Green Flash?

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
BlindMedia
Org Profile

Green Flash?

Post by BlindMedia » Wed May 06, 2009 6:25 am

I know a lot of people have trouble with the bottom of their screen turning green, but that's not my issue.

When I view my video in Windows Movie Maker it's absolutely fine, but as soon as I publish it there are these random green flashes that show up throughout the video, anywhere from 3-5 times depending on the length of the song.

I heard somewhere about a year ago that defragmenting your hard drive before publishing videos fixes the problem, and up until now that has worked for me. About a week ago, however, I ran my usual process and defragmented my hard drive then published my video. When I went to watch it, however, the green flashes were back.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it go away or fix it, so any suggestions would be very welcome.

All of my clips are taken directly from DVD's and all of the music is from audio CD's if that helps any, and they've all been converted over into Windows Media Audio/Video files and MP3 format, same as always.

Thanks in advance for the help.

guardiansoulblade
Org Profile

Re: Green Flash?

Post by guardiansoulblade » Tue May 19, 2009 12:46 am

you can't edit with .VOB files. You have to encode them to .avi files before you import them into Movie Maker. Look at the guides on this site to see how.

BlindMedia
Org Profile

Post by BlindMedia » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Someone else somewhere suggested that a few moments ago (literally) and I just tried it. The problem then is that the bottom of the screen becomes green and I'm not sure what to do with it :/

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:45 am

guardiansoulblade wrote:you can't edit with .VOB files. You have to encode them to .avi files before you import them into Movie Maker. Look at the guides on this site to see how.
It looks like she/he is not using .vob but .wmv that has been converted from .vob I think :?
I actually never had a problem using .vob files in WMM. .wmv files have given me trouble in all sorts of software. How are you converting and encoding your files? You could be losing a lot of quality converting them and if you are using a dvix or xvid than that's your problem. I've never been as good at coding as most ppl here, but why don't you try just using the original .vob files?
And Mp3 files give me problems in vegas, it might be a problem in movie maker too, not sure. But if they are directly from CDs than why are they in Mp3 format?

BlindMedia
Org Profile

Post by BlindMedia » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:20 pm

I don't even know what a .vob file is. I'm using a youtube downloader, they're not illegal youtube just doesn't like them. It's a downloader and converter, so when files come into my computer as CD or DVD files (because that's how they show up when I copy them into my comp) I have to convert them to a different kind of file before my comp will even let me touch them.

As for having dvix or xvid, the problems started -before- I downloaded them, I downloaded both in attempt to fix the problem but they haven't made it any better or worse.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 pm

You do realize that WMVs suck no? And what are you doing editing when you don't know what a .vob file is?
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

BlindMedia
Org Profile

Post by BlindMedia » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:58 am

Well up until I posted this topic everything was working just fine for me so even if they might 'suck' as you say, it was working for me.

As for never having heard of a .vob file, it's because the downloader/converter I use does not offer .vob files as a source and I was doing just fine using .wmv files until the green flashes started to show up.

If someone would -please- just tell me how to fix either that or the half green screen problem with .avi files, that's all I'm asking for. I'm getting backed up and I need to start making amv's again.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”