Corrupt HDD recovery progams?

Hiro The Dragon King
Org Profile

Corrupt HDD recovery progams?

Post by Hiro The Dragon King » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:48 am

Probably not the right forum but I'm sure the mods will move it if there is a better place for it.

After multiple power outages during torrent downloads, the head on my 320G crashed and did a substantial amount of physical damage. I was able to recover everything important from it, i.e. project files for everything I've done school, AMV, BYOND, and otherwise in the last 6-8 years. I got them onto my main 160G HDD and for some reason that went corrupt about a month later. So, I jacked the 20G HDD from my friends broken computer, set up Windows, and proceeded to run a recovery scan and it got to 14% before the power went out again. The computer wouldn't turn back on. Turns out that the power supply failed in the last power outage.

So, now I have a corrupted HDD. I don't think that there is any physical damage to the drive, but I could be wrong. I have tried a program to recover it using my friends computer and it works great but when it gets to about 13% it slows down tremendously. Runs for two days and only gets to 14% before a) the power goes out, b) the power flickers for a split second and the computer turns off, or c) the power flickers for a split second, the computer stays on...then the power goes out.

Does anybody know of a good way to recover files from a corrupted HDD, preferably in shorter than a two day time period, as that is about as long as my luck lasts.

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Re: Corrupt HDD recovery progams?

Post by Krisqo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 am

1)get a UPS for your computer so if the power goes out again, you have time to shut the computer down properly

2) From searching online, I found this which offers some insight that might help. I'm no hardware guru so I don't know if it will work for you.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r210444 ... rrupted-HD

Hiro The Dragon King
Org Profile

Re: Corrupt HDD recovery progams?

Post by Hiro The Dragon King » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, the UPS is just out of reach and will have to be put off 'til I get a job. I still have to get a PSU first. Though, the second thing you gave me was a great solution. I'll have to try some of that the next time my friend is over.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”