Need Advice

silver_moon
Org Profile

Need Advice

Post by silver_moon » Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

OK.... I'm pretty new to Premiere since I just got it last week, and so far I've been able to figure out most of what I need to know from the manual but I'm having some technical problems. I'm using Avisynth to directly edit VOB files.

When I export the entire project it stutters at some spots where I used transitions or overlays or some effect, but it's fine with these parts when I just export a ten or twenty second workspace. I think the computer isn't able to handle the whole four-minute project. Is there a way I can fix this, or should I export segments and then append them in Virual Dub? I had to do this with my old program and computer, but would like to avoid it so I can maintain the image quality.

The image size when I export the project is 720 x 480, as you need to use to work Avisynth, but I'm not sure if it's the right aspect ratio for the footage (it's a widescreen movie). What would the right size be?

Any help would be appreciated very much :)

grayplague
Org Profile

Post by grayplague » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:26 pm

Well, first off let me state that a video source doesn't not have to be 720x480 resolution for use with AVIsynth.

The usual aspect ratio for widescreen is 16:9 or 1.85:1 (there almost the same ne way :wink:) That can just be adjusted though after the project is exported from premiere.

Im not sure what exactly is going wrong with your project but i can give one tip of advice. Try converting the clips from MPEG2 to DV (via avisynth to premiere) I find it much easier to work with DV in premiere and the resulting video is just as good. Of course you would need a good bit HD space though.

oh yeah, I like your avatar :wink:
/::.:.. <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... er_id=1190" target="#new"><b>my profile</b></a> ..:.::/|/::.:.. <a href="http://www.ijouhassei.com" target="#new"><b>my site</b></a> ..:.::/

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:43 pm

Try converting the clips from MPEG2 to DV (via avisynth to premiere)
How do I go about doing that? Right now I'm just using avisynth to edit the original VOB's in Premiere.

Should I be setting the footage to "maintain aspect ratio" in Premiere? Thanks for the help.
oh yeah, I like your avatar
LOL, thanks :D

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:44 pm

Try converting the clips from MPEG2 to DV (via avisynth to premiere)
How do I go about doing that? Right now I'm just using avisynth to edit the original VOB's in Premiere.

Should I be setting the footage to "maintain aspect ratio" in Premiere? Thanks for the help.
oh yeah, I like your avatar
LOL, thanks :D

grayplague
Org Profile

Post by grayplague » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:54 pm

Well basically to convert the mpeg2 vob files to DV, just open their AVS files you made up in premiere and save the clips using Microsoft DV AVI. Then use the new files as your source. They are a lot bigger (compression ratio of only around 9:1 :( ) but they work much more smoothly with premiere.
silver_moon wrote:Should I be setting the footage to "maintain aspect ratio" in Premiere?
If all your source is of the same ratio, I wouldn't even worry about it until the video is complete and exported. You can then change the ratio easily using something like VirtualDub or TMPGenc.
/::.:.. <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... er_id=1190" target="#new"><b>my profile</b></a> ..:.::/|/::.:.. <a href="http://www.ijouhassei.com" target="#new"><b>my site</b></a> ..:.::/

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:21 pm

OK, thanks for your help :)

Waldo
Org Profile

Re: Need Advice

Post by Waldo » Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:54 pm

silver_moon wrote: When I export the entire project it stutters at some spots where I used transitions or overlays or some effect, but it's fine with these parts when I just export a ten or twenty second workspace. I think the computer isn't able to handle the whole four-minute project. Is there a way I can fix this, or should I export segments and then append them in Virual Dub? I had to do this with my old program and computer, but would like to avoid it so I can maintain the image quality.
Are you trying to output the video to tape realtime or do these stutters occur when trying to render the video to a file?

Return to “Video & Audio Help”