New feature: Streaming Video

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: New feature: Streaming Video

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Zarxrax wrote:This is explained in the first post.
blahhhhh... i can read :sweat: thnx sry shutting up

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Vax wrote:Awsome.

Is there anyway you can make it possible to skip a video without having to refresh?
I could add a link but it would do essentially the same thing. I don't want to make it an automated thing since users might be in the middle of writing a quick comment or leaving an opinion when it switches to the next video.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Wow, it's amazing how this site is evolving. Man I'll feel old.
ImageImage

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:00 pm

lol I almost clicked the Download this Video link for Realplayer when I was watching some videos. lol
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Sorry double post. But this feature has just sent me on a AMV watching spree. I am watching all the interesting ones with previews available lol. THis is awesome!
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Just a heads up, I've marked almost 300 videos for re-encode, mostly from this year's VCA. These are videos which we do not have ssim data for and were only given single pass treatment. Once the server takes action the videos will disappear from streaming. Derobert has drastically increased the processing power available for encoding so this should not take more than a day, if that. I will make sure that new uploads will still be given priority encoding during this time.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:21 pm

I daresay for those of us living in the 20th century, subsisting on nothing but dial-up, you have sort of answered our prayers. I can now watch AMVs without worrying about how the heck I'm going to download a 40-100MB file on a 56K modem.

It's also possible you have inadvertantly discovered a loophole in corporate Internet security software, which recently decided to prevent me from accessing the server holding all the AMVs, but NOT this site (which it used to block as well). :up: I'm not going to hold my breath, but if the streaming does work from behind my company's Net security, well...I'll be one extremely happy AMVer, because right now I'm living in exile with only occasional quick glimpses of freedom snatched at the peril of wearing out my welcome on a friend's high-speed Internet connection. :o

I like the way this was implemented, too, very good fit for this site! Thank you to everyone who worked to put this into place!!

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:01 am

A day which will live in INFAMY!! hehe :)

Thank you for your hard work and efforts guys.

I propose the next step is to get rid of quick comments and switch to nico nico style comments ^_^

BTW for someone like myself who is in the process of re-encoding old vids to H264. Should I hold off on uploading those to the org. Basically I don't want to screw things up or create any hassles while you guys have this outstanding encoding queue.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:58 am

Last night I was checking out the streaming feature on my laptop, but when I logged in just now, I noticed that it was prompting me to leave star ratings for them! While I saw somewhere that said you *can* leave ratings on videos, I was not aware that we *HAD TO* leave star ratings. As I did not even watch the full videos, I feel very much against this.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:47 am

Just curious, how fast is the encoding going now? I'd heard before that it was slow, but just in the last day I've had 3 of my old videos, in the 3.73-3.84 range get encoded. Was quite happy since I first thought I'd have to be waiting quite a while on those!
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “Site Announcements”