Stretching problems

-MaNi-
Org Profile

Stretching problems

Post by -MaNi- » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:08 am

First of all, hi!

I just got Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 and i've never made an AMV before.. so i was in the process of making one (turning out quite well imo) and i needed to speed up some clips.. now im using clips from the anime Bleach, all in the AVI format. Importing them is no trouble.. i can split and delete files easily, no problem.. when i render them, they all work.. the video and the audio.. but it seems whenever i decide to stretch a clip of video in order to speed it up, in the preview window there's just a blank screen, even though the audio and timeline are still playing.. as the stretched scene finishes (leading on to the next un-stretched scene) it all works again.. i've also rendered this, but same problem

so as im a beginner to this program.. i was wondering, what is causing this?? I did a search before, but didnt seem to find anything with this sort of problem.. maybe i need some codecs? (even though i already have ffdshow, the icons for it dont appear when i run the program or the rendered file)

help would be appreciated! :)

-MaNi-
Org Profile

Re: Stretching problems

Post by -MaNi- » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:15 am

Cant seem to edit my first post so i'll just make another one.. reading what other threads have said.. it seems that the AVI files im using are a big no-no?? as they are/become XVID/DIVX files, which you shouldn't use?.. so im guessing i should convert them to something else and try again??

-MaNi-
Org Profile

Post by -MaNi- » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:16 am

hmm nvm, i figured it out.. basically had to follow what was said about compressing the video's into un-lossy (forgot the term for it) format to get it working

mods delete this if ya want!

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 am

the other thing you want to do when changing the playback speed of a clip is to disable the resample...

you can find that option by clicking the clip on the timeline and choosing properties...

-MaNi-
Org Profile

Post by -MaNi- » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:05 pm

what does that doo?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:35 pm

im not sure exactly but i have found that it fixes those blank spots when you change the speed of a clip

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I believe that what resampling does is sample multiple frames to try and create new frames that wouldn't otherwise be there. Disabling it forces Vegas to only use already existing frames, thus eliminating blending and, for one reason or another, those blank spots that sometimes appear when you change the speed of a clip. (I don't know why resampling sometimes creates blank spots when altering the speed, but sure enough, it does.)
... yea ...

Return to “Video Editing Software”