Osakaisthebombs question page

Osakaisthebomb
Org Profile

Re: Osakaisthebombs question page

Post by Osakaisthebomb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks a lot.......now my laptop won't restart!

no worries. Two tries as the toshiba reboot repair disk fixed it (thankfully). after I had did everything you said I discovered I forgot to erase the ccc thingy and thats what attempted to restart me laptop. I finish installing everything tonight and tell you if it worked sometime in the morning.

But seriously that scared me for a sec.

p.s. I'm not blaming you or anything so don't take that first line offend you :wink:

Osakaisthebomb
Org Profile

Post by Osakaisthebomb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 pm

Osakaisthebomb wrote:Thanks a lot.......now my laptop won't restart!

no worries. Two tries as the toshiba reboot repair disk fixed it (thankfully). after I had did everything you said I discovered I forgot to erase the ccc thingy and thats what attempted to restart me laptop. I finish installing everything tonight and tell you if it worked sometime in the morning.

But seriously that scared me for a sec.

p.s. I'm not blaming you or anything so don't take that first line offend you :wink:
wow...check out that horrible grammar. I'm the king of typos am I not?

Osakaisthebomb
Org Profile

Post by Osakaisthebomb » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Okay I just finished re-installing magix and downloaded both 2.1 and 3.0 amvapp. I ran 2.1 and only checked the huffyuv and lagerith box when installing. with just doing that, magix finally allowed the files to be imporeted with almost no crashsin but some files still don't load all the way. Still these files were old and not the ones from my pc (usb flash broke so I have to buy a new one soon).

Whats the next step? some from the amvapp or install the cccp thingy?

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:32 pm

That scared me a little bit too since ccleaner has kept my computer in good shape for over two years now. I don't know what happened there, but either way it looks like you got things worked out :)

Now, you only installed certain components of the app, but you might need some of the other things later on. As I mentioned before, it's generally not a good idea to do installations/uninstallations in the middle of a project, so you are going to want to have everything from the app [pick one version only] and the full cccp before you do anything. In your case, you could technically install everything that you didn't already install, but if I were you I would probably use the app's uninstaller to uninstall what you have (yeah... I know you just did that... :|), then install the app in it's entirety following these steps (pretty much just click yes to everything except when there's a picture in the guide) Then install the cccp, and restart your laptop.

I know Krisqo mentioned he/she had problems editing with the cccp installed in 2005, but I've had it since I started editing in 2006 spanning two computers, without any problems... so maybe it's more stable now? In perspective the cccp is optional for editing, but depending on the types of files you are dealing with, it could prevent you from getting errors that say "the file format you are trying to open is not supported" or stuff like that. So idk, I'll let you decide... but that's just what I suggest.

Not to lose sight of the big picture, but Ultimately, we'll need to find out what type of files these are, to see if they are editing-friendly:
-video (ex. HUFFYUV XviD)
-audio (ex. mp3 PCM ...might not have audio either...)
-container (ex. .avi .mp4)
If you can load them into virtualdub, it might tell you under File Information, or you could use a program like gspot
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:23 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote: I know Krisqo mentioned he/she had problems editing with the cccp installed in 2005, but I've had it since I started editing in 2006 spanning two computers, without any problems... so maybe it's more stable now? In perspective the cccp is optional for editing, but depending on the types of files you are dealing with, it could prevent you from getting errors that say "the file format you are trying to open is not supported" or stuff like that. So idk, I'll let you decide... but that's just what I suggest.
2005-2006 IIRC is when I had the problems. It might work better or I just set it up weird or something. I've just been too afraid to install it again. But I've been able to edit with everything from Xvid to H.264 so I really don't see a need for it IMHO.

But that's just my two cents since I know Osaka has been battling this crud for a while now.

Osakaisthebomb
Org Profile

Post by Osakaisthebomb » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:25 pm

I didn't install anything fromt the amvapp except the thing I metioned and then I installed the cccp thing and restart the computer. And it's basically back to where it started only loading a little better but still freezing at on point of a video and continuing freeze after it starts up a again. (in other words freezes -15 seconds later it continues to play for a sec and then freezes again).

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to help much without knowing what type of files you are dealing with. At this point it really could be anything since all sorts of things could contribute to a video being slow on playback/preview:

-codec used to encode your source video*
-computer specifications**
-size of preview window
-attached audio
-Frame dimensions
-Frame rate
-File size and video duration

*if it is highly compressed, your computer has to do a lot of decoding on the fly, which requires a lot of computing power; this is partially why lossless video [highly uncompressed] is the most editing-friendly.
**even if you did everything correct, some computers simply cannot decode or transfer lossless video fast enough to generate a smooth preview [although there are ways of getting around this...]

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:17 am

If you are looking for the file types, just run them through GSpot. It should tell you everything.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... QndLSkE9PQ

Just open the Zip file I made and run GSpot.exe. You don't need to install anything. Just drag your file into the interface and it should tell you all the information like this:

Osakaisthebomb
Org Profile

Post by Osakaisthebomb » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:35 pm

what info do you need from me when I put the file into it?

one thing I noticed was that it read the codec as dvsd when they are supposed to be huffyuv files.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Ideally we'd want to know all information, and capturing an image of the gspot window could save some typing.
Most keyboards have a button/combination to take a screenshot. Once the screenshot is taken you can open an image editor like the GIMP or photoshop and ctrl+v paste the image into the program. Then save it as a .jpg, upload to a place like photobucket, and post the image here. To take a screenshot of just the current window, try alt+'print screen'

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but it sounds like you have DV-AVI, which might be the whole problem. Technically, that is okay to edit with-- but not great; in all likelihood you're going to want to convert it to HUFFYUV or mjpeg using vdub. [but disable the audio stream first]

Return to “Video Editing Software”