Using Photoshop CS3 Extended

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Hareoic
Org Profile

Using Photoshop CS3 Extended

Post by Hareoic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:56 pm

Quick question: Should I use Photoshop CS3's ability to directly edit videos or would I be better off exporting the footage as an image sequence from Avisynth and editing those instead?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Using Photoshop CS3 Extended

Post by mirkosp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Hareoic wrote:Quick question: Should I use Photoshop CS3's ability to directly edit videos or would I be better off exporting the footage as an image sequence from Avisynth and editing those instead?
Editing video in photoshop is fail... image sequence and then import in premiere or w/e you use to edit videos.

Hareoic
Org Profile

Post by Hareoic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Hareoic wrote:Quick question: Should I use Photoshop CS3's ability to directly edit videos or would I be better off exporting the footage as an image sequence from Avisynth and editing those instead?
Editing video in photoshop is fail... image sequence and then import in premiere or w/e you use to edit videos.
I mean for directly modifying a clip. Like masking mouth movements or preparing an area for color keying.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:41 pm

Why bother preping something to be keyed when you can just create an alpha channel in Photoshop, save a .psd or .png file, and be done with it?

And I do agree with mirk, Photoshop's 'ability' to edit video is kinda sucky. Just export a still image sequence from your editor, edit the stills, and bring them back into Premiere or whatever.
... yea ...

Hareoic
Org Profile

Post by Hareoic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:33 pm

LivingFlame wrote:Why bother preping something to be keyed when you can just create an alpha channel in Photoshop, save a .psd or .png file, and be done with it?
How exactly would that work with a video when the areas that need keying change every few frames? (Sorry, alpha channels are still something I don't entirely understand)

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:33 pm

I'm assuming that when you say you're preping something for color keying, you mean you're using Photoshop to paint the background one solid color. Rather than that, just cut the background out entirely in Photoshop and skip applying a key effect all together. Better render time and everything that way.

And basically, an area with an alpha is just a see-through area. So when you erase a background in Photoshop and see that checkered background, that area will have an alpha channel applied to it in Premiere. PSD and PNG files retain alpha information.

As far as cutting out characters and objects are concerned, I'd suggest checking out this guide. The guide is based on CS2, but is perfectly applicable to other versions of Photoshop.
... yea ...

Return to “Adobe Software”