Baccano!

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Ishbalan
Org Profile

Baccano!

Post by Ishbalan » Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 am

Since we're bringing up not-so-old shows that the Org missed out on, I'd like to revistit Baccano! This is another one that Pas lobbyed to me. We've brought it up a few times when recommending new anime, but it never got itself a proper thread, since it gained most of its popularity after the show finished airing.

Synopsis:
Baccano is Italian for noise, but Narita translates it as "stupid commotion." Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies. Based on a light novel series by Narita Ryougo. (Source: ANN)

Its like Fullmetal Alchemist meets Pulp Fiction and The Godfather. I consider it to be easily one of the best-made and most entertaining shows produced in the last decade.

I just got the third DVD of Baccano! and I must say, this is one of the better English dubs. Funimation knew exactly what to do with this one. Everyone has a classic 30s style mafia voice that makes the show even more entertaining to watch in English. I do miss Miria's unique Japanese voice, but even in English, Caitlin Glass does her best to make it just as interesting. And it's so exciting to see Vino in action again.

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Re: Baccano!

Post by Pas » Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am

ITT: God tier anime

So much to praise, so very little to complain about. Perfect example of anime done right.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 am

FUCK YEAH ISSACU AND MIRIA!

<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Fri May 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Ive been meaning to see this for a while, thanks for reminding me to check it out :up:
Image ImageImage

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Sat May 02, 2009 12:15 am

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Sat May 02, 2009 11:43 am

Watched the first episode. I'm going to go get the whole series.

This is one of those series, I think, you can't watch subbed at all. It's like Hellsing: Japanese voice actors can't pull off a "foreign" accent. And without that certain way a' talkin', the mafia isn't respectable.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat May 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Funimation has the first few episodes streamed, http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=6

I only watched it subbed, I thought it was great. While I agree about the accent parts (Sakura Taisen subbed is never as good as it is dubbed) I'd think the guns that the mobsters carry do enough to stress the point... for me anyway lol.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Sun May 03, 2009 11:00 am

Here are two AMVs that should give you some idea to the action of Baccano! If you've already started the show, you probably shouldn't watch them for the spoilers, but if you haven't yet, these videos could be enough to get you interested.

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Sun May 24, 2009 8:40 am

Posting to request a move to Anime Series Discussion.

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Sun May 24, 2009 9:19 am

Ishbalan wrote:Posting to request a move to Anime Series Discussion.
Ish... you just post in the mod drop box asking for them to move what threads you want into series discussion... not in the thread itself...

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”