Donations and a New Storage Server

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38 pm

$12 is the level for the forum, that's where that came from... But, anyway, the point was that $X where x is any reasonable number will be a bigger sock-puppet deterrent than a <100MB download to most everyone.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:01 pm

*Has not read this topic since page 2 or so*

I just had a random passing thought for a possible feature for either donators or everybody, so I figured I'd go ahead and throw it out there for people to think about and mold into something useful or just nuke out of orbit. If it's something that's been thought about before, then my bad - like I said, I haven't actually been keeping up with this topic.

Anyway, what if something like a download queue was implemented? The first two reasons that I can think of for such a thing are:
a) people with slow internet connections, and
b) people that are currently in a hurry and don't have time to download something, but want to download it later.
Think about it as though you've just gotten up in the morning and you have a few spare moments before work/school/whatever. You find a slew of new announcement threads and think you might want to check several of them out, but you don't have time right then to download them all. You could just place an "Add to Queue" button next to the LOCAL link, and allow people to save all those videos in one place for future reference/enjoyment.

I dunno, it's just a random thought that came out of nowhere for me. I figured it might at least be worth sharing so others could build on it or just throw it away. And like the first post suggested, it wouldn't take much interaction from the admins after implementation. Again, if it's been mentioned previously in this thread, then sorry about the random echo this post is.
... yea ...

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:30 am

Can we delete old videos? The goal of the site is to collect every video ever created. Deleting videos would go against that purpose.
What about having the option to delete a video you had uploaded from the local server and replace it with a direct download link? There are many people that have available servers and wouldn't mind deleting their videos from local and hosting them on their own servers - there are people who actually do that, but I'm sure there are more people that didn't have that option in the past but do now.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:25 pm

*I haven't been following the thread much either*

but in terms of extra features for donators, how about this:

A feature that generates a suggested filename based on information in the profile description. Personally, I like having my files named "Editor - Title - Artist - Song - Anime.ext" so a feature like this would make things much easier.

For example, there could be a box below the download links that has all the information listed on one line for easy copy/paste; Maybe even [with the option of] doing it automatically for Local downloads.

there would have to be a place to specify how the name is generated like:

-1st item in filename: ____Editor/Creator____
-2nd item in filename: _____AMV Title_______
-3rd item in filename: ____Musical Artist_____
-6th item in filename:____Original Filename__

-Separator between items:_____ - _________

based on how the VidID tag works, it sounds possible.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

thoromyr
Org Profile

Post by thoromyr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:04 pm

A feature that generates a suggested filename based on information in the profile description. Personally, I like having my files named "Editor - Title - Artist - Song - Anime.ext" so a feature like this would make things much easier.
I would really like that feature

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:10 pm

I'd really like an edit button in more forums for folks who donate above a certain amount. Not all forums, of course, but the Help forums would be a great start. I'll be sitting there, spending an hour on a post and previewing the heck out of it to try and give someone assistance, and then realize after I post that I made a glaring error I can't fix without posting AGAIN (and potentially making another error). No doubt it's my own fault, but still...it would help me help other people if I could edit my posts in those Help forums.

marblesmarbles
Org Profile

Re: Donations and a New Storage Server

Post by marblesmarbles » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Could you try these guys for stuff to sell?

http://www.cafepress.com/

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:58 pm

marblesmarbles wrote:Could you try these guys for stuff to sell?

http://www.cafepress.com/
Phade used them once in the past. I think he wants to steer clear of them.

marblesmarbles
Org Profile

Post by marblesmarbles » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:17 am

ah bugger ... I really fancied a t-shirt.

I remember my class used the website for charities week once and it was okay

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:57 am

he's looking into his options for alternative similar sites last i checked... I posted about cafepress at the beginning of this thread, his response is there.

Return to “Site Announcements”