Research Survey

mitomimi
Org Profile

Post by mitomimi » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks for the plug lonewolf ^^. I really enjoyed our conversation.

mitomimi
Org Profile

Post by mitomimi » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:00 pm

The survey has been up for almost 8 weeks now, so we will be taking it down tomorrow. Today is your last chance to fill it out if you haven't already! Many thanks for all of you who responded. I'll be working on compiling the results in the coming weeks and will post a summary here.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:19 am

hehe I can't wait to see the results. Best of luck!
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Earendil18
Org Profile

Post by Earendil18 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:38 am

I want the results too! :wink:
wHeRe'D thE lAsT pIgGY gOOoo?

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: Research Survey

Post by dokidoki » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 am

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Yes it's a necropost, but it's on-topic. After years of work, Mimi's project is over, culminating in the "Kids' Informal Learning with Digital Media: An Ethnographic Investigation of Innovative Knowledge Cultures" Final Report. The report covers a diverse range of people and communities, but the section most relevant to us, of course, is Creative Production. Mimi did 19 interviews yesterday, and the report was the subject of the #1 emailed article on the New York Times. (More articles) So yeah, the AMV stuff is rather mixed in there, but Mimi says she'll be writing up the AMV work "as it's own thing" and it will later be part of a book on otaku culture.

And while I'm on the topic of meta, I'd like to mention that the vidding community recently produced a documentary of their culture, which can be found here. Laura Shapiro writes: "These segments, all about three minutes in length, were created for MIT's New Media Literacies program. The intended audience is middle school and high school students, so they're meant to be short and sweet. They're not posted in any particular order, but IMO the optimal viewing experience is to watch them as follows: 'What is Vidding?', 'Tech and Tools', 'Good Vids, Bad Vids', 'Collaboration and Community', 'I Like to Watch', 'Why We vid'"
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:22 am

Funny, I went on BBC, and bumped into an article there as well:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7740895.stm

Very cool :D
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:03 am

I heard about this today from the local hosts for talk radio although until just now I didn't realize they were talking about the same thing that was on the org. I do recall the whole thing came off as a joke, especially the line that went something like kids are learning valuable skills because they make myspace pages and post on forums. Oh yeah, there's something to put on the old resume.

"Hey everyone, this person posts on myspace! That's some valuable skills! You're hired. Here's your hairnet and remember, we don't use the term 'super size' anymore. Not since that movie of that name."

IIRC they also mentioned kids learn to protect their online identify. Please, the only reason there are children on the net who haven't been molested is that there just aren't enough pedophiles to track every child down. Kojima has been slacking recently and Oni is behind bars now or something.

Although now that I've skimmed through the report it's slightly more serious than the hosts made it sound. Still I gotta wonder if anyone really needed research to find out that kids who play on the internet all day tend to pick up some computer abilities.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:47 am

I've been away for about two years, this reply notification brings me back... then I read Godix's post and realize nothing has changed. Still the in-house troll, I see.

On topic, I was one of the people interviewed for that survey. Reading it was nostalgic, if you can really use the word "nostalgic" for something that happened only a couple of years ago.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 am

unfortunat teh internets rernforce bad grammasz

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:32 pm

How weird - just yesterday I recalled getting interviewed for this and wondered what ever became of it...and suddenly I find out that it did indeed become something! Thanks for the head's up, doki! :o

/me investigates

Return to “Site Announcements”