Can we please get some elaboration in here?

This forum is for the discussion of AMVs for the 2009 Viewers' Choice Awards. This is a temporary forum and will be removed when the contest is done.

Can we please get some elaboration in here?

Postby jasper-isis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 am

The purpose of this forum is to generate comments and discussion about entries for this year's VCAs. When recommending editors and AMVs, I'd encourage you to give some reasons as to why you think they deserve the prize (rather than just listing them without any explanation).

I know there's nothing stopping you from merely providing lists, but just a sentence or two elaborating on your choices can make people take a lot more notice of your recommendation. There are a lot of videos out there. What makes an AMV stand apart could be simple the fact that someone bothered to express their thoughts on why it should be recognized.

I've enabled the edit button in this forum for those of you who might want to add to your posts.
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Re: Can we please get some elaboration in here?

Postby Nya-chan Production » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 am

The edit button = win.

Going to add descriptions/stuff right away~
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby dreamawake » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:28 am

Done. Also, edit button should be aloud in all forums. That'd be great.
DZ|BSP
dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle

Postby Kitsuner » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:29 am

ArashinomeAMV wrote:Done. Also, edit button should be aloud in all forums. That'd be great.

That would be way too noisy.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness

Postby JudgeHolden » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 am

Does it matter? :book:
ImageImageImageImage
JudgeHolden

Postby Krisqo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 am

JudgeHolden wrote:Does it matter? :book:

Nope :book:
Krisqo
Cooking Oil

Postby Nya-chan Production » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:43 am

None of those "xnumber" posts haven't made me DL any vid of the nomination yet, though. (And I already got 6 of them.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby dwchang » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Not really. Most competent people realize this forum is just a giant circle jerk among friends. I mean does anyone really need to write "I'm putting this person because they are my friend" behind most of their posts?

...not to say there aren't legitimate recommendations, but let's be honest here people. :nono:
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby angelx03 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:15 pm

All in all, most the voters will be the lurkers who never posted or come to these forums (I wonder if they even go to this particular sub-forum).
ImageImage
angelx03

Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL

Postby dreamawake » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 pm

dwchang wrote:Not really. Most competent people realize this forum is just a giant circle jerk among friends. I mean does anyone really need to write "I'm putting this person because they are my friend" behind most of their posts?

...not to say there aren't legitimate recommendations, but let's be honest here people. :nono:
DZ|BSP
dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle

Postby godix » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:48 pm

dwchang wrote:

Not really. Most competent people realize this forum is just a giant circle jerk among friends. I mean does anyone really need to write "I'm putting this person because they are my friend" behind most of their posts?

That's one of the most cynical and yet entirely accurate things I've seen posted on the org from someone other than me.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby jasper-isis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:53 pm

So are you going to just sit back and defer to that mentality, or will you actually do something to make things better?

angelx03 wrote:All in all, most the voters will be the lurkers who never posted or come to these forums (I wonder if they even go to this particular sub-forum).

I hope that some of them do wander in here eventually. And I would hope that when they do, they'd find something more than just topics full of lists and a load of cynicism.

Some people around here are always complaining that the rest of the community "doesn't understand" what makes a really good AMV or whatnot. Well, this is your chance to point out to them exactly what makes certain AMVs great. Nobody's gonna be convinced one way or another if you don't even try to give a reason.

Phade used to call this forum "Shameless VCA Promotions," and nobody was allowed to promote just their own videos. If circle jerking is the reality today, then it's practically the same thing as self-promotion. There's nothing shameless in recommending videos that you truly like, but if there's going to be a lack of discussion in the process then once again, it might as well be the same thing. It's up to you to actually help make this forum (and this entire community) useful.

If you don't want to help out, that's your call, but don't come around lamenting the state of the community when you've chosen to lounge around in cynicism instead of at least trying to improve things.
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby godix » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:01 pm

jasper-isis wrote:So are you going to just sit back and defer to that mentality, or will you actually do something to make things better?

Of course I won't just sit back and defer to that mentality. Instead I'll actively try to use that mentality to win Most Helpful.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby jasper-isis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Mark my word, the day you actually defeat that mentality is the day that I will willingly abuse my admin powers and hand you Most Helpful. :idea:

(j/k... kind of...)
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby Ingow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Actually I spent the whole day going through my backup DVDs of 2008 AMVs, making lists, posting in the threads and giving a bit of a personal comment about almost every video. It felt pretty good trying to care about the VCAs in some way again.

Writing longer reviews can really break your back though, I noticed that for some categories I just had to make a URL dump out of it because things started repeating and I didn't want to copypaste and apart from that I added videos that I myself didn't enjoy that much but gave them enough credit to think that others might wanna know about them and probably would vote for them. But for those I just couldn't say that much about them of course.

Mainly what I noticed was that there was a first swarm of replies and links and then everyone just added "x2" "x3" "x4" without themselves adding any other recommendations of their own. That's ok I guess but 80% of the thread? Huh. I think we have more than just 20 videos qualified and deserving of an award.

Also so far I didn't really spot any discussions.
Ingow

Next

Return to 2009 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards