New Feature: Video Embedding

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Post by Pas » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:34 pm

hasteroth wrote:The problem is whenever anybody tries they just get stepped on by people like Godix and Pas.
To be fair, I don't think my responses to you have been uncalled for. At all.

Let's lay this shit down in a format that is understandable for you. You may take offense whenever I reply your posts, but if you could look past the insults for a second you'd realize that I'm really trying to tell you to think before you post.

My problem with posters such as yourself is that you fail to realize that a forum is [dramatic pause] NOT in fact your personal MSN messenger. Nobody really cares what you ate for breakfast today, or how long you slept for the previous night. Threads are created for the single purpose of discussing the topic that the OP has set for the thread, and sharing relevant information. While of course the discussion can diverge through time, dragging perfectly good topics OT (and on a regular basis) is not what I consider good posting.

tl;dr We're not stepping on you, stop being so pretentious

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:30 pm

hasteroth wrote:Hmmm... but if there kept recorded in AMV org as being the one who made it well then that doesn't really matter does it?
When has that stopped people from trying to claim other people's videos as their own (and having other people believe it)? You needn't go far on Hosatchel, I'm sure, to find examples.

To be clearer, I'm not talking about people falsely claiming credit for videos on THIS site; the mods have always been good about taking care of those cases. I'm talking about taking a video posted on this site and then claiming it on other sites like Yuu'utsube.
hasteroth wrote:And there was probably some people in the past who stole another person's video before it was posted on this site and you can't do anything about that.
You can't steal a video that you can't get a copy of. While it's still possible to get a copy to keep with videos on U2be, it's not trivial or obvious, and it seems people are willing to take that over how it is here.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Otohiko wrote:People that change their behaviour usually do so consciously of their own accord. Which also goes to say that if you want to see a social change in a small community, behave that way actively. This is a fairly small community on the forums and you can have an impact on it if you try and a few other people follow. Godix is kind of an ironically-backwards example of that.
I do not disagree with this, but I will note that there have been rather helpful members over the past few years and invariably the attitude towards them is 'They're doing good, now I can continue being a dick...' I question what real influence I have as well, while I am one of the more notable dicks around, I'm part of a trend rather than a leader. I do know the few times I've tried to do something good for the org has never really caused anyone to follow in kind.

Anyway, few will decide to change their behavior unless they realize their behavior is destructive. Which is part of where modding comes in. There is a difference between being a dick towards people who know it's mostly a joke and flaming a noob for asking a question. A few years ago I thought the org community was overly restrictive towards the former, notably in the anti-OT days, while currently I think the org is overly permissive in the latter.
The problem is whenever anybody tries they just get stepped on by people like Godix and Pas.
Part of the orgs problem is that a lot of us are dicks, but part of the problem is also some users are just fucking morons. If you want a community where the fucking morons can ran around without anyone calling them on being fucking morons then go dick around on boochsack. If you quit acting like a fucking moron on the org then I'd quit treating you like a fucking moron. Inflammatory I know, but it also happens to be true. Case in point, you totally failed to understand or really address Scintilla's point. Despite being so retarded that such a simple concept eluded you, you felt the need to bother us with your meaning drivel anyway.

As for Scintilla's point, sometimes you just gotta look at someone and go 'that's stupid'. I think worries that the org is somehow easier to steal stuff from than the tube is one of those cases. Perhaps educating these people on their mistake may be in order; swipe the vid, upload it to a fake tube account, and point them to that with a 'see how easy it is to steal your work anyway?' message. To change to orgs policies to account for sheer stupidity seems rather counterproductive.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:06 pm

godix wrote:As for Scintilla's point, sometimes you just gotta look at someone and go 'that's stupid'. I think worries that the org is somehow easier to steal stuff from than the tube is one of those cases. Perhaps educating these people on their mistake may be in order; swipe the vid, upload it to a fake tube account, and point them to that with a 'see how easy it is to steal your work anyway?' message.
I guess I didn't state this explicitly, but the people I've talked to are well aware that it's still possible to steal vids from U2be. But they also know that, like I said, it's not trivial or obvious. Their attitude is "why make it easier?".

I guess the convenience of having the actual file on your hard drive to play back whenever you want is lost on the new generation of fans who are growing used to having constant connectivity anyway.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Scintilla wrote:I guess I didn't state this explicitly, but the people I've talked to are well aware that it's still possible to steal vids from U2be. But they also know that, like I said, it's not trivial or obvious. Their attitude is "why make it easier?".

I guess the convenience of having the actual file on your hard drive to play back whenever you want is lost on the new generation of fans who are growing used to having constant connectivity anyway.
Hmm, I still think it's rather stupid. I installed an easily found greasemonkey script and now, by default, when I view tube pages there's a little 'save this video' option on the screen. But I guess few people realize how easy it really can be so the concern is at least understandable, although still stupid.

As you say, it may just be a difference in mentalities as well. Older techies remember the days when there was a notable difference between online and offline material while these days always connected net access is common so the difference has blurred. I guess it's a 'back in my days we didn't have streaming, it took 30 minutes to download a single song and we liked it!' moment.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 pm

We have no intention on making it so users can do streaming only. The system is meant for previewing the videos being hosted on local.

While it might not be immediately obvious how to download flash videos, the answer is a simple google search away. Like the tube, videos can be downloaded here as well. We've taken a couple of measures to make it a little more difficult, but anyone with a cache viewing tool would be able to get the videos.

As for the attitude stuff, I would moderate more but my focus has been primarily on code. I don't really read the forums like I did years ago. That said I really would like to see the rule I updated in February being followed more often.
If a member (most likely a newbie) posts to the wrong forum, makes a duplicate thread, or overlooks a sticky, you as a knowing member must 1) answer their question or direct them to a suitable topic that covers their question and then 2) point out which forum is the most appropriate one to post to about such items, if applicable. A forum moderator will (most likely) soon move the thread.
I guess you could say this is my pet peeve as an admin. I don't care how many times a topic comes up, if it bothers you to see a newbie post a topic that came up a couple weeks ago and you can't be bothered to help just ignore the thread. I haven't really done it in the past, but I'm am not above sending out warnings and temp bans if I personally come across members alienating new users. It doesn't matter if the new user may be "asking for it" when there are stickies and other topics that explain their problem. Point those topics out to them, teach them how to be better members of the community.

But like Jasper said, the administration can only do so much and given that some of us are focused on other areas of the site, we really need everyone to have a hand in helping out.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:20 pm

godix wrote:
Scintilla wrote:I guess I didn't state this explicitly, but the people I've talked to are well aware that it's still possible to steal vids from U2be. But they also know that, like I said, it's not trivial or obvious. Their attitude is "why make it easier?".

Hmm, I still think it's rather stupid. I installed an easily found greasemonkey script and now, by default, when I view tube pages there's a little 'save this video' option on the screen. But I guess few people realize how easy it really can be so the concern is at least understandable, although still stupid.

As you say, it may just be a difference in mentalities as well. Older techies remember the days when there was a notable difference between online and offline material while these days always connected net access is common so the difference has blurred. I guess it's a 'back in my days we didn't have streaming, it took 30 minutes to download a single song and we liked it!' moment.
It's actually trivial to save u-tube videos to keep, but their streaming format conversion tends to destroy video and audio quality, even in the HQ and "HD" streams. But the methods and programs/plugins to obtain these video streams aren't obvious. Not to mention that many videos don't have the needed tags or info to properly enable easy searching (due to the fear of getting the video deleted or disabled due to copyright issues), or the sheer amount of duplicates with some having better and some having worse quality than the original upload.

And back in my days, we didn't have download-able songs so we had to walk to a store and buy it on a CD; and we liked it!
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:29 pm

I wouldn't say I'm a moron more like an idiot ;). I simply have a bad reputation, I walk into traps easily... people just don't like me... ya hear?
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 am

Corran wrote:While it might not be immediately obvious how to download flash videos, the answer is a simple google search away. Like the tube, videos can be downloaded here as well. We've taken a couple of measures to make it a little more difficult, but anyone with a cache viewing tool would be able to get the videos.
(This isn't really directed at Corran, but just a re-enforcement of his statement)

I'd just like to point out that this is the thing that big industry people and plenty of ordinary people have trouble wrapping their head around: If something can be viewed/read/heard, it can be copied. While you can make it more difficult to do so, there will still be a way. The quality may be degraded a bit, but there will be a way.
Willen wrote:And back in my days, we didn't have download-able songs so we had to walk to a store and buy it on a CD; and we liked it!
What are these "CDs" you talk about? In my day, you had to buy it on a long, thin plastic strip in a plastic cassette case or a big flat piece of vinyl.

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 am

Hmm. I just gave the embed generator link a try, and it says I have no embeddable videos. Looking at my profile, I have one of my own videos with a preview option, and two that I am listed as a collaborator on with previews. If this is because of an unmet donation requirement, perhaps the message should say such? (Yes, I just realized I hadn't donated in awhile... :oops: )

Return to “Site Announcements”