Updated: Star rating system

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Updated: Star rating system

Postby Corran » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 am

This morning we updated the members main page with an AJAX-based rating system for giving stars and quick comments. If you have javascript disabled you will still see the old system. This wasn't really a high priority, however the code already existed for the most part from another project. Please let us know if you encounter any problems with the new rating system.

You may need to press Control+F5 before the new system renders properly. (Holding shift while clicking your browser's refresh button should also work.)
Corran

Re: Updated: Star rating system

Postby Ileia » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 am

and it's cool as all hell :O
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby Corran » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:00 pm

The new rating method has been restored... sorry for the delay.
Corran

Postby Brad » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Very nice :O
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

Postby ngsilver » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:53 pm

ooooo, it's like being on netfilx :D Different, but I think i can get used to it. :up:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Kitsuner » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Is there still a Submit All button, or do I have to click each one individually every time?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness

Postby Corran » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Kitsuner wrote:Is there still a Submit All button, or do I have to click each one individually every time?

A submit all button has been added.
Corran

Postby Nessephanie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:08 pm

snazzy!
Nessephanie
Cookie Monster

Postby JaddziaDax » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:01 pm

interesting O.o
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Flusel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:30 am

Looks nice, but usability sucks. I need javascript and I also can not use the keyboard anymore to fill in the star ratings, I have to point my mouse and be careful to aim exactly. No more Tab-Switch-rate, tab-switch-rate. :down: You know, AJAX and web 2.0 is cool but often people forget about usability.

Tell me one reason why this system is better.
Flusel

Postby godix » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Flusel wrote:Tell me one reason why this system is better.

It looks pretty.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Corran » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Flusel wrote:Looks nice, but usability sucks. I need javascript and I also can not use the keyboard anymore to fill in the star ratings, I have to point my mouse and be careful to aim exactly. No more Tab-Switch-rate, tab-switch-rate. :down: You know, AJAX and web 2.0 is cool but often people forget about usability.

Tell me one reason why this system is better.

• The entire page no longer needs to be refreshed when submitting stars
  • Fewer clicks
  • Opinion links are now displayed after rating so users don't have to go searching the database for the video if they wanted to op after leaving a rating

Instead of complaining, why not just ask if we could improve keyboard accessibility? It isn't fun writing code for the site when we receive comments like this. One of the reasons the old system shows for the user if they have javascript disabled is for accessibility. Being able to select stars using the keyboard is along the same lines but was simply something I overlooked when I wrote this.

I've submitted a fix, it won't be added to the site until I can get Doki or another admin to push the change.

Edit: The code is now up-to-date.
Corran

Postby Turbo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Could you please add filter "Premiere Year" in Top Star Scale rating?
Turbo

Postby Knowname » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 am

you took out my favorite bug... being able to write a comment without star rating and still have it on there. I loved scaring noobs with that 'I'm going to your house to eat all of your cookies' then 'no really I am!!' 'I'm outside your window now!' 'when you look out your window don't look to your left cuz it's got cookie crumbs all over it! I put it there' 'you are sad cuz I ate all your cookies....' and so on. tantalizing noobs is WIN!! GIVE IT BACK!!!!
If you do not think so... you will DIE
Knowname

Postby Corran » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:08 am

Knowname wrote:you took out my favorite bug... being able to write a comment without star rating and still have it on there. I loved scaring noobs with that 'I'm going to your house to eat all of your cookies' then 'no really I am!!' 'I'm outside your window now!' 'when you look out your window don't look to your left cuz it's got cookie crumbs all over it! I put it there' 'you are sad cuz I ate all your cookies....' and so on. tantalizing noobs is WIN!! GIVE IT BACK!!!!

... :down:
Corran

Next

Return to Site Announcements