What editors use photoshop for?

Minimoto
Org Profile

What editors use photoshop for?

Post by Minimoto » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:54 pm

I have always been wondering, but what exactly do editors use photoshop for? I recently obtained Adobe CS 8.0 as a gift from my uncle but am at a loss as to what editors use it for? Do they use it to edit photos and stick those in their AMV? For like, stationary parts? Please enlighten me as to the use.
Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Re: What editors use photoshop for?

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:24 am

Masking, mostly.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 am

anime uses a lot of stationary scenes with panning so its easy to manipulate a video if you are aware of that technique.. I've used photoshop to do that.

also for frame by frame manipulation/editing.

and a technique most commonly known as "masking" or rotoscoping, usually involves cutting out a character or an object over several frames and layering them into a new background. Here is a guide about masking.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am

I do a lot of rotoscoping with photoshop rather then AE. I also used to and sometimes still do use PS to create titles and to input text in a format I specifically want into a video rather then use the Title option. I also create simple effects with it, which usually include masking. It also helps with lip syncing. Finally I use it as a test bed for color based effects, as it's easier to test with a screenshot how a change in color will look rather then having to alter the settings and re-render each time.
ImageImageImageImage

Minimoto
Org Profile

Post by Minimoto » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:01 pm

I see... thank for the replies guys.
Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.

Minimoto
Org Profile

Post by Minimoto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:33 pm

How do you take a frame from the video? Do you just save as snapshot or something?

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:47 am

The exact terminology can vary from editor to editor, but most of them have an option that's something along the lines of "Export Frame" or "Save Frame As."

I know Premiere also has an option to export an Image Sequence, where you can select a portion of the timeline and automatically export each frame as an individual image file. It's convenient because you can edit each frame independently in Photoshop and then import the image sequence back into Premiere as a piece of video rather than just a bunch of image files. I've actually never had to export an image sequence out of Vegas, so I'm not sure if it will do that, though I know it can import an image sequence the same way as Premiere.
... yea ...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:28 pm

you can also use virtualdub mod to save an image sequence...

Minimoto
Org Profile

Post by Minimoto » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Can't seem to find the option with Vegas so I'm going to download that virtualdub.

/Downloaded and attempting to learn how to use.

Return to “Video Editing Software”