We need a facepalm smiley

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

We need a facepalm smiley

Post by hasteroth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:15 am

I suggest this one
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Corran
Org Profile

Re: We need a facepalm smiley

Post by Corran » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:18 am

Considering "facepalm" is simply a silent way to express that you think something is overwhelmingly stupid, I'd prefer not.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:22 am

Give it a while, there will be support. I'm sure that many people will agree with me.

Is :) not silent? what about :oops: and :roll: and :wink: and :up: and :down: ? Hmm?

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:40 am

It isn't so much that it is silent (obviously emoticons are silent). I'm just not cool with people replying to a newbie's post with such a nonconstructive, negative emoticon. This place can be cynical enough as it is sometimes.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:44 am

Corran wrote:It isn't so much that it is silent (obviously emoticons are silent). I'm just not cool with people replying to a newbie's post with such a nonconstructive, negative emoticon. This place can be cynical enough as it is sometimes.
What about when people go *facepalm* or my /facepalm or (less common) just post an image like:

I never said it would be used against newbies, I can often be a cynical a**hole but I still go easy on the newbies (most of the time). I mean I was harassed for a while when I was a newbie... I'm dragging off topic. But my point is, it likely wouldn't cause problems.

Here's an idea, add a facepalm smiley, and if it causes problems, remove it.

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 am

hasteroth wrote:I never said it would be used against newbies, I can often be a cynical a**hole but I still go easy on the newbies (most of the time).

Dude, you ARE the newbie. By some people's standards, I'm a newbie. Jesus, stop giving people a hard time for signing up later that you. I don't think we really need an emoticon that encourages people to insinuate stupidity in other members, we already have image macros for that.
hasteroth wrote:But my point is, it likely wouldn't cause problems.
Explain to me how an emote representing utter disbelieve at ones stupidity would not cause problems. Hell, I don't even see any point of that other than to make people feel bad.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:54 am

Pas wrote:
hasteroth wrote:I never said it would be used against newbies, I can often be a cynical a**hole but I still go easy on the newbies (most of the time).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/339 ... 853f_o.jpg

Dude, you ARE the newbie. By some people's standards, I'm a newbie. Jesus, stop giving people a hard time for signing up later that you. I don't think we really need an emoticon that encourages people to insinuate stupidity in other members, we already have image macros for that.
hasteroth wrote:But my point is, it likely wouldn't cause problems.
Explain to me how an emote representing utter disbelieve at ones stupidity would not cause problems. Hell, I don't even see any point of that other than to make people feel bad.
:roll: Rolling Eyes has a similar effect same with :down:

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:13 am

hasteroth wrote: :roll: Rolling Eyes has a similar effect same with :down:
Not really, no.

:roll: = sarcasm
:down: = don't like/disagree

Neither of which has a main purpose of degrading a user, unless used in a manner which indicates so.

Much different to a facepalm, which would generally imply great disbelieve/shock at how stupid someone is.

Seriously, if you want to go around facepalming at people, just use an image macro. I don't really see the need for it to become a common emote (which in effect would only fuel an already increasing contempt for other users)

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:15 am

Pas wrote:
hasteroth wrote: :roll: Rolling Eyes has a similar effect same with :down:
Not really, no.

:roll: = sarcasm
:down: = don't like/disagree

Neither of which has a main purpose of degrading a user, unless used in a manner which indicates so.

Much different to a facepalm, which would generally imply great disbelieve/shock at how stupid someone is.

Seriously, if you want to go around facepalming at people, just use an image macro. I don't really see the need for it to become a common emote (which in effect would only fuel an already increasing contempt for other users)
Ah fine whatever.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:44 am

pas wins. :amv:

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”