New feature: Streaming Video

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Re: New feature: Streaming Video

Post by JudgeHolden » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:42 am

A++

Love the "Stream a Random video" option!

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:19 am

godix wrote:Try watching the first 30 seconds of Attack of the Otaku, Euphoria, or Naruto's Technique Beat and you'll notice it's pretty representative of the video as a whole. 30 seconds is 15% to 20% of most videos. If you've seen nothing to grab your attention in that significant of a percentage what are the odds you're going to like it if you finish it?
That may be true for the videos you mentioned, but there are a wider array of videos that require buildup. More specifically it's the ones that tell a story which require the viewer to really sit down and watch the video in its entirety before passing a judgment.

Such videos could include tayo's "Part of You, Shadow of Me", Nessephanie's "Sunrise" and kiarrens's "Ouran Day", all of which really need to be seen from beginning to end to fully appreciate the effort put into them. Just watching the first 30 seconds of each isn't exactly a sufficient time frame to really understand what's going on in the videos, at least not for all of them.

Once again I have to emphasis that I'm not trying to be ungrateful towards the admins for setting up this feature, but I don't want to see people simply judging a video after only watching the first 30 seconds of it. Of course, not everyone will be doing that (even when given the opportunity) but it seems to encourage people to pass a quick judgment on videos when otherwise would require some thought and consideration.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:56 am

If the combination of song and anime or the concept of the video if described in the video info page doesn't make the viewer watch it for longer than 30 seconds, then I'm not sure if watching the entire thing will change their opinion of the video. Yeah, they may see that it was a very well executed video, but if it's not their cup of tea, then oh well. Let the chips (or stars) fall where they may.

I'm pretty much in the camp of "using it for previewing questionable videos, but not gonna use it for more than that". Although, I have seen some decent videos that unfortunately were marred by use of fansubbed anime for source. That and the occasional bad edit. Those are probably best viewed streamed. Of course the really bad ones aren't worth seeing more than a few seconds and those are perfect for streaming since I can stop the video without getting the entire file sent to me. Then again, to rate those videos I'll have to let it go for at least 30 seconds... :|

Still, it's nice to see this available. :up:
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:56 am

Okay, but can people leave opinions after only having seen the preview?

(Personally, I wouldn't want someone leaving a review after only 30 seconds; but if they watch the whole thing, then I wouldn't mind.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

prowild
Org Profile

Post by prowild » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:59 am

this is really awesome :up: a nice feature i was looking for on a-m-v.org ^-^
Sorry For My Englishzzzzzz ;)

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 am

Bad ass. Pat yourself on the back Eric :)
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 am

Bad
Dass

:up:

Good job Eric and co. |:>
Hi.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:24 am

Scintilla wrote:Okay, but can people leave opinions after only having seen the preview?

(Personally, I wouldn't want someone leaving a review after only 30 seconds; but if they watch the whole thing, then I wouldn't mind.)
After the viewer leaves a star rating (with optional quick comment), a link to leave an opinion appears. Same as how it works now on the Pending Stars section of the Members Main Page.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:47 am

Will we be able to embed the streaming videos in other websites (Facebook, Myspace, other forums) like YT? It would be a nice alternative to the poor quality YT embedding...

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 am

mexicanjunior wrote:Will we be able to embed the streaming videos in other websites (Facebook, Myspace, other forums) like YT? It would be a nice alternative to the poor quality YT embedding...
It's being looked into.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Return to “Site Announcements”