Vegas vs. Premiere

nommay
om nom nom
Org Profile

Vegas vs. Premiere

Post by nommay » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 pm

I AM NOT LOOKING TO START AN ARGUMENT!
It seems to me that many people say that premiere wins hands down. But I don't know why. I have used them both, and I don't really see any advantages to Premiere (I used CS4 if that makes a difference). I like Vegas because it is simple and unintimidating, but I want to use what's best. What advantages does Premiere have?
Also, what is the best version of Premiere for a beginner to use? I have a good computer, but the CS4 trial still lagged a bit. So should I use something else if I do switch to premiere?

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

Re: Vegas vs. Premiere

Post by Vax » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 pm

:O
When I used sony vegas, I thought it was the most awsome thing around, then I switched to premiere and the overall layout and interface is much more comfortable to work with. It's easier to move around and stuff. Though the new Sony Vegas 9 pro looks similar to Adobe, so you might want to try that.
Well premiere files have the ability to be opened in Adobe After Affects along with photoshop. If anything use Adobe Premiere pro cs3 because it's more lenient with the minimum requirements.
I'd say use Vegas if you're an effect-based person, because it'd be easier to apply it in the same program where as adobe you have to import in AE and sometimes the timeline is confusing and takes a while to figure out.
Premiere has some issues exporting with lossless codec (lag, huffy). Your best bet is uncompressed providing you have the space, where as Vegas has no issues exporting those.

If anything I say Adobe.

nommay
om nom nom
Org Profile

Post by nommay » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Many thanks :D I've been looking for a reason to start learning After Effects anyways (definitely the most intimidating thing I have ever seen, imo XD), so it's good to know that it takes advantage of it.

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Premiere Pro 2.0 :up:

Unless, of course, you're using vista- then it's CS3 and up.

Premiere I think is better simply because of Avisynth support. Saves me the trouble of both needing huge file space for lossless full-length episodes and the trouble of hunting down clips to chop up in VirtualDubMod. A four-step process of getting clips into my program becomes 2-step.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 pm

Vegas and premire will functionally give you the exact same result, and neither's really harder or easier than the other. It's all about tastes. If you already have vegas, there's absolutly no good reason to switch.

And you can use after effects perfectly fine with vegas (I speak from experience) the only difference is with vegas you have to create your own workflow instead of having adobe bridge. Not worth an extra few $100 in my opinion.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 am

both are just as good as the others, and besides the top video on this site was made with magix and mspaint

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 am

Premiere has had a longer life "in the Video Editing Department" than Vegas.

Q: then what could possibly be the difference ?
A: the way it handles Transitions!

( i.e. .. anybody who has purchased a camera with its own editing software
has bound to run into Avid's "DVD Movie Maker 2 Editor." - it sucks for transitions;
breaking-apart the videos before and after the transition takes place and usually
making the videos it is connecting to have "Green Screen" squares disrupting the
connections between scenes. Vegas is getting better at hiding this error but, Primiere
no longer has this error as an issue. ( after Adobe Premiere 5.1 ) And THAT is the
big difference, in a nut-shell, between Premiere and Vegas. Magix is getting better
at not causing transition errors and they have AiST to thank for their improvements. )

note: there are two different divisions of Avid Video Software; I'm picking on the
MGI side of its line ( the one line video wonders they loosely call Editors.
:P

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:48 pm

I like Vegas wayyyy more than Premiere.

I originally worked with Vegas 7.0, that stopped working, used Premiere CS3 for a little less than a month, got Vegas 6.0 to work with Vista, and I'm sticking with it. The interface is much easier IMO. I think it depends on what you use before the other. If you use Vegas, then Premiere, most people will say Premiere sucks. If you start with Premiere, most people are going to end up saying Vegas sucks. :/

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

Post by Vax » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Aaron, not me. O:
I started with Vegas, got premiere and fucking loved it!

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Vax wrote:Aaron, not me. O:
I started with Vegas, got premiere and fucking loved it!
If you use Vegas, then Premiere, most people will say Premiere sucks. If you start with Premiere, most people are going to end up saying Vegas sucks. :/

Return to “Video Editing Software”