Suggestions for software encoding

PopGenie
Org Profile

Suggestions for software encoding

Post by PopGenie » Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:24 am

I am new to the AMV thing... I would like some suggestions on programs etc. to use to convert files and edit the video. All my videos are finally encoded in VCD format for viewing through DVD player.

Specs: 1.2GHz Athlon
512mb pc133 RAM
TONS of drive space (~160 GB ^_^)
GeForce 2 MX400 vid card

Programs:
VirtualDub 1.4.10
TMPGenc 2.0
Winamp (re-encode audio for muxing in TMPGenc)

Currently I am encoding video in this manner:
-- Converting 320x240 to AVI with V-Dub, SmartSmoother (diameter 7/threshold 35) and WarpSharp (depth 40) filters with DivX low-motion @ 2100kbps, 100 <crispness> and keyframe every 10secs.
-- Strip audio from AVI and re-encode with Winamp
-- Multiplex encode AVI and WAV files in TMPGenc to VCD specs (MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1246kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 128kbps).

As stated before, I would like some suggestions for software to edit/splice/create these files.

Hope this isn't too much information. Thanks in advance for your input!

Mike T.
popgenie1@aol.com

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:11 am

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:36 pm

i wouldn't really follow that guide exactly anymore.
ErMaC's been planning to update the thing cause some of the stuff is rather outdated or he's found some new methods.

personally, i'd use the same software, but use your own settings such as changing the bitrate, or changing the MPEG encode method or keep the frame size to 720x480.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:13 pm

ErMaC has updated the part of the guide that needed updating.

The rest of it is still fine.

Mechaman
Org Profile

Post by Mechaman » Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:32 am

And note that you can't break the VCD spec if you want them to still work in a settop player.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:18 am

Actually you can, depending on the DVD player you're planning on playing them in. Many players support what's been called "XVCD" or VCD which has been encoded out of spec in terms of bitrate. Check http://www.vcdhelp.com for details about XVCDs and what players can play them.

However 352x240 still sucks ^_^ Get a player that can do XSVCD (or SVCDs in higher-than-spec bitrate) and then make those, they're far better for transferring stuff to video if you have no real video-output. 480x480 is pretty darn good, and with higher bitrates it's even better, although some MPEG2 encoders can do wonders with multipass VBR while remaining within SVCD spec.

Mechaman
Org Profile

Post by Mechaman » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:02 am

Doesn't always happen. Your SVCD from last year's AX became a coaster after the family player(a fairly recent mainstream 2-disc model) didn't know what to make of it, and none of our home machines have DVD player software.
(and by the time I found a freeware MPEG2 codec, the CD-R had degraded).
I'd rather stay on the side of compatibility rather than risk it for bit of extra bandwidth.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”