Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:59 am

Garylisk wrote:I dunno, I felt the second series was the concrete that binds it all together into a single package. The gore is not as high, but it just blows my mind how everything eventually got weaved together.
Yes, the second series does bind it all together and explains everything, but to me it just doesn't have the great feeling of the first one. It's like the thing with magic tricks - when you watch them, you're fascinated. Upon hearing how the whole thing worked you go "meh". The tense, paranoid atmosphere is no longer present (not as much at least). Also the characters get somehow naive...
Spoiler :
Ooishi is a good example - at one point he believes everything the kids tell him, no matter how weird it sounds
I know it's a simplification in order not to repeat the same scenes over and over again, but it bothered me nonetheless.
Garylisk wrote:
Spoiler :
My favorite arcs are the ones where Mion and Shion were trading places. When the "answer" arc for that one came, and you saw all the stuff that was going on in the background, and see just how demented Shion had become... man, it sends chills up my spine. I cringe every time I see the fingernail pulling scene. :shock:
True, thaose were really the best of the lot.

Hareoic
Org Profile

Post by Hareoic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:03 am

Yeah, the second season wasn't nearly as exciting as the first season.

Which is why I'm so excited about the third season OVA containing Saikoroshi-hen, which I like to call the Ultimate Irony Chapter.

ultimateX021
Org Profile

Re: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

Post by ultimateX021 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:09 am

Damn!!! Seeing the first four episodes up to episode nine so far makes me want to watch more. Basically, the entire anime is based in Arcs. So, I'm in the middle of the Question Arcs right now. And I do have some questions that need answering, but I'll continue watching to find out.

One thing I gotta say about this series is that all the psychotic laughs, expressions, and actions got me thrilled because at first some of these characters look quite "innocent" until their mood shifts dramatically. My eyes grew wide open. :shock:
One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. One who doesn't ask a question is a fool FOREVER....... ~Chinese Proverb~

jonhmaster
Org Profile

Post by jonhmaster » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:56 pm

I finished watching the first season of Higurashi and so I say something is beautiful.

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:00 pm

jonhmaster wrote:I finished watching the first season of Higurashi and so I say something is beautiful.
Okay. Now STOP.

The second season will advance the "plot" of the show and give a happy ending, but it removes practically everything from the show that made it appealing in the first place.
Do yourself a favor and stop where you are.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:12 pm

Ishbalan wrote:
jonhmaster wrote:I finished watching the first season of Higurashi and so I say something is beautiful.
Okay. Now STOP.

The second season will advance the "plot" of the show and give a happy ending, but it removes practically everything from the show that made it appealing in the first place.
I watched the second season for closure. I didn't watch it just for the gore. The storyline is pretty unique though the ending is pretty corny the stoyline by itself is a good reason to watch season two.

Besides that there are new OVA's being released, and they are labeled as a "Sequel" so technically you should watch season 2 before watching em.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Chrono63
Org Profile

Post by Chrono63 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Ishbalan wrote:
Okay. Now STOP.

Yeah, do yourself a favour and don't listen to Ishbalan. ^^
S2 may not be as good as S1, but it was still great.
I dare you challenge me.

ultimateX021
Org Profile

Re:

Post by ultimateX021 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Chrono63 wrote:
Ishbalan wrote:
Okay. Now STOP.

Yeah, do yourself a favour and don't listen to Ishbalan. ^^
S2 may not be as good as S1, but it was still great.
Season 2 answered all the question marks I developed while watching Season 1. It was an indicator to how and why those events happened. I loved the fact that it revealed those answers even though I missed the sudden insanity I experienced in Season 1. They come hand in hand, one for "creeps" and the other for "closure"
One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. One who doesn't ask a question is a fool FOREVER....... ~Chinese Proverb~

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:28 am

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:30 am

I also liked the second season.It answered all my questions from season 1 although it had a lot of corny scenes and at the end it reminded a lot of soap opera with the "all united against one". Still,it was an enjoyable ride and imo,it kept the flow from 1st season...

Watch it for sure but don't expect any gore.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”