AMVs and Funimation's Copyright enforcment comments

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
TeamCanadia
Org Profile

Re: AMVs and Funimation's Copyright enforcment comments

Post by TeamCanadia » Tue May 05, 2009 3:57 pm

I choose to ignore 'sating' of the audiences appetite comment. >.>

There are too many little things to nitpick there.

(Though, I do pity the poor fools who spend their time making hate AMVs. What a waste.)

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue May 05, 2009 4:11 pm

TeamCanadia wrote: I choose to ignore 'sating' of the audiences appetite comment. >.>

There are too many little things to nitpick there.
Maybe. This isn't an official FUNimation communication, or at least the ANN article doesn't state it is; so it doesn't need to be precise. But I do worry about this, because what someone says in an informal context may be a good indication to what they really think. I also have a habit of assuming everyone is my adversary until I can trust them.
TeamCanadia wrote: (Though, I do pity the poor fools who spend their time making hate AMVs. What a waste.)
Why do you say that? If you dislike something very strongly, why is it a waste to communicate that? Airing grievances is something that is quite natural and has a rich historical background: the USA's independence came from it.

If you can turn people off to an anime through an AMV, that can mean a few things. Here's a few of them:

* Your AMV shows a significant portion of the show, or perhaps all the good bits. Basically, makes people think they've already seen the whole thing. This gets into the "AMV that's just the entire show aggregated" scenario, which is obviously wrong. (Well, I think it is.)
* Your AMV is a criticism of the show, and it is executed well-enough to get others to adopt your opinion of the show. On a large enough scale, this would affect how many people decide to buy copies of the show. Frankly, I think that would be a pretty awesome AMV; you don't come across too many AMVs that communicate an opinion, much less do it well. I don't think that's wrong to do at all.
* Your AMV is crap, and makes the show look like crap. I'm not sure where this stands on the right-vs-wrong spectrum.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue May 05, 2009 4:13 pm

trythil wrote:If you can turn people off to an anime through an AMV, that can mean a few things. Here's a few of them:

* Your AMV shows a significant portion of the show, or perhaps all the good bits. Basically, makes people think they've already seen the whole thing. This gets into the "AMV that's just the entire show aggregated" scenario, which is obviously wrong. (Well, I think it is.)
* Your AMV is a criticism of the show, and it is executed well-enough to get others to adopt your opinion of the show. On a large enough scale, this would affect how many people decide to buy copies of the show. Frankly, I think that would be a pretty awesome AMV; you don't come across too many AMVs that communicate an opinion, much less do it well. I don't think that's wrong to do at all.
* Your AMV is crap, and makes the show look like crap. I'm not sure where this stands on the right-vs-wrong spectrum.
Forgot one big one:

* Your AMV uses a bunch of the "good scenes" from a show, and is pretty good. By itself it might serve as effective advertising for the show. But then other AMVs using the same show come along, and before long all the "good scenes" from the show are used up, effectively sating the audience. Is that right or wrong? If it's wrong, who's wrong?

TeamCanadia
Org Profile

Post by TeamCanadia » Tue May 05, 2009 4:19 pm

I've always been a cynic, so I suppose I shouldn't brush it off so quickly, but it's late, and I've had a long week. I'm sure tomorrow I'll end up ranting.

Or after I've eaten.

I tend to be wary of big companies like Funimation, and I suppose I shall continue to do so.

+++

I suppose, in the end it is preference. >.> I don't know, but if I hated something that much, I really wouldn't want to see it anymore.

Where would the incentive be to make a GOOD AMV for something one hates?
That just leaves the crap AMVs--the ones that can later be countered by the awesome ones that, in the end, make people go "Oh my! That was cool! I'm going to go watch it!"

Maybe it's a lack of faith in people, or maybe it's the fact that I make fun of the things I LIKE, so I ignore the hate.

((Oh gosh, I just realized how many grammar mistakes I made in my last post.))

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 pm

TeamCanadia wrote: Where would the incentive be to make a GOOD AMV for something one hates?
I think it is the same incentive that one would have to e.g. write an eloquent, well-reasoned position paper against some policy.

You can hate something so much that you feel the need to tell others just how much that something sucks.

TeamCanadia
Org Profile

Post by TeamCanadia » Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Ahh, touché, how can I argue with that?

Plus, my belly is full of food now, which means I'm more agreeable. 8D

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue May 05, 2009 6:00 pm

amvs have made me purchase a ton of shows that actually suck.

Azumanga, Hellsing, Haruhi, Metal Fighter Miku, Love Hina, etc.. :roll:

That's how powerful their possible sales influence is. :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed May 06, 2009 12:54 am

the problem with you "trythil" is your always so negative and only see the bad aspects of all things and that everyone is out to get us all... Try being a bit more positive and you actualy might live longer... That's experience talking, turst me :wink:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

PaperIsland
Org Profile

Post by PaperIsland » Wed May 06, 2009 1:02 am

...Brad made the mediocre Origin look worth buying with this classic:

At least the animation was good...
trythil wrote:Forgot one big one:

* Your AMV uses a bunch of the "good scenes" from a show, and is pretty good. By itself it might serve as effective advertising for the show. But then other AMVs using the same show come along, and before long all the "good scenes" from the show are used up, effectively sating the audience. Is that right or wrong? If it's wrong, who's wrong?
It's definitely possible to weaken a show by giving away the twists or ending... but I don't think any good show's appeal boils down to a group of good scenes that can be used up. A show's appeal should be in the story and character development. And it's hard to sate these elements with a 3 minute AMV. Even a character profile AMV seems like it would just make you curious about the character's role in the series.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed May 06, 2009 1:03 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:the con usually pays the fees to play copyrighted music
Are you serious?! That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's like saying anytime music is being played in public places/gatherings there should be fee's.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General AMV”