Premeir vs After Effects

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
SS4Gojetanks
Org Profile

Premeir vs After Effects

Post by SS4Gojetanks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Currently, I use sony vegas 7.0 and have been for over a year, but animations in 3d seem pretty limited. A friend of mine suggested trying some of the Adobe software. So for a complete newcommer into the adobe world, what are the differences between after effects and adobe premeir.

My Idea: I have no clue whether this actually right or not :P
From what I have gathered (without any research whatsoever), it seems like After Effects is "better", as in it has more possiblilities for 3D and premeir is just like sony vegas with different interface.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: Premeir vs After Effects

Post by Kariudo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Premiere is an editing program whereas After Effects is a motion graphics/compositing program.

AE is better for doing digital effects...but it can't compare to premiere for run of the mill editing.

It sounds like AE is what you're after, but you'll still be doing your editing in vegas. (You can edit in AE, but it is pretty akward and it's a pain to try to sync to audio in AE)

SS4Gojetanks
Org Profile

Post by SS4Gojetanks » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm

ooh, thanks that helped alot :D

Is all Adobe Software "linked" ?
I was reading on the Adobe website you can import illustrator and photoshop stuff.

For example:
I start editing in Premeir Pro.... cut a clip... ctrl + c... go to after effects, ctrl + v... will the clip appear in AE?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:43 pm

I think you're supposed to be able to do that. I know that I can ctrl+c in AE 6.5 and ctrl+v into premiere pro 1.5...but I haven't really done any extensive work between the two.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only similar versions are linked (ie Premiere CS3 + AE CS3, but not premiere 5 and AE CS3)

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:07 pm

I think the bridge is only included if you buy the entire CS.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Falconone
get the Punch
Org Profile

Post by Falconone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:55 am

but you can save your Premiere project and improt it into AE and work there

chui101
Org Profile

Post by chui101 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 pm

You can import and export across programs, but if you have the Master Collection or Production Premium installed you can do what's called Dynamic Linking, where you can have an AE comp inside your PPro sequence, and if you update your AE comp the PPro sequence will automatically update to reflect those changes.

If Dynamic Link is enabled, you can context-click a clip in PPro and have it convert to an AE sequence, which takes that portion of the source footage and automatically sets up a new comp in AE, and automatically sets up a dynamically linked clip in your PPro timeline.

It's pretty nifty, and greatly speeds along your SFX workflow.
Cyber Ninja Productions - http://www.devilsbsd.net

Return to “Adobe Software”