The Otakon 2009 thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VicBond007
Org Profile

The Otakon 2009 thread

Post by VicBond007 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 am

Final rules are up! Get 'em while they're hot!

http://www.otakon.com/amvrules.asp

Yes, we are accepting trailers again this year. That's not a typo. I can't make an official statement yet on Otakon's behalf or else the Otakorp Tribal Council will probably hand me my ass. Just know that I'm still sticking up for you guys, both past and future entrants :)

The deadline is a VERY HARD DEADLINE. We will likely be screening videos the next weekend, and the weekend after that, so that we have enough time to shoot a tape over to Otakon's lawyer for final approval before I make up the ballots and prepare the contest/overflow blocks for screening. This means that I won't even know the list of finalists until only a week or two before the con. Ya'll are gonna have to put up with being in the dark for a while. The only alternative is to push up the deadline. Do not want.

One major change this year is that all entrants will get a "l33t seat" badge for the AMV contest screenings, not just the finalists. We blocked off 4 rows last year, and only filled 2, so we do have space to work with. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for the materials this year. 500 badges don't laminate themselves :P

More details as they develop, but I'll certainly entertain questions in the meantime.
Last edited by VicBond007 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Re: Otakon 2009 AMV Contest Rules

Post by NightMistress85 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Oh that's awesome!! Thanks for the news!! :up: Time to get the ole girl finished up!

And I'm extremely happy to hear the trailer mess is worked out this year. It's a wonderful category.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Okay, so say we send in one video now, but then in May it wins something at, say, AnimeCentral... can we send in another video to replace it?

Also, can you please add this contest to the contests list?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Ryoko823
Org Profile

Post by Ryoko823 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:49 pm

I have been waiting forever for this!!! Why the heck arent they linked to website's main page?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Ryoko823 wrote:I have been waiting forever for this!!! Why the heck arent they linked to website's main page?
Because, as Vic said, they aren't official yet -- the rules have to be approved by the Otakon higher-ups before they can be officially posted.

Oh yeah, and where's DJI? :P
ImageImage

Ryoko823
Org Profile

Post by Ryoko823 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Ryoko823 wrote:I have been waiting forever for this!!! Why the heck arent they linked to website's main page?
Because, as Vic said, they aren't official yet -- the rules have to be approved by the Otakon higher-ups before they can be officially posted.

Oh yeah, and where's DJI? :P
Yea, well Animenext and Otakon are waiting pretty long to tell us their deadlines. Wouldn't think that making the rules official would take that long since this is a yearly thing.

Just would have wanted the site updated faster so I would know exactly how much time I had left to finish it. :?

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Okay, new computer, new advanced editing software, new 640 Gb harddrive, new HD support, all I need is a video.

I've been putting this off long enough. High time I start getting back to this thing. I hope this year will see a bigger competition in comedy. Here's hoping...

I'm also looking toward entering the Atlanta competition this year. It's kinda silly I've never been to a con outside maryland before. But I'm planning to change that. I wanna be more active in this hobby than I usually am. I shouldn't have anymore excuses this year, so I should get started now. Looking forward to this.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:41 pm

I guess I could send something... mebbe.

...three minutes of lensflare maybe.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:51 am

Parodic Productions wrote: I hope this year will see a bigger competition in comedy. Here's hoping...

Wanna just surrender now??? :D :lol: :mrgreen: :amv:

(just kidding!)
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 am

Ryoko823 wrote:Yea, well Animenext and Otakon are waiting pretty long to tell us their deadlines. Wouldn't think that making the rules official would take that long since this is a yearly thing.

Just would have wanted the site updated faster so I would know exactly how much time I had left to finish it. :?
They already did tell us the deadlines:

AnimeNEXT: May 22
Otakon: June 7

And in AnimeNEXT's case, the rules ARE official and linked to from their front page. As for Otakon, even though the rules aren't official, Vic just told us that "[t]he deadline is a VERY HARD DEADLINE."

Speaking of AnimeNEXT: Vic and DJI, would it be possible to not have the East Coast prescreening on the same weekend as AnimeNEXT (June 12-14)?
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”