AMV Autobiography

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Odinsdragondaughter
Org Profile

Post by Odinsdragondaughter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:08 am

LuluandAuron wrote:Can relate to a point, it was actually the loss of a baby that got me back into my art and eventually into editing. For anyone who read my bio, that was between power point and the vcr to vcr editing :wink: I'm okay about it though. Every child teaches you something about yourself, Bradon just did it very quickly in his short little life. I gave up a degree in Science to pursue art LOL
I hear thee. I decided to use my freedom to pursue my own art - something I'd abandoned shortly after high school because a graphic arts teacher told me I didn't have enough talent to do it professionally. After my husband left, I tried to continue working on a degree in early childhood education that I didn't really want. You know how it is. Going back to school to get a degree that would earn you a paying job instead of pursuing something you honestly enjoy. When I got depressed about my life falling apart and my financial aid petered out, I said to myself, "Screw this shit. I'm going to do things my own way." Even if I had succeeded in earning my ECE degree and got a job at a preschool or whatever, I still would have been struggling with a low paying job that I wasn't happy with. I figure if I'm fated to be poor for the rest of my life I might as well do something I like for a living. Now, I just need to actually finish some of my original art so I can sell prints of it. >_>

Yah. I learned a long time ago that I should take what people say about my art with a grain of salt. Not everyone will like it. That's cool. I don't like everything everyone else does either. So long as even just a few people take pleasure from my offerings then I've done something right. :)

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:51 am

boooring... well everybody knows I like talking too myself... err I mean about myself (sometimes too myself)... if I only had the time :/ but seriously who'd be interested in this kind of crap...

Well ok <see> I've been known by 3 names, sub0, knowname and aimaime-san (I tried for just aimaime but I messed up the registration...) together we make up aimaime... I actually put this into video form once... not one of my most spectacular moments :/

Anyway first video was sub0's Ghetto Bebop... this was before free hosting... and I lost it. But I swear this thing was a friggen masterpeice, made totally in Vdub, it's WAY old, I still plan to resurrect it.

Second video came roughly 8 months later sub0's Domo Prefect. It's just a fun video, Domo Arigato, Mr. Robotto... I still love watching it, highly suggested :o

Third video isn't up here, it's a Skies of Arcadia video so it basically was against the rules... I think... still not sure about that. Anyway it's just a little thing I did just cu I could. very imaginative though... I coulda' done it better... (such is the story of most of my videos...)

Fourth video is my contest 'winner'... ok it's the only one I made to win a contest, it never did though :/ Akira: Castle on a Cloud, My first video under Knowname (has or at least started out having my most dramatic videos). This was my first video with real DVD footage (still don't know if Domo was real dvds or pirate... damn you Anime Castle :/)

I than made an unreleased quicky with Akira just cuz it was in there...

Sixth video was supposed to be my Opus, a 3 parter for each of NATHAT's (Ima Soku.... blah blah) three DVDs... I'm still not done with it, but I spit out the first one (Discord and Doom). Angst... overcomes... me :/

2004-2006 was a blur.... mostly mmo dominated no amvs

came back when my grandma died :/ I didn't care for her, but I spat out one of my best amvs, Shine V1.

You don't want to hear about 2007... I made like 30 amvs (including meps) and I'm NOT typing all of that out.

... unless I get a request for it...

I want to point out my one using Metallica's Sad But True.... IT'S A FREEKING LOVE SONG PPL!! Why does nobody see this??

LeapofFate
The Madvillain
Org Profile

Post by LeapofFate » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:34 am

I swear... the org should make book of compilation out off all these autobiographies.

<3

Anyways, I enjoy reading these as well.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:13 am

How the hell did I miss this thread for an entire week?

I'd write one, but I have nothing insightful to say other than "Here's the point where I began to hate the entire process and slowly began to give up."
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

LuluandAuron
Org Profile

Post by LuluandAuron » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 am

Odinsdragondaughter wrote:I hear thee. I decided to use my freedom to pursue my own art - something I'd abandoned shortly after high school because a graphic arts teacher told me I didn't have enough talent to do it professionally. After my husband left, I tried to continue working on a degree in early childhood education that I didn't really want. You know how it is. Going back to school to get a degree that would earn you a paying job instead of pursuing something you honestly enjoy. When I got depressed about my life falling apart and my financial aid petered out, I said to myself, "Screw this shit. I'm going to do things my own way." Even if I had succeeded in earning my ECE degree and got a job at a preschool or whatever, I still would have been struggling with a low paying job that I wasn't happy with. I figure if I'm fated to be poor for the rest of my life I might as well do something I like for a living. Now, I just need to actually finish some of my original art so I can sell prints of it. >_>

Yah. I learned a long time ago that I should take what people say about my art with a grain of salt. Not everyone will like it. That's cool. I don't like everything everyone else does either. So long as even just a few people take pleasure from my offerings then I've done something right. :)
I know the feeling. I did very well in Chemistry and Genetics, but it just didn't make me happy. Something was definitely missing. I realized I was only going for the degree to make my family happy rather then what I wanted to do. So good for you Odinsdragondaughter I'm glad something good came out of your difficult time.

Knowname wrote:boooring... well everybody knows I like talking too myself... err I mean about myself (sometimes too myself)...
Hehehe when your working on a project, do you tend to do this? The reason I ask is, I always have to watch myself at work. I work as an editor and even on my breaks, I'm still editing in my head....but it tends to come out my mouth LOL

I love reading all these stories. The one about Ileia having to wait to go to school was sad :( Are you in school yet or still waiting?

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 pm

actually it is interesting to see how amvs has affected life decisions outside of the hobby
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:36 pm

in about 1996 my friend introduced me to anime, and i was hooked! So i started to make fan art of it, drawing in any free time i had. Then in 1997 or 1998 he introduced me to amvs, and i was hooked again. I wanted to learn how to do this, so i found out you can do it with 2 vcr's. Long story short i started making videos using 2 vcr's and cartoon network recorded anime in late 1998. In 1999 i learned about the computer programs that were used to edit videos with. So in 2000 i downloaded a trial of Ulead Video Studio 4. I made some 30 second amvs with it and was instantly hooked again. In august 2000 i got my mom to buy me UVS 4, being only 14 i didnt have a credit card.. so she bought it for me and i paid her back. When I got it I started editing as much as i could... In 2001 i bought my first capture card, A cheap Dazzle external card. I was able to capture my own footage now! So I started to edit like mad again. In 2002 i then bought a Matrox Mystique and Rainbow Runner capture card after being refered to it by Aluminum Studios. A friend of mine also gave me his copy of Adobe Premiere 6 and Photoshop 6. Now i was ready to start editing for real. In 2002 I made some of my best videos, Time, Pussy All Night, My December... and I was really having fun, Editing just for the fact that it was tons of fun and creative. A nice way to express myself and be artistic.
In 2003 I sat down and really started to learn how to edit. I was tired of putting out videos in under 6 hours, and up until this point the only videos that took me more then 6 hours to do were Time and My December. I knew if i put my mind to it i could make a really good video. So work started on Crying Angel. After showing the beta of Crying Angel to a few people at AWA i had a few of them messaging me telling me i needed to finish it, so I did. In December I started hanging out with Mr. Pilkington, and thus began my TONS of crappy videos, some were funny and some were just total shit. Reguardless of how bad the videos were I was having fun with amvs. In 2004 I entered my first amv contest and won with crying angel. I was so happy, and suprised that i had accually done something that other people enjoyed and thought was worth winning a contest for. That also began the darker years of my editing, with the name tardo... So months went by, me editing like mad, pumpping out one crappy video after another, some accually were liked, some were just horrible tho. Even with all of the bad videos I made i still think that i wouldnt be as good as i am without them.
In 2005 i did more of the crappy videos, i did have a few good ones. I thought Tainted Angel was pretty well edited.. I also finished a video called Addimix, it was a project i started in 2004, it was my 16 minute video. Also finished was a video that Mr. Pilkington masterminded called 7 Lefts make a Right. Interesting fucked up video. Around August someone asked me to make a music mix for the Linkin Park Project. This being my first real attempt at mixing music i gave it my best shot. The result was accually suprisingly good. In October i tried to start editing good videos again, trying to reinvent myself. That didnt work out so well tho. I also started a video called Angel Of Death, My goal was to finish a video using nothing but Adobe After Effects. I Finished this in 2006 and i was impressed by the results.
In 2006 I tried to make some of the best videos i could. Trying to get people to forget about the shitty videos i'd made before but i failed in doing so. One thing i was able to do is make a few videos using only After Effects. So i edited a few videos in 2006, but 2 i am most proud of were made for the Sailor Moon Project. Amazingly I did 2 really good videos for that project and people didnt totally hate them as i thought they would.
in 2007 i started to slow down on my editing, having almost 175 videos at the start of the year i decided i would try to slow down and make better videos... this was all good until I got put in iron chef matches... In July i made Tardos final video, i figured if i was going to make better videos i need to kill off that name. I found myself at the end of the year doing mainly iron chef videos and getting kicked from projects for no real reason. so i left a-m-v.org and didnt really have time to make any more videos...
2008... The end of my amv editing... I started the year by finishing up the iron chef matches i was in. In febuary my friend got me into playing WoW... In march i made an iron chef, but felt no real strong pull towards amvs.. The love for my hobby which i once had was gone.. In may a friend of mine asked me to make a video for her... this would be my last real video. I have tried to make videos but they always turn out disappointing me before i can finish them, so i stop editing.. so after 200+ amvs, the love for this hobby is gone, maby it will return maby not. All i know is everytime i try to edit i find myself upset at how horrible the video is. So for now im gone, just another editor lost to wow.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:11 pm

AMV_4000 wrote:reallyhardtoreadbio
Paragraphs please O: !!

Regardless, good times.. cept for the wow thing.. |:
Hi.

Odinsdragondaughter
Org Profile

Post by Odinsdragondaughter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Hee hee. I talk to myself too. Mostly arguing with the computer though. =-P

For the fanartists out there: Have any of you tried putting your fanart in your amvs? I've thought about it but I don't think I have the patience or the skills to draw hundreds of frames myself. O_O

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Odinsdragondaughter wrote:Hee hee. I talk to myself too. Mostly arguing with the computer though. =-P

For the fanartists out there: Have any of you tried putting your fanart in your amvs? I've thought about it but I don't think I have the patience or the skills to draw hundreds of frames myself. O_O

Return to “General AMV”