Site Downtime and Forum Upgrade

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: Site Downtime and Forum Upgrade

Post by dokidoki » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:47 am

godix wrote:Is HTML gone for good or will href tags and the like be back someday?
I believe phpBB3 filters it all out. In part to avoid CSS tomfoolerly I think.
Nunchuck wrote:I guess it got mentioned before. Are you going to fix the width of the page?
Give it time.
Orwell wrote:If you click on the forum profile from the org profile, it still says the forums are down. How about a Send PM function from the org profile?
I think dero fixed it the former.
JaddziaDax wrote:the pm links on the journals were down last i checked too O:
I fixed it.
76 wrote:And your senseless flaming is annoying.
godix? flame? never...
Dark Lord of Debate wrote:So I still can't connect to the FTP server. Will that be fixed tomorrow? Sorry don't want to seem impatient, but I would like to be able to upload the new video I made last week.
See dero's site status post.

I copied over the avatars. A few didn't copy but maybe they were old/dead. Now if you see "User avatar" instead of an avatar you may have to shift-reload the page. If you still see the text, it could be a dead link to an avatar hosted offsite, like Minion's. (as of this writing)
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:38 am

godix wrote:Those of you who liked fixed screen sizes disturb me. You're the type of anal retentive bastards who throw a fit if a single book in your house is 1/4 an inch larger than the others.
Then explain to me why most of the internet is fixed width pages. You set the minimum width at like 800 or 1024, since it would be sad if people don't have at least a monitor capable of that. It's for the simple fact that when you put content a page it will look the same to nearly everyone else. Otherwise, with variable width, it's going to look different to nearly everyone and you'll get constant questions of why your page looks so odd to them. I've seen so many sites designed where I know the creator only looked at it on their computer, thus only seeing it in their resolution. And they wonder why people say their sites looks like crap. I'm no web page designer, but it is just common sense. And as far as criticizing so early on; I was the first one to bring up the width and I stated right after that I'm not going to nitpick too much because the forum just got back up. I do realize a lot of time and effort has already gone into this and more is required. I have no problem with waiting or adjusting to the change. However, constructive criticism or concern is perfectly valid. (And yes, I'm an anal retentive bastard. So sue me.)
Insert clever text/image here.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:34 am

anubisx00 wrote:Otherwise, with variable width, it's going to look different to nearly everyone
This is the entire point of the web. The idea is that a site marks up some content and lets the client display it however it wishes. That way people reading on cell phone aren't stuck trying to scroll around a 2048x1536 website, people with huge monitors aren't stuck with 640x480, people with wide screen monitors aren't stuck with 4:3 pages and vice versa, etc. The theory is that the web is totally independent of the platform used thus allowing anything capable of getting on the internet to display content in whatever way it can. Fixed width sites, 'best viewed in IE', and other web annoyances where a site tries to force how it appears on my screen are the bane of the internet.

To put it another way, doesn't this paragraph say the same thing regardless of if it's displayed on one line or ten lines?

Another way of looking at it, the site allows me to use skins to view the org as I want. Browsers allow me to use programs to customize my viewing as well, with adblock I have most smilies and org banners blocked for example. It's simple to change my default font, font size, colors, how links are displayed, etc. I can enable or disable popups at will. I have control of how large or small I want the browser window to actually be. Java, javascript, and flash only work when I wish them to work. So with all this customization available why force me to view the org in a size someone else chose when I can choose a size I like instead?

As for websites that look like shit, I ain't gonna disagree, but would you try claiming that ALL editors should be forced to not use AE because of the horrible vids have abused AE?

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. I've spent significant time forcing Firefox to show things the way I want to see them not the way some dumbass with a HTML for dummies book thinks I should see them. I have yet to see a valid argument for why I should give up control over how *MY* computer shows things when there's no real reason to.

Ninja mother-figure
Org Profile

Post by 76 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:19 am

I don't understand why you're(Godix) even apart of this discussion when you're going to modify your viewing experience anyway. (Or perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying. Wouldn't be the first time.)

I'm not getting up in the air or anything about the width, but I do prefer it that way, and I'd like to have it that way without screwing around with preferences on FF(I'm lazy.)

I simply thought it was the best setup for a forum. It had a good flow of viewing to it and I was used to it.
Everything came from nothing, therefore everything is nothing.

There's nothing to worry about.

Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:23 am

Personally I like the screen width as it is now. Being able to resize my browser and have the forum follow is nice :3

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 am

I think the new layout is fine. I preferred the old one but this is fine.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:44 pm

nessephanie wrote:Personally I like the screen width as it is now. Being able to resize my browser and have the forum follow is nice :3

I like to have my browser full screen, and given the resolution of my monitor (1680 x 1050) I hate looking at the forums now because I feel like they're in the wrong aspect ratio!

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but the search function is pretty busted. Apparently, all available instances of the word "amv" have occurred in the past few days. There's only 5 pages. My guess is that it's not returning results from before the new forums since I'm pretty sure there's more than that....
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:30 pm

my monitor/video card must suck... the forum doesn't look much different in size for me now

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Is it just me or is every single post considered new? I thought after a short time it would go back to normal. I tried resetting my board cookies, but apparently that doesn't reset it. Sorry if I'm asking a problem with an easy fix, but I assume its another early issue.
Insert clever text/image here.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Posts will stay new until you either read them or click the link that says mark all threads as read. There is also a link in the index that lets you mark the entire forum as read.

Return to “Site Announcements”