Vegas vs. Premiere

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

Re: Vegas vs. Premiere

Post by Vax » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:49 pm

AaronAMV wrote:
Vax wrote:Aaron, not me. O:
I started with Vegas, got premiere and fucking loved it!
If you use Vegas, then Premiere, most people will say Premiere sucks. If you start with Premiere, most people are going to end up saying Vegas sucks. :/
I know. I'm just saying honey.

nommay
om nom nom
Org Profile

Post by nommay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks a lot guys! I'm sticking with Vegas :)

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:37 am

I started with AiST's "Media Mania TV Pro" then moved up to AiST's Extreme 4.0

the editer I used prior to AiST products were Avid 3.0 ( Apple ) & Asymetric's Video Producer 4.0
and I actually have a built-in HATE for Adobe Premiere & Sony ANYTHING; however ...
were I to choose, and I can afford it, it would not be Avid, Sony nor Adobe!

I'll say X2 to the satement of, "whatever you start with is the one you'll love best.

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:22 pm

i started with premiere, then got avid mc3 which is by far the smoothest and most intuitive nle (for me), now i'm using premiere again, but missing the way avid trims and deals with bins & subclips and stuff.

avid is awsm, but the workflow (while presumably great for post houses) is kind of long winded for amvs
the way you trim is really nice. you can shuttle with jkl, then switch to trim mode and trim with jkl too, it's far better than wanking around with the mouse in premiere (why can't you shuttle in the trimmer in premiere??!). mc3 has an integrated compositor too, but it's like a tweaked version of boris and not even close to shake or ae.

fcp is really popular, integrates with shake (which is apparently on the way out, but really powerful node based compositor)

premiere is sometimes used on small productions, and presumably used a fair bit by freelancers, but is generally frowned upon :D if you're using ae, ps, illustrator etc the integration is great.

vegas is great for the money, but i hated using it - the retarded trimmer and speed limit when you scrub with the mouse made it unberable for me. i think vegas is a good enough all rounder, you can do a bit of everything with it, although you'll probably want ae or boris before long.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:00 pm

As far as NLEs are concerned, I still prefer Vegas and it was like the 4th editor I worked with (if you count WMM). Actually, my path has been a little chaotic.

WMM > Premiere Pro 1.5 > Speed Razor > Vegas 6 > Premiere CS2 > Vegas 7 > Vegas 8 > Final Cut Express > Premiere CS3 > Final Cut Pro > Vegas 8

That said, I just find Vegas to be the easiest to use. There are some things that other programs are more powerful at, but nothing that's really affected me. And I can mask in Vegas without having to export frames to PS or take the video into AE. :up:

Just need to try Avid one of these days. =\
... yea ...

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:08 pm

The Origonal Head Hunter wrote: Premiere I think is better simply because of Avisynth support. Saves me the trouble of both needing huge file space for lossless full-length episodes and the trouble of hunting down clips to chop up in VirtualDubMod. A four-step process of getting clips into my program becomes 2-step.
well we use fake avis to accomplish the same, makeavis which comes with ffdshow to be exact. so not pretty much an advantage of premiere.

well im using vegas since v8 came out, so i could buy v7 cheap which im still using and its probably one of the best vegas versions out there. well i think the decision is up to you, use both programs for a while and then make a decision.

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:54 pm

HarimaKenji wrote:
The Origonal Head Hunter wrote: Premiere I think is better simply because of Avisynth support. Saves me the trouble of both needing huge file space for lossless full-length episodes and the trouble of hunting down clips to chop up in VirtualDubMod. A four-step process of getting clips into my program becomes 2-step.
well we use fake avis to accomplish the same, makeavis which comes with ffdshow to be exact. so not pretty much an advantage of premiere.
the fake avis process still involves more steps than Premiere's direct importing of avisynth files.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Fri May 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Just speaking from experience in the graphic end, I usually actually like to keep around a few different applications that are good at different things, for example, I use both gimp and photoshop for image editing, since gimp can do some things better than photoshop, but photoshop has other things gimp can't. I use wichever is more usefull for the particular task. If you have both softwares already, I'd keep em both around, unless you find that they both can do exactly what you need. although I am a premeire user myself and have not used vegas, I find photoshop very easy to use and can do pretty much all i need to to do without needing AE for most normal stuff (post Pro 2.0). although, the fact that you can mask inside vegas does interest me. :up:

Return to “Video Editing Software”