it's my first time...........................[buliding a pc]

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Re: it's my first time...........................[buliding a pc]

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu May 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Kariudo wrote:the Radeon 3100 is another integrated graphics chip.
You generally want to avoid integrated graphics if you want to do gaming

ATI and Nvidia trade blows as far as graphics performance goes, either would be fine.

Other than that the barebones kit there is alright, but it's missing a psu...if you got the Corsair psu that would put you over the total from the rig I suggested previously.

As far as encoding times go...all things equal besides the make and series of the cpu
from lowest to highest:
Intel Core i7, AMD Phenom II, Intel Core 2, AMD Phenom, AMD Athlon64, Intel Pentium 4

Phenom and Phenom II are only tri and quad core processors, which is more than you will (regularly) use and seems to be a bit out of your budget (the cpu itself would run about $180 or more)

core i7 is quad core and would be more than you want to spend
core2 or Athlon64 would be up your alley

if you want a core 2 duo cpu, expect to spend around $500 on the entire rig (as opposed to the $350 for the Athlon64 X2 one I suggested)

All in all, $350 is getting close to the lowest you'll be able to spend to get a decent mid-level editing and gaming rig

thanks for all your help

PS. is this cheaper then upgrading a barely upgrable DELL OptiPlex 330

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri May 29, 2009 3:18 pm

It probably won't be cheaper, but it'll perform better.

You'd be able to upgrade the ram (probably), but my guess is that your current system uses DDR (2GB DDR kit runs about $70)
The only other thing you'd really be able to upgrade is the hard drive.
I can't find enough information on your system to say if you would be able to upgrade the cpu or not...but even if you would be able to it wouldn't be that much of an improvement

s0matic
Org Profile

Post by s0matic » Sun May 31, 2009 11:32 am

I've been contemplating building a new rig, as my current with is getting ancient, and after running some numbers through Newegg, I found that's it's possible to get a decent editing/gaming rig for sub $500 usd (excluding monitor, speakers, keyboard, os, etc. the minor stuff.)

Total came out to around ~450 ish after rebates:

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail - $70
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $53
OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail - $37 after rebate
ASUS EAH4770/HTDI/512MD5 Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail - $99
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail - $40 after rebate
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM - $60
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $40 after rebate

So after rebates, and before shipping and tax it comes out to...$400, which is really really good. The key here is the video card, the Radeon HD 4770, which is probably the best bang for the buck video card right now. You should be able to run any modern game at decent frame rates @1680x1050 with that card, including Crysis. That means all Source/Orange Box games will run extremely smoothly. If you need a monitor, just add a cheap 21-23" at Newegg for another $150-$160. Operating system another $100 or so. The only problem is that stock is low at the moment (for the 477.) I'm guessing supply is low and demand is high I guess. If you're willing to wait for one of them to be in stock I'd highly suggest you pick up that card. If not you could probably spend $30~$50 more and grab a 512mb 4870 like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161268
Actually, if you want better gaming performance, I would suggest the 4870 as it's not much more expensive (that one at least). If price is more of an issue I'd stick with the 4770.

As far as building it goes, it's definitely not very hard. There are many guides on the internet dedicated to helping you build a PC, so it shouldn't be a problem finding one. If you still don't feel comfortable, ask one of your tech-savvy friends to help.

If you're feeling adventurous and want even better gaming performance/encoding times, then you can always overclock your CPU. This topic is a bit more advanced, but as always, a lot of info on the web on that if you wanna look into it. If you do it right, it's extra performance you don't have to pay money for.

TLDR; you can get a really good gaming/editing PC for less than $500-700 usd if you build your own. Core 2 e5200 is the best value cpu, a good step up would probably be the Phenom II X3 for $140, good gaming performance and one more core for better encoding times. Best value video card would probably be a Radeon HD 4770, cheap 4870's are a really good runner-up. And with those setups you should have no problem running Orange Box games.

If you want more info on budget PC setups, check out this guide

s0matic
Org Profile

Post by s0matic » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm

s0matic wrote:TLDR; words
Actually, after reading this article, I would personally choose the e6300 especiallly when overclocked, over the e5200/e5300. At $~15 more I see the performance gains justifying the extra cost (when overclocked.) Plus it has Virtualization Technology support, good if you're gonna be using Windows 7 later on.

If not overclocking however, I'd probably pick the Athlon II X2 250 for value performance.

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:15 pm

thank alot for all your help

PS. what about a good video capture device

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Do NOT capture your video! Learn how to rip.

You say that you have spare RAM already. Do you know what kind it is?

When it comes to power supply, cost is not what you want to look at. Brand is what matters. Sometimes crap companies sell crap power supplies with big watt numbers, and charge high prices for them. You won't need many watts if you're running an energy-efficient CPU in a micro-ATX motherboard. Companies like Rosewill, Antec, Corsair, and Thermaltake are good.

Any game from about 2005 or earlier will be single-threaded, so a cheap single-core CPU should be fine, though I'd upgrade to an Athlon LE-1660. A Radeon HD 4350 should also be sufficient for your graphics needs, and is about as cheap as graphics cards get. Get a nice ASrock motherboard with an AMD chipset (like this) to go with it.

Most importantly, you'll DEFINITELY want a huge hard drive if you're planning on doing video editing. Do not settle for anything less than 320 GB.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:16 am

the Black Monarch wrote:Do NOT capture your video! Learn how to rip.

i need a capture card to make montages and stuff, Not for making amv.

PS.also i have both DDR1 DDR2 of memory ram

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:45 pm

It doesn't matter what you're making. Never capture unless the footage that you want simply doesn't exist on DVD.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:17 am

if i add more ram to the computer will it make my program like STEAM[ and games] and blender load faster?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 pm

only if you're running out of memory (ie, you begin to use virtual memory)

A defrag might help you though, give jkdefrag a shot

Return to “Hardware Discussion”