Simple effect, how I makez it?

MiyaDV
Org Profile

Simple effect, how I makez it?

Post by MiyaDV » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfGOsw7pdg

Requesting a step by step tutorial of this hole video, shouldn't be too hard.
. . . . . .

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: Simple effect, how I makez it?

Post by Niotex » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:32 am

Its all collapsed pre-compositions with a null camera.

The intro is done by making strokes and applying those on transparent layers and then simply moving those layers about in 3d space. The fading in of all the panels is done by simply fading those in behind/on top of the strokes in their precomps. From there on its mostly just 3D collapsed comps that do their thing in the main comp. I mean making a 3D cube then pre-composing and collapsing it in the main comp, so you can rotate it is pretty much a given. Which is pretty much what all of this video is. Simply position the layers in 3D space how you want them be it manually or by use of an expression or plugin. And then simply collapse it in the main composition.

The biggest issue with making a video like this is working out all the menu's. The compositing is really straight forward and pretty much peanuts to be honest. If you get the idea of how to make a 3D cube in AE along with how to create a camera that links to a null. Then you are pretty much 95% done with this video effect.

To make a null camera simply make a new camera and a null object. Then parent the camera to the null object. If you want to make your control very clean and organized then parent the camera to null #1 and then parent null #1 to a second null. This way you can use null #2 for normal X,Y,Z and use null #1 for rotation along X,Y,Z. This makes your camera a lot easier to manage as you have 3 sets off inputs as such:

*Camera - Zoom/Depth of Field
*Null #1 - X,Y,Z Rotation
*Null #2 - X,Y,Z Position

Now for the actual 3D cubes and layering there are multiple solutions. You can get plugins that essentially let you sort stuff out in 3D space but I personally prefer the more hands on approach here. As you're working mostly with squares/cubes here it would be nice to keep everything in even numbers. So when making a cube create 6 solids with all the same hight/width, so lets go with 100x100 for now. Select 2 solids and rotate these 90° along the X axis. Then select an other 2 and rotate these 90° along the Y axis. Now select the 1 of the remaining solids and move this 50 pixels backwards on the Z axis. Now more the other one 50 pixels forward on the Z axis. Now do so accordingly with the remaining 4 solids along their respected axis's. So now you've created a cube, congratulations.

Now the problem with this right now is that you can't move the cube around without repositioning all the layers. In order to fix this we are going to pre-compose the layers. Simply select all solids that you used to create your cube and hit Ctrl+Shift+C. A little window will pop up asking if you want to move all the selected attributes into the new composition. The obvious box to highlight here would be yes. Now if you go back to your main composition the 6 solids will have condensed into one pre-composition layer. Now when turning on the 3D switch for this layer it isn't going to do much as it will simply rotate the 2D layer as if footage. A little button/box to the left of the 3D/Motion blur switch on the layer called collapse is what we're looking for in this case. Hit that and your pre-composed layer will be all nice and 3D again. And with it being one layer now it behaves as such. And thus when rotating it'll rotate the entire composition rather then the individual layers. So now when a camera is introduced one can simply rotate around the cube while moving the cube itself around as well.

These are pretty much the only 2 things you need to know to achieve what you are going for.
I hope this'll help you out a bit.

MiyaDV
Org Profile

Post by MiyaDV » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:55 am

Niotex wrote:Its all collapsed pre-compositions with a null camera.

The intro is done by making strokes and applying those on transparent layers and then simply moving those layers about in 3d space. The fading in of all the panels is done by simply fading those in behind/on top of the strokes in their precomps. From there on its mostly just 3D collapsed comps that do their thing in the main comp. I mean making a 3D cube then pre-composing and collapsing it in the main comp, so you can rotate it is pretty much a given. Which is pretty much what all of this video is. Simply position the layers in 3D space how you want them be it manually or by use of an expression or plugin. And then simply collapse it in the main composition.

The biggest issue with making a video like this is working out all the menu's. The compositing is really straight forward and pretty much peanuts to be honest. If you get the idea of how to make a 3D cube in AE along with how to create a camera that links to a null. Then you are pretty much 95% done with this video effect.

To make a null camera simply make a new camera and a null object. Then parent the camera to the null object. If you want to make your control very clean and organized then parent the camera to null #1 and then parent null #1 to a second null. This way you can use null #2 for normal X,Y,Z and use null #1 for rotation along X,Y,Z. This makes your camera a lot easier to manage as you have 3 sets off inputs as such:

*Camera - Zoom/Depth of Field
*Null #1 - X,Y,Z Rotation
*Null #2 - X,Y,Z Position

Now for the actual 3D cubes and layering there are multiple solutions. You can get plugins that essentially let you sort stuff out in 3D space but I personally prefer the more hands on approach here. As you're working mostly with squares/cubes here it would be nice to keep everything in even numbers. So when making a cube create 6 solids with all the same hight/width, so lets go with 100x100 for now. Select 2 solids and rotate these 90° along the X axis. Then select an other 2 and rotate these 90° along the Y axis. Now select the 1 of the remaining solids and move this 50 pixels backwards on the Z axis. Now more the other one 50 pixels forward on the Z axis. Now do so accordingly with the remaining 4 solids along their respected axis's. So now you've created a cube, congratulations.

Now the problem with this right now is that you can't move the cube around without repositioning all the layers. In order to fix this we are going to pre-compose the layers. Simply select all solids that you used to create your cube and hit Ctrl+Shift+C. A little window will pop up asking if you want to move all the selected attributes into the new composition. The obvious box to highlight here would be yes. Now if you go back to your main composition the 6 solids will have condensed into one pre-composition layer. Now when turning on the 3D switch for this layer it isn't going to do much as it will simply rotate the 2D layer as if footage. A little button/box to the left of the 3D/Motion blur switch on the layer called collapse is what we're looking for in this case. Hit that and your pre-composed layer will be all nice and 3D again. And with it being one layer now it behaves as such. And thus when rotating it'll rotate the entire composition rather then the individual layers. So now when a camera is introduced one can simply rotate around the cube while moving the cube itself around as well.

These are pretty much the only 2 things you need to know to achieve what you are going for.
I hope this'll help you out a bit.
Woah... thanks for explaining that to me, I had just downloaded the trial of AE a while back, haven't really looked much into the 3D stuff but this will sure help me out alot. I'mma follow everything you told me step by step later lol
. . . . . .

micktam12
Org Profile

Post by micktam12 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:16 am

I dont know if this might help,

But i made sort of what was in that AMV, at the begging, i made this with Sony,Particle illusion. (its in HD)
It is kind of crappy but even with those programs you can do a version like in that AMV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Yh3d61D5M

It is basically just 3D moving and making lines that glow. ( for my video)

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:36 pm

micktam12 wrote:I dont know if this might help,

But i made sort of what was in that AMV, at the begging, i made this with Sony,Particle illusion. (its in HD)
It is kind of crappy but even with those programs you can do a version like in that AMV

http://www. href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 9Yh3d61D5M

It is basically just 3D moving and making lines that glow. ( for my video)
It's called [3d]stroke and its a lot easier to achieve in AE.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”