Judges Choice Awards (JCA) results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Judges Choice Awards (JCA) results

Post by godix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:19 am

[You can add all the winning videos to your queue here. -dokidoki]

The judging is complete and it's time to present the winners of the 2009 Judges Choice Awards. Let me go over the basics for those that don't know.

This contest is designed as a compliment to the VCA contest. The community nominated and elected the judges for the JCA. Judges were asked to rank their top 5 choices in each category. Their first choice was given 5 points, second choice 4 points, and so on till their last choice was given 1 point. I then added up all the points and that was how our winners were selected.

In order to make the contest as impartial as possible I was the only one that knew who the judges were. Judges did not know who the other judges were so there was no possibility they communicated with each about their votes. They were not allowed to vote in categories they were competing in and I also removed myself from consideration for the JCA. After the electing the judges phase there was a tie for fifth place. Rather than bias results by picking between them I decided to use six judges instead of the originally planned five.

The judges were Douggie, Fall_Child42, Ingow, Niotex, Otohiko, and Zarxrax.

There were around 190 videos in the contest this year. Last year I was a judge and it actually took up more of my time than running the contest this year did. So I know this took up a lot of the judges free time and took far more effort than you would think watching a few videos and rating them would take.

Koop aided me quite a lot. Not only did he start the contest last year, not only did he give me his permission to continue it this year, but he was also helped far more than you'd expect someone who isn't running the contest to help.

This contest is not an official org event yet the admins helped promote it by putting it on the front page and also did a variety of other things that assisted me in pulling this all off.

Without these people helping me this post wouldn't be a list of winners, it'd be a rant by me about why I called the whole contest off. So thank you to all of them.

Enough rambling by me, lets get to what you're reading this for. The winners are...

Best Action Video

Ileia - Never Gonna Stop Me
Judges comments:
- An old-school action video, exactly as expected from Ileia. Superb, simple editing throughout and flow is as tight as ever.
- Action sequences are nicely done, but everything that’s non-action is edited a but weak. There’s some matter of build-up/structuring, which is nicely done.

Best Character Profile

Castor Troy - Go the distance
Judges comments:
- Adrenaline rush due to a simple character analysis. You can totally see things from the protagonists perspective in this video and that's what makes a good character profile
- No contest. Tells the story clearly without using any words. Very well-structured. What else can I say?

Best Collaborative Video

Name it "Hugo" or "Mike" or "Princess Sophia" unless the video is actually good. If so, ignore this post: A Guide to Dada
Judges comments:
- I don't think this video needs any introduction or explanation. It's a great combined effort that shows that there are no limits on what can be done creatively with the basic idea behind AMVs. A Guide to Dada is an excellent mockery of pretentiousness and yet at the same time a great example of it. There is lots of things to discover in this one little collab so I don't really see how this video could have any kind of contest here.
- Some parts of this were great. Other parts were complete shit.

Best Comedy Video

DriftRoot - Takeout
Judges comments:
- Clever and funny. Really does the alternate-story thing well, even if it is kind of disturbing.
- A funny video with a lots of “hidden messages” edited in the backgrounds of the frames. It achieves to be funny by creating a funny story itself, instead of relying on “funny audio”.

Best Dance Video

Nostromo_vx - Running Man
Judges comments:
- Video is crisp and clean and has great flow. I wasn't attacked by haruhi. It's a little long for what it is though.
- It feels like this video was a step out of the usual comfort zone for Nostromo, and I think that that's one of the strong points that make Running Man so refreshing and appealing to the audience. It has lots of passion and love put into the little stuff. The reoccurring themes make it almost seem as if there were little mini-stories revealing themselves to you while watching this AMV.

Best Dramatic Video

dokidoki - Choices
Judges comments:
- Quite thought provoking
- If there were a category for most depressing video this one would pretty much have no contest. It's sad and at the same time inspiring, a great mix of dramatic emotions.

Best First Video

Artofeel - The Conspiracy of Law
Judges comments:
- Colour me impressed.
- With a fairly interesting and also pretty long plot development this video shows way more complexity than most first videos. And even though there is some sloppy effects work here and there the really important ones are usually well done.

Best Fun Video

Bonefixer - Clarissa
Judges comments:
- Random slapstick at its finest. Superbly edited and lots of fun to watch.

Best Horror Video

Ingow - What's He Building?
Judges comments:
- Very interesting and builds up suspense, but totally anti-climactic.
- Mood was horrorish and I liked the way it feels like a campfire horror story that is being told.

Best Multi-Editor Project

Chiikaboom - Project Elysium
Judges comments:
- A lot of planning and editing work is clearly visible in this MEP. The editors seem to have added their own styles to the whole without it feeling too disconnected in the end.
- None of the MEPs this year really blew me away, but this one did make me take notice.

Best No-Effects Video

MeriC - One Guitar
Judges comments:
- Excellently synched, and a story told in classic rock ballad style.
- Due to it being a video that's only using basic fades and cuts there is more room for the actual character profile and the story in this video. Considering that that's the core of the AMV this was a pretty good decision.

Best Parody Video

Tsunami Jones - Cockpit Love
Judges comments:
- So, so wrong. But since I watched it with a huge grin from start to finish, I think it deserves a top vote.
- Hands down the most interesting parody video out there. It's refreshing and has a very subtle look at first, but it still gets its point across and sooner or later starts being very in-your-face with its concept.

Best Romantic Video

Moonlight Soldier - Still Love
Judges comments:
- Cute and upbeat - a real treat in what's always such an emo category.
- Branching out from the safe bets on romance animes this video uses a less popular show. Apart from that aspect for general originality the romance story is clear and in the foreground, pretty much all the effect work feels innovative and fitting as well.

Best Sentimental Video

Kitsuner - A Little Retrospect
Judges comments:
- AMV Nostalgia has never been this perfect, you get all the oldschool videos piled into a couple of minutes so you don't ACTUALLY have to watch them. Brilliant!
- It made me feel sentimental...

Best Trailer or Commercial

Silk_SK - Eureka Transformers v2
Judges comments:
- Perfect basic trailer recipe with everything you'd need. It's not too overloaded with lip sync and the adrenaline rush of the action parts is definately there.
- Superb match and very strong editing that makes it come together even more. Has a real "bang" to it when action kicks in. Enjoyed from start to finish.

Best Use of Instrumental Music

Cross/fade - Festival of Life
Judges comments:
- A solid and interesting instrumental video with one flaw: it's over-edited. Otherwise it's very enjoyable.

Best Use of Lip Synch

Hige-san - Drill of Destiny
Judges comments:
- Drill of Destiny is practically made out of lip-sync, yet neither does it feel overused or ever get boring. Storytelling through lip sync has never been this successful.

Best Use of Multiple Anime

Gaurry - Muse
Judges comments:
- An interesting concept that works out very well, with the multiple sources working together.
- The weird but absolutely interesting way of compositing and putting these different animes together is clearly one of the video's strong points. It's not too overdone and everything in this video feels completely thought-out and planned beforehand.

Best Use of Special Effects

Koopiskeva - Twilight
Judges comments:
- The effects fit the concepts in this one, and the level at which they're executed is very high. A good, tasteful match.

Most Artistic Video

Gaurry - Muse
Judges comments:
- Really interesting idea, and again, insanely-complicated technical work that actually comes together and makes a better video in the end.
- A very minimalstic artsy video. You just gotta love how everything flows together and how the scene selection adds to the effects and the main idea perfectly.

Most Original Video

piiiiii - End
Judges comments:
- No contest here. This video is crazy. Batshit insane awesome crazy.
- Easily hits the top of this list. Not only is the entire video made with credits and some ascii piiiiii manages to make it fun to watch and include a heart touching story.

Most Helpful Member

dokidoki
Judges comments:
- No contest. Doki has really given more to this site than anyone over the past couple of years. And I don't (only) mean his recent donation.

Most Improved Editor

Megamom
Judges comments:
- Megamom's gone from an unknown to a fan-favourite and really a top-class editor, all mostly in the space of one year.

Rookie of the Year

Nya-chan Production
Judges comments:
- Nya started off a bit shaky but has quickly improved and is really producing very interesting material now.

(Note: There was some debate if she should be included. I left for the judges to decide if they felt she should be disqualified and most didn't)

Video of the Year

Kitsuner - A Little Retrospect
Judges comments:
- So the footage isn't his the concept is just so god damn cute.
- Nostalgia level all the way up. There's no video on the org that can bring old times back this effectively.

Editor of the Year

Ileia
Judges comments:
- Ileia shows no slowing-down this year. She has not had any runaway successes this time, but her editing's no worse for it.
- Lots of very high quality stuff...

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: Judges Choice Awards (JCA) results

Post by godix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:24 am

Since the JCA serves as a compliment to the VCA I'm sure many of you will want to compare the two. Let me make it a bit easier for you:

Best Action Video
JCA - Ileia - Never Gonna Stop Me
VCA - Velho - Falling Higher

Best Character Profile
JCA - Castor Troy - Go the distance
VCA - Koopiskeva - Twilight

Best Collaborative Video
JCA - ...A Guide to Dada
VCA - i can haz marzipan

Best Comedy Video
JCA - DriftRoot - Takeout
VCA - Bonefixer - Clarissa

Best Dance Video
JCA - Nostromo_vx - Running Man
VCA - Arczi - Shake THAT!!!

Best Dramatic Video
JCA - dokidoki - Choices

Best First Video
JCA - Artofeel - The Conspiracy of Law
VCA - Artofeel - The Conspiracy of Law

Best Fun Video
JCA - Bonefixer - Clarissa
VCA - Chiikaboom - Attack Of The Otaku

Best Horror Video Macabre
JCA - Ingow - What's He Building?
VCA - Ileia - Serenade

Best Multi-Editor Project
JCA - Chiikaboom - Project Elysium
VCA - Memory Flash² Freedom

Best No-Effects Video
JCA - MeriC - One Guitar
VCA - Cross/fade - Festival of Life

Best Parody Video
JCA - Tsunami Jones - Cockpit Love
VCA - Aggressor - Code: Ecchi

Best Romantic Video
JCA - Moonlight Soldier - Still Love
VCA - Koopiskeva - Paper Image

Best Sentimental Video
JCA - Kitsuner - A Little Retrospect

Best Trailer or Commercial
JCA - Silk_SK - Eureka Transformers v2
VCA - luggeriano - Pirates of the One Piece

Best Use of Instrumental Music
JCA - Cross/fade - Festival of Life
VCA - Cross/fade - Festival of Life

Best Use of Lip Synch
JCA - Hige-san - Drill of Destiny
VCA - NightHawk - Be A Man

Best Use of Multiple Anime
JCA - Gaurry - Muse
VCA - Nostromo_vx - Auriga

Best Use of Special Effects
JCA - Koopiskeva - Twilight

Most Artistic Video
JCA - Gaurry - Muse

Most Original Video
JCA - piiiiii - End
VCA - piiiiii - End

Video of the Year
JCA - Kitsuner - A Little Retrospect
VCA - Auriga - Nostromo_vx

Editor of the Year
JCA - Ileia
VCA - Nostromo_vx

Most Helpful Member
JCA - dokidoki
VCA - dokidoki

Most Improved Editor
JCA - Megamom
VCA - Nostromo_vx

Rookie of the Year
JCA - Nya-chan Production
VCA - luggeriano

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:29 am

Were there any close calls on any of the categories?

Also, as one of the judges, I would like to just recognize a couple of really great videos that didn't win anything in either of the contests. I thought that these videos were really incredible and stood to me amongst the rest.

First of all:
purplepolecat - Death Proof
Most trailer parodies feel very contrived and like the creator really had to force some parts to fit. Even with little to no knowledge of the movie that this is based on, this trailer feels completely natural. The combination is simply genius and it works so well.

And then:
Koys - Traverse
Just watch it.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:52 am

Awesome. Congrats to all! Really cool for Ileia to win on her Bday no less. O:

PS - Thanks to Godix and the judges for a job well done and making this happen. :up:
Last edited by Koopiskeva on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi.

spk1983
Org Profile

Post by spk1983 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:55 am

Some interesting choices for the JCAs I must say...at least 2 of my incorrect choices @ the VCAs were reflected on this (No-effects and MEP)...

Very intriguing to have A Little Retrospect as Video of the Year...it's nice to have an AMV to reflect how this art form has evolved over the years...I had to have a 3-way coin toss for Best Sentimental Video this year, as Retrospect, Just For A Day and Twilight were very close in that category imo....

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 am

Hmmmm interesting. Congrats to the winners of this contest :)

I'll probably lean more towards the VCAs because I felt that the 'scope' of the VCA this year was a little bit larger than the JCAs, but there are definitely some choices from the JCA I endorse more than the VCA and vice versa. If I mash the two results together in a 55:45 type way I end up with my overall preference :D So well done coordinating this godix and happy bday Ileia =O
Last edited by OropherZero on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:03 am

With 3 Editors that deserved a win in their category, this is at least better than the VCA results. But Project Elysium as best mep? Come on.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 am

Gratz and nice results. I hope you hold the contest next year too. Thank you.

Kevmaster wrote:With 3 Editors that deserved a win in their category, this is at least better than the VCA results. But Project Elysium as best mep? Come on.
Regarding your last journal entry and this post. Seriously.

maybe you get next year into JCA judge staff and can vote for YOUR subjective opinion. Now get over it. Thx.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks, that's pretty cool, but I have to say I'm not sure how "continuing to make videos" really justifies Editor of the Year. Just sayin'. >_>
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 am

:book:

Return to “AMV Contests”