribute to the orignal creators of the source materials.
People are Stupid, Individuals are Intelligent

Return to “AMV Contests”