Computers with liquid refrigeration

TriGGiT
Org Profile

Computers with liquid refrigeration

Post by TriGGiT » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 am

I suppose soem of you have this kind of computer, i shouls have posted this under hardware help but here it gets more noticed.
Question is how often do you need to changethe liquid thats inside the box in he computer does this liquid evaporates with time or you can just igonre and not have to change anything.
Have no experience on this field so help is appreciated.!!!

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Computers with liquid refrigeration

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 am

I'd suggest asking that at a hardware tech forum since you'd get hundreds of people that know what they're talking about instead of the maybe one or two you'd be lucky to find here.

Also - liquid cooling is no more than a semi-dangerous fad at this point - heat pipes are far more effective, far less dangerous to put in your case, and far cheaper than a liquid cooling solution.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 pm

Hey triggit,
I may be able to help as I've been dealing with computer hardware for a while now and as my major i have nothing better to do :\

What type of liquid cooling you are talking about.
When you do water cooling for any type of machine, are you cooling through a radiator or a compressor?
Since you mentioned refrigeration in your topic i am going to assume a compressor as that is the only method that LOWERS temperature below room temp.
For a water cooled system with a compressor you would need to 'add' liquid (just some) every 7-10 months.
As it does evaporate slowly, very slowly. But it does.
However, during initial set up, if you contaminated your liquid too much in any way, by dirt, grim, dust, oils or anything, you will need to flush your entire system if you see mold or crap build up in your tubes. Clean it with IPA and maybe even boiling distilled water.

For the most part you can ignore it, for 10 months and just add additional fluid If #1, you use non-corrosive non-additive fluid. #2, cleaned your components REALLY well before you put everything together.

PM me if you still need more advice.
I personally do not recommend water cooling with a compressor, it really is not worth it, unless you like in a place that is constantly 90+ Degrees F.
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 pm

@BasharOfTheAges: with non conductive liquid, it is 100% safe. Only more expensive than heat pipes, but a FAR superior solution to cooling. Anyone who is OCing or crunching should consider this solution.
Image Image

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:08 pm

The answer to the question is that you never need to change the liquid coolant as long as the loop is sealed.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:37 pm

the Black Monarch wrote:The answer to the question is that you never need to change the liquid coolant as long as the loop is sealed.
Wrong again. Microbes can gum up a loop, and coolant will evaporate (and degrade) over time

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Microbes can gum up a loop
Only if you're not using the proper additives. Everclear comes to mind...
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 pm

the Black Monarch wrote:The answer to the question is that you never need to change the liquid coolant as long as the loop is sealed.
maybe not 'NEVER' but for a long time.

your loop can evap, or if during building you sucked and didn't properly clean your pump, rad, tubes, blocks it can get dirty over time.

but also if you used poor solution, the heat from the blocks can cause separation in the liquid.

=-=

however in my case, i haven't needed to replace liquid, its still clear as day after 9 months, a small small bit has evaped. but not enough yet.
Image Image

Return to “Hardware Discussion”