The 2009 Viewers' Choice Awards - Winners

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

The 2009 Viewers' Choice Awards - Winners

Post by jasper-isis » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks for participating in the 2009 Viewers' Choice Awards! The winners have been posted.

Comparing with the last few VCAs, the winners this year seem to be a little more varied. Here are some stats:

# unique winners: 16 videos (out of 22 possible); 17 editors (out of 26 possible)
# videos winning more than one award: 3
# videos winning more than two awards: 1
# editors winning more than one award: 4
# editors winning more than two awards: 2
Closest races: Most Improved Editor, Most Original Video
Biggest lead: Editor of the Year

Some thoughts...

The purpose of the VCA is to engage the AMV community in acknowledging the editors and videos that have stood out above others each year. This selection occurs across different skill levels, tastes, and cultural boundaries. We are a diverse group, and inevitably we will find disagreements with results that are decided by popular vote. This is fine, as long as we respect others' opinions and remember that this is a viewers' choice contest - nothing more, nothing less.

Keeping this in mind, I believe that the best way to improve the VCAs is to get more people watching more AMVs. The more videos that a member has in his head, the more entries he'll consider during the VCAs - and the contest results should (in theory) approach the most "representative" results. More importantly, increased sharing of new AMVs would re-energize this community. I believe that streaming video is a feature that could result in these improvements both for the VCAs and for the overall site community. Unfortunately it was not implemented in time for this year's contest, but hopefully it will serve us well in the upcoming months and the next Viewers' Choice Awards.

There may be some other changes to next year's contest. We might finally make the entries opt-out instead of opt-in, and we may eliminate the semifinal round. These are decisions that can't be made at this moment, as ongoing trends indicate that this site could be a very different place a year from now. The contest coordinator will have to assess where we stand next January and make the decisions then.

Whatever qualms I have with coordinating the VCAs, it nevertheless always provided me with the opportunity to get more in touch with the whole AMV community. I wish all the luck to whoever runs the contest next year. :)

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Re: The 2009 Viewers' Choice Awards - Winners

Post by Infinity Squared » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh snap, she's throwing the towel :cry:

Nah, good job on the VCA :up:

Congratulations all!

spk1983
Org Profile

Post by spk1983 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Good job to all the winners...

I know I'm not involved in making them, but I love to watch them, to see how they can manipulate these titles to create something unique.

I still think though that it was surprising that Nostromo got "Most Improved Editor", he didn't exactly come out of nowhere to where he is today :).

There would always be choices made that won't agree with everyone, but the masses have spoken.

I await the listing of the JCAs picks...and I hope to be involved once more in helping to choose, come next year...I really hope that there WOULD be one next year though.

*walks off listening to Walk On The Moon...*

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks all that voted for me.. I really didn't expect to win so much.

Party?

|:>

PS - Thanks to the org crew for doing a great job on making the VCAs happen. : ]
Hi.

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:06 pm

Aww - I didn't expect to win anything with all the other great amvs in there, so thanks to all who voted for me. You guys made my day :3

Congrats to all the winners! :up:
Image ImageImage

Funky-kun
Org Profile

Post by Funky-kun » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Congrats to all the winners. Although there are some winners I don't fully agree with (as usual) this is what the public likes so this is where the prizes go. I feel good losing exactly to Auriga and Twilight. :)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 pm

|:>

Thanks for everyone who organized and participated in this. Lots of great videos in this, even if only 5/26 categories matched my vote here - I still won't complain. This has been my favorite VCA in the last 5 years, I'd say.

Congrats to Koop for lots of well-deserved awards and doki for finally getting most helpful :up:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Yay! Congrats to everyone.

spk1983
Org Profile

Post by spk1983 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm

Well I got 15 of the categories right, but it doesn't matter really. All of them are winners in my eyes as being largely the cream of the crop...and this year, the quality overall had shot up a significant level.

I want to see how much further Nostromo can push himself in breaking boundaries in video quality, he's been continually stepping up his work since Gravity Bounce, and no end in sight....

For Koop's entry with Twilight, it's been A LOOOOOONG time since I've felt an AMV affect me emotionally, it's worth every second of the video.

Funky-kun, I must admit that I was not overly impressed with some of your earlier work, but you have matured significantly...a couple of years back, Just For A Day would have easily won Video Of The Year...but as you said, you got beaten out by Auriga and Twilight. I hope you keep on persevering and hopefully get to the top of the pack sometime.

JazzyDJ
Org Profile

Post by JazzyDJ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Interesting results. There's alot of suprise picks from what I thought would win. Congratulations to all the winners!

Koop, I also agree with spk1983... your videos this past year went along way for the romantic category. In all honesty both Paper Image and Momentum (granted Momentum was released farther back) were 2 of the few videos that I've ever seen that ever brought out that type of emotion watching an AMV. I also enjoyed the unique look you made by with the live original photography/camera panning in Twilight and fusing it with the anime.

I hope that the semi-final round is able to stay for next year. Because this helps me to find some of the better videos of the year, not just the winners. I always enjoy seeing the top 5-10 videos of each catagory and the Semi-final round just makes finding & watching them much more convenient. Big thanks to all those who organize and run the VCA's.
Number 1 on the Bottom 40

Return to “Site Announcements”