Cool flashback effect on vegas

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Cool flashback effect on vegas

Post by Animated » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:41 am

So, i don't want to mess around with film effects and black and white, but to try something better. Any ideas? :wink:

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: Cool flashback effect on vegas

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:32 pm

perhaps a fuzzy border and a slight softening and glow and desaturate a teeny tiny bit?

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Post by Animated » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Quite a good idea, thx! But... for something more chaotic and dark and... whatever? Without using a border, they're not my cup of tea :)

I thought of using some grunge layers (or however they're called) but i guess it will become quite a mess...

Minimoto
Org Profile

Post by Minimoto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:22 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:perhaps a fuzzy border and a slight softening and glow and desaturate a teeny tiny bit?
I've tried that but the only color I can get is black. I tried to get a border like that but it can't change the color to white.
Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.

Paura
Whatever it is, I didn't do it!
Org Profile

Post by Paura » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:26 pm

What kind of flashback effect do you want?

If you want a white border or another color:
1.) add cookie cutter(use rectangle, fix size however you want, and the axis however you want, and use feather)
2.) make a new layer below and use a media generator.

If you want to try a Naruto Flashback
Use either a small almost non-existant amount of glow
Use brightness contrast to lower contrast a little bit along with brightness.
Use Newspaper Print with .300 and color print.

If you need any other help, I'm still working on some different kinds of flashbacks anyways for some amvs I'm making.

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:47 am

Something like this, perhaps?

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Post by Animated » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:34 am

AaronAMV wrote:Something like this, perhaps?

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee15 ... /maybe.jpg
Hell yeah. How can you do something like this?

Anywayz, i'm now trying to add some grungy layers. Not a bad idea at all.

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:20 pm

All right, so I used three layers, including the grunge layer at the top.

On the first layer, I had a black and white, glow, and two cookie cutters. The black and white was set to 100%. The glow was set to 0.0 on Glow Percent, 2.424 on the intensity, and 0.136 on the suppression. Like this, I made it so the glow is visible and has an effect, but doesn't overpower the image/clip. Both the cookie cutters were make a small difference to the center vs the outer edge of the clip. It might be hard to tell, but it makes a difference IMO. The first cookie cutter (can be irreversible) was set to square, and the feathering at .55, 0 border, Repeat X on 10, And the size on .510, so you can just see it around the edge. The second cookie cutter was the same except it dealt with the Y.

For the second layer, copy the clip (with the FX) on to a track above. I removed the cookie cutter, but I don't think it is necessary. Go grab a linear blur, and make it completely vertical (90 degrees). I had the amount on .102, but it's a personal preference. Then change the opacity to whatever you want (I had mine at 50%), as long as it is clear to see the linear blur is blending in with the first layer.

The third layer was a grunge. I put the track mode on Multiply, and lower the opacity a little. The grunge I used was from Riot Gear, but I think you can get the same result from just about anywhere; deviantART might be a good place to start looking.

Here's another preview, I had four layer before, but now I only have three. IMO, you can see a clear difference.
Spoiler :

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:13 am

Someday Soon wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:perhaps a fuzzy border and a slight softening and glow and desaturate a teeny tiny bit?
I've tried that but the only color I can get is black. I tried to get a border like that but it can't change the color to white.
you gotta work in layers, if you put the same exact clip on a line directly below it and blur it then add the fuzzy border to the top clip it will look like the clip has a blurry border

Return to “Effects & Techniques”