Saki

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
OmniStrata
Org Profile

Re: Saki

Post by OmniStrata » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:49 pm

Played the xbox live Mahjong game demo... YEESH this game is really really tough for a 'norm card' gamer like me to sink any fangs into.

My father in law plays this game a lot though and I'd consider playing it if people I knew were willing to play. They saw some fansubs of this on my big tv and were like "I'M NOT LEARNING THAT CRAZY ASS GAME LOL"
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 pm

hmm so far this series is interesting enough to keep me watching, but I can't decide if its good or not >.>

My understanding of the mahjong game was nothing at the start of this, and even after reading the wiki article on it, I'm still confused to the whole +-0 thing, and how the points system works in general. At least in Hikaru no go for example, there was enough explanation to get a hang of how Go works from just watching the series, but perhaps they will explain more as the series progresses. I will say though that the flashy effects when shes playing the supposedly genious moves come off as incredibly cheesy to me :lol:

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 pm

and then I found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_M ... ring_rules

Makes alot more sense now, although I'm too bad at math (and too lazy also) to figure out the exact formula, at least I have a gist of how its done now ;p

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 pm

I do NOT feel like actually learning Mahjong just to make watching a show worth it. I mean, I don't need to learn the guitar to be ok with K-On, but watching someone play a guitar I suppose is just sufficiently different to be ok.

Maybe if half the girl's skirts were longer, and half the girls skirts were shorter, so that they weren't so slap in the face different. Not to mention they are clearly trying to get the no pan vote. And no, I don't really need to watch an anime just to watch girls walking around ostensibly bare assed in a skirt that couldn't even remotely be acceptable code of conduct :)

If you don't know Mahjong, there's just nothing else to the show.

I will give this a pass and let the Mahjong fans have it.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:42 pm

I must be slipping.
It took me 3 episodes to realize that the guy in the show is Jun Fukuyama.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Ishbalan wrote:I must be slipping.
It took me 3 episodes to realize that the guy in the show is Jun Fukuyama.
Eh, he only gets a few lines and gets shoved to the sidelines so often I'm not surprised. Although I was surprised at how much screen time he got in episode 3 and that probably is the reason you hear his voice go into the modes that we are more used to hearing lately. It's been a while since I've heard him in a 'normal voice' role. Too much Lelouch and Maximilian...

That or the no-pan, no-bra, and loli taco lover are distracting you. :P
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Did you know this anime is about girls playing......oh screw it, this series is getting so utterly blatant it's hilarious!

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3580 ... 330762.gif
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3522 ... 367742.gif

This series should hold be over before Aoi Hana premieres in July. :lol:
ImageImage

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sat May 02, 2009 8:52 am

Gah, on one hand, I think the yuri undertones are distracting. But then, on the other hand, I want the main characters to 'get it on'. And I'm not a big fan of yuri.

Episode 4:
Saki: I didn't have time to make lunch this morning so this onigiri from the cafeteria will have to do.
Nodoka: Oh, you can have some of my lunch. I make a lot so I don't get distracted by hunger when I play mahjong.

LIES! Just say you made extra so you could share it with Saki! You planned this from the start!
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Thu May 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Fucking STEAM. :down:
And what convinient rays of sunshine. :evil:

...fuck.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile