VirtualDub

Rubystars
Org Profile

VirtualDub

Post by Rubystars » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Could you guys please help me learn how to use the virtual dub tools?

First how do I select a cerain section of video to crop or apply other tools to like LogoAway?

I've been trying to mess around a little with making another video. It's not exactly gold but it's a little better than my last one. It's got a couple of spots where there are subtitles left in it even though I tried to select clips without them for the most part.

When I try to use the software it usually only applies itself to either the whole movie, or a section I don't want it to apply to.

Years ago when I downloaded Vdub it had some help files that went with it that said how to use the thing, but this time when I downloaded it, the help section doesn't seem very helpful at all.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: VirtualDub

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:31 am

I'm not sure what logoaway is... if you are trying to get rid of the DIVX logo you can just disable it from the DIVX program itself.

but to crop all you need to do is go to Video Filters and apply null transform and then the crop button should be selected and you can choose how much you want to crop from there...

or you can do your cropping in avisynth using this filter (replacing the directions with numbers)
Crop(left,top,right,bottom)

as for selecting a clip in virtualdub:

use those to mark the beginning and the end of the "clips" you want to use..

and you should always use a lossless codec like lagarith or huffyuv if you are going to be editing off of AVI files, however they make huge sized files so don't try converting entire episodes unless you have the harddrive of awesomesauce.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:38 am

.. VD 1.2 used to have a help file and the filters all have .txt/.html files
which explain "how the Filter works"
.. If you could operate those 1.2 to 1.3c versions -- TA-DA -- you can
operate these newer ones .. .. .. .

.. The only differences are in "what they can do" for NTSC and PAL Win98se,
SeCam and ASTC WinXP, and CCCP & Vista Codec's .. T_T yes, codecs!

. The changes in 1.4 to 1.5 were upgrades to Win XP

.. VDmod was designed for DVD video.

... 1.6 thru 1.8 are designed to run in Win Vista

. From the beginning, VD was designed to Section and Clean "A Clip" and then save it.
.. Frame Rate Converters were made to connect the sections together with the same frame rate.
... Xvid and Divx, are now currently a dead format, were fine for "final product" ...
.... then came :twisted: MP4 video and audio with AC_9 surround :twisted: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

if you could use VD 1.3b without much trouble, then the newer versions are only updated to match the
newest operating systems. . .. ... there is ... .. . a new toy in town . .. ... and it works quite well ... .. . Avidemux :shock:

Rubystars
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. I'm still having a little bit of trouble trying to apply a filter just to certain frames in the video though. The last time I used Vdub was back in 2004 so now I'm starting again completely from scratch.

I noticed it won't accept the files I make in Windows Movie Maker. Is there a version of it that will do that for me and still work with Windows XP?

What about the VirtualDubMod program, will that accept WMM files?

I'd get a better program but right now I'm just mostly trying to mess around and practice making some AMVs. Eventually I hope to practice enough to be able to make some decent ones that I feel like showing other people.

I see those little arrow buttons there that were circled in red, but how do I use those to select frames to apply a filter to?

For example I have a few frames that have a subtitle in it. In the preview it looks like I can use the logoaway filter to make the subtitle basically invisible because it sort of blurs it to where it blends into the background. However I don't see how to apply this filter to just those frames. If I apply it to the whole video, it leaves an ugly, blurred awkward bar on most of the video.

Rubystars
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm trying to experiment with the arrow buttons making a selection to see how it works.

Rubystars
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:36 am

Well I found out how to apply a filter conditionally. You have to put the filter in, then hit the blend button. Then you click out of the filter window. You have to use the menu at the top to use the curve editor, then use shift click to put dots where you want the effect to come in. I saw a help video about it on YT.

The arrows button that was posted earlier in this thread is good for selecting a clip to save but it cuts it out from the rest of the video.

There is still one problem however. When I save my video, and open the video, it comes out in weird pastel colors.

What should I do to save my video without it being so messed up?

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:41 am

you have found an old problem that many of us have long forgotten about ... 16 X 16 in avi mode
and 8 X 8 in xvid, divx 4 or newer, and mpg's.

1) Xvid tried to make MPG videos possible in an AVI container.
.. at the release of Divx/xviD 4.1.1 a few problems started pop-up:
a) Green Screen
b) Washing-out
c) Shimmering Locations.

these were all corrected by "multiples of 16" in video sizing.
480 X 360
640 X 480
800 X 640
and my favorite 1024 X 768 8-)

2) some people, like Zero ( an Mpeg Specailist on this board ) found that "multiples of 8"
worked quite well. This was later tested and tried by many people; with mixed results :twisted:
.. there were rules to sizes and "matrix" setting that few of us were aware of!

today, those "matrix setting" are automatically updated by the Encoders themselves 8-)

.. in short; make your videos multiples of 16 and you should eliminate 99.999% of your problems
8-)

Rubystars
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Thank you for your reply post-it! Also thanks to the others who replied to me in this thread.

How do I adjust the video size? I have Windows Movie Maker and VirtualDub, but not any other video editing software. Can I do it in one of those programs?

Rubystars
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:42 pm

DOH! You already answered my question earlier in the thread :lol:

Thanks! :)

Alternate275
Org Profile

Post by Alternate275 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:50 pm

How did you get all those filters for VDub? I don't have any of those o:

Return to “Video Editing Software”