2009 Judges Choice Awards

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

2009 Judges Choice Awards

Post by godix » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:43 pm

The contest is over for this year, the winners can be seen here

So most of you probably remember the JCA contest from last year. This year Koop is not able to do it. I rather liked the idea so with his permission I'm going to do it. Since this is me we're talking about I should point out this isn't a joke and I'll be treating it as seriously as Koop did.

As many of you know, currently the Viewer's Choice Awards are going on. The Judge's Choice Awards is a contest designed to complement the VCA's in order to provide a different viewpoint on the videos released within the past year. It is a separate contest and is in no way affiliated with the VCAs. To be perfectly clear, this is not an org hosted event but rather an event which Koop ran last year and I'm reviving this year.

The basis of the JCA is to have judges select the winners rather than the general public. The public's participation is still needed though since they will nominate the judges. I believe last years contest was successful and hopefully this years will be as well.

The rules:

- The first part will be nominating potential judges. I will only accept nominations for OTHER people. Those who nominate themselves will be ignored unless someone else also nominated them.

- Once the nominations are over I will contact each person nominated and ask if they'd be willing to judge. Those who are willing will be voted on by the community. The five people with the most votes will be asked the judge.

- The pool of videos to be judged will be the VCA semi-finalists. Since not all videos were qualified for the VCAs judges will have the option of adding one video of their choice to any category. Each judge will view these videos and rank the top five in each category, assigning 5 points to the best down to 1. I then added up those points per category and, hopefully, post the winners right after the VCA results are announced.

- Judges will not allowed to vote in the categories they're nominated in.

- In the event of a tie I will act as a tie breaker, otherwise I will not be involved in the judging.

- The judges will remain anonymous during the voting process, it will be announced who they were once the results are posted.

- Judges will be asked to make a few brief comments on the videos they select. Some of those comments may be used publicly (EG, in the results thread) but will not be attributed. To address something that came up last year, I will not attribute any comments and will not release how individual judges voted. If the judges themselves choose to do that then they're certainly free to.

- People who served as judges last year will be eligible to serve this year if they wish (expect for myself obviously). For variety sake I would recommend you vote for different people though.

- There are no prizes other than bragging rights.

Timeline:

Nominating judges - Will start immediately and will end at Friday March 13th at midnight CST. Nominations are finished

Voting for judges - Voting has started and ends Wednesday the 18th at midnight. Voting is now finished

Judging - Judges will be asked to watch all choices and get their results to me by March 24th.

Winners announcement - I will announce the results shortly after the VCA results are announced.

If you have any questions or concerns about the JCA in general please post in this thread. Nominating judges and voting for judges will be done in other threads to prevent confusion.

The nomination thread

The voting thread
Last edited by godix on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:26 am, edited 7 times in total.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: 2009 Judges Choice Awards

Post by mirkosp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 pm

:up: for JCAs again. They do offer a different point of view rather than the VCAs, a less "notoriety" driven one, although it can be considered somehow elitist... but anyway, yes, I'm glad you're holding 'em.
One thing I'm not sure I really understood, though:
godix wrote:- The pool of videos to be judged will be the VCA semi-finalists. Since not all videos were qualified for the VCAs judges will have the option of adding one video of their choice to any category. Each judge will view these videos and rank the top five in each category, assigning 5 points to the best down to 1. I then added up those points per category and, hopefully, post the winners right after the VCA results are announced.
Does this mean that judges will be able to add one video per category or just one video in all categories that it would fit into?

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Judges will be given the option to add one video to the contest. That video can be in whatever category they wish. Last year judges were given the option of two videos total but IIRC not many took advantage of it and none of the added videos won. There are a lot of videos in the VCAs, even with some being in multiple categories, so I want to keep it to a reasonable amount for the judges to be able to watch and judge fairly in several days.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Noice :o Does this mean I can still win Most Artistic Video?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Brad wrote:Noice :o Does this mean I can still win Most Artistic Video?
no.
Hi.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:24 pm

You cut me deep.

*bleeds some art all over you*
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Nice, was wondering when this was going to happen.

Does that mean you're disqualifying yourself from both contests? Koop did last year, since he was JCA coordinator, and he wanted to maintain a good basis of comparison between the two contests.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:37 pm

jasper-isis wrote:Does that mean you're disqualifying yourself from both contests? Koop did last year, since he was JCA coordinator, and he wanted to maintain a good basis of comparison between the two contests.
If I realized earlier that I'd be doing this I probably would have disqualified myself for the VCAs. As it is the VCAs already got to semi-finals. Since the only category I'm in is one where I'm the obvious joke and since I'm not actually involved in the judging I don't see it as a much of a problem. If you want go ahead and remove me from the VCAs but I don't see the point really. I'm not Koop, it's not like I do things good enough to be seriously considered in either the VCAs or JCAs.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 am

godix wrote:- Judges will not allowed to vote in the categories they're nominated in.
Does this apply to MEPs as well?

If so, do judges who aren't me still get to vote in the categories Retrospect is in even if they happen to be listed in the collabs?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:22 am

godix for Most Helpful wrote:The pool of videos to be judged will be the VCA semi-finalists. Since not all videos were qualified for the VCAs judges will have the option of adding one video of their choice to any category.
Does this mean that the judge will throw away one vid and rate some other instead of it, or that the poll of the vids will be extended for all judges (10 vids for each judge to rate 1-10 in the worst/best case)?

Return to “AMV Contests”