After Effects - Increasing thickness layer

SenTrix
Org Profile

Re: After Effects - Increasing thickness layer

Post by SenTrix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Turn on the 3d layer switch for the precomp, and I think you might also have to turn on one of the other switches. Collapse transformations, maybe?
i tried turning on the 3d layer for the pre comp but dsnt work and where can i find collapse transformation? cant find it.
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Even if cinema4d or maya may (or may not) be more efficient with AE, I'd recommend blender (especially for something as simple as a book) for one main reason, it's free, and it's powerful. That of course, is if you're going the full 3D route.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Do you still need the layers to have a 3D space? You just want your timeline to be more manageable? Then yeah, do what Zarxrax said. Pre-comp the 3D layers, check the 3D box, then collapse transformations

And as Vivaldi pointed out, Blender is definitely a viable option for the budget-conscious. The only problem with Blender though is purely a logistical one. There's a somewhat steep learning curve, especially if you're new to 3D, and the amount of traning available for it is far less than what's available for Maya, 3DS Max, XSI, and Cinema4D. It doesn't make it any less of a good program, it just means that it's somewhat harder to get into.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:00 am

Vivaldi wrote:Even if cinema4d or maya may (or may not) be more efficient with AE, I'd recommend blender (especially for something as simple as a book) for one main reason, it's free, and it's powerful. That of course, is if you're going the full 3D route.
Thanks so much for the link, i was searching for a for 3D compositing program. thanks :up:
And do you know a site that do tutorial covering the basic for blender?
Brad wrote:Do you still need the layers to have a 3D space? You just want your timeline to be more manageable? Then yeah, do what Zarxrax said. Pre-comp the 3D layers, check the 3D box, then collapse transformations

And as Vivaldi pointed out, Blender is definitely a viable option for the budget-conscious. The only problem with Blender though is purely a logistical one. There's a somewhat steep learning curve, especially if you're new to 3D, and the amount of traning available for it is far less than what's available for Maya, 3DS Max, XSI, and Cinema4D. It doesn't make it any less of a good program, it just means that it's somewhat harder to get into.
Aah thanks i finally got it looking more of a 3 dimensional now. thanks for the help everyone. i'll probs post something else when i run to another wall.

SenTrix

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Sentrix wrote:
Vivaldi wrote:Even if cinema4d or maya may (or may not) be more efficient with AE, I'd recommend blender (especially for something as simple as a book) for one main reason, it's free, and it's powerful. That of course, is if you're going the full 3D route.
Thanks so much for the link, i was searching for a for 3D compositing program. thanks :up:
And do you know a site that do tutorial covering the basic for blender?
Brad wrote:Do you still need the layers to have a 3D space? You just want your timeline to be more manageable? Then yeah, do what Zarxrax said. Pre-comp the 3D layers, check the 3D box, then collapse transformations

Aah thanks i finally got it looking more of a 3 dimensional now. thanks for the help everyone. i'll probs post something else when i run to another wall.

SenTrix
Though Brads right about the volume of tuts compared to others, there's tutorials scattered all throughout the web. But I have found;

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

To be useful for learning the interface and basic modeling in it.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Vivaldi wrote:Though Brads right about the volume of tuts compared to others, there's tutorials scattered all throughout the web. But I have found;

Hey nice :o Didn't know about that site. Though I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising. While Blender is definitely not in the mainstream in terms of industry acceptableness (meaning, you don't see many studios/production companies hiring blender artists), it still has quite a large community of hobbyists based on the open source nature of the program. So it stands to reason that somebody would make this freely available book.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:46 am

can you export blender camera data to ae yet?

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:15 am

blabbler wrote:can you export blender camera data to ae yet?
why yes, i'm glad you asked:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110383

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:47 am

blabbler wrote:
blabbler wrote:can you export blender camera data to ae yet?
why yes, i'm glad you asked:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110383
LOL, talking to urself there?? :shock:
Vivaldi wrote: Though Brads right about the volume of tuts compared to others, there's tutorials scattered all throughout the web. But I have found;

oh, nice link...was kinda looking for this last night.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 am

Return to “Effects & Techniques”