Final Cut + ? = great video effects

jrm1561
Org Profile

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Post by jrm1561 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Niotex wrote:Final Cut has 8 point [garbage] masking. For something as simple as a rectangle tv screen its more then sufficient.

http://beautardy.blogspot.com/2008/02/g ... t-pro.html

When you've done that simply position the other clip behind it.

-edit/
There are even plugins that support up to 50 point garbage masks. But this will work perfectly for you right now, so no use over complicating things. When doing extensive masking/rotoing [animated objects/chars] I recommend to use stuff like Photoshop/Gimp instead. As the name suggests "garbage matte/masks" are for quick and dirty things. But they also work fine for simple shapes such as screens.
Oh..I see what your talking about I'll keep playing around with the Matte and figure it out. Thanks for the help everyone.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

What Nio said will work for stationery or slow moving objects that do not change perspective. Now if you want to do something like I did in "Lost in an Anime Dream", you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 am

JudgeHolden wrote:What Nio said will work for stationery or slow moving objects that do not change perspective. Now if you want to do something like I did in "Lost in an Anime Dream", you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.
:up: What sexy here said.

jrm1561
Org Profile

Post by jrm1561 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:02 pm

JudgeHolden wrote:What Nio said will work for stationery or slow moving objects that do not change perspective. Now if you want to do something like I did in "Lost in an Anime Dream", you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.
I got it to work on square shapes but I haven't been able to figure out if I can do it on oddball shapes and especially with curves.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:11 am

jrm1561 wrote:
I got it to work on square shapes but I haven't been able to figure out if I can do it on oddball shapes and especially with curves.
Nope, not in final cut. You'll need to use Motion, Shake, or a photo editing program like Gimp or Photoshop for anything complex (trust me, I tried back in the day).

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:55 am

JudgeHolden wrote:you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.
Actually, Motion 2 will track a moving object (edge detection and image analysis) and deform the mask to account for the perspective changes while it moves - as long as the movement isn't too radical of course.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”