Looking To Improve

craZy18gurl
Org Profile

Looking To Improve

Post by craZy18gurl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:57 pm

Hey ya'll.

I've been using Sony Vegas 7 for my AMVs and I recently got Vegas 8. I've pretty much learned and have become well familiarized with all the basic tools, features, effects etc. in Vegas and know how to use them all quite well. Like the pan/crop and doing various effects with the given effects we have in Vegas, etc.

Now before I get started on my next music video, I wanted to learn some new things. New effects, tricks or whatever. So I was wondering if anyone good point me out to some good tutorials/guides on doing various Vegas effects and such. And maybe some plugins as well (free ones, for the moment).

All the help I can get will be much appreciated.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:44 pm

it's a lot easier to ask a specific question than it is to ask for general ones that said this one is the first one that comes to mind, unfortunately it tends to get littered with "don't use divx/xvid in sony vegas" every now and again, however some people have asked how to do specific things, so you might find some interesting things in there...

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:35 pm

One thing I've learned, with Pan\crop you can create excellent camera motion even where there is none. And using it correctly can make even static scenes flow well with the amv. (Don't forget the rotation tool.)
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

craZy18gurl
Org Profile

Post by craZy18gurl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:10 am

it's a lot easier to ask a specific question than it is to ask for general ones that said this one is the first one that comes to mind, unfortunately it tends to get littered with "don't use divx/xvid in sony vegas" every now and again, however some people have asked how to do specific things, so you might find some interesting things in there...
Yeah I've actually gone through the first few pages back when I first got Vegas learning the basics. Guess I'll check out that thread again and jump through the pages.

Anyways, thanks.
One thing I've learned, with Pan\crop you can create excellent camera motion even where there is none. And using it correctly can make even static scenes flow well with the amv. (Don't forget the rotation tool.)
Yeah camera motion is something I recently just got a hang of.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:16 am

well if you are having difficulty coming up with a specific thing you want to see, don't be afraid to ask if you can't think of how to do it yourself..

Also, Vegas isn't limited to "drop in effects" so don't let yourself be stuck with only the video filters and whatnot... Thinking in layers really helps, so when it comes to making effects you want to see, don't get yourself stuck on one video line.

craZy18gurl
Org Profile

Post by craZy18gurl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:47 am

Yeah I've been playing with multi layers and effect, trying to see the different things I can work.

Well there is one thing I wanted to know about. Something I've seen in several videos. Um, lets see how to explain this...

Have you seen the intro to Namco vs. Capcom? If not, I believe you can find it on youtube.

For the first bit of that intro, those shapes? I've seen several MVs with those kinda things over their footages, moving in sync with their music.

Now I'm thinking I could probably work something like that up with the help of Photoshop but I was wondering if maybe there was as well another way to do that perhaps solely through Vegas?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:06 pm

you talking about those circles and squares in this video?

you can do that effect with a black media generator and cookie cutters, however the "pulse lines" you might want to use photoshop with Vegas.. if you want to apply that effect to video just be sure to duplicate the clip and apply the cookie cutter to the top layer... and if you want to get really fancy you can have 3 + layers and on the top one, mask out the character so that the circles go behind the character O.o

craZy18gurl
Org Profile

Post by craZy18gurl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:31 am

Alright, got it. Thank you so much JaddziaDax =]

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:12 pm

I recently started using media generators like the black rectangle as effects. You can use it as a border and twist it around on it's timeline to match the beat. I like to use glow for transitions also. And you can play around with different composing modes. I use additive for brightness on beat sync sometimes and difference squared with moving scenes can sometimes look really cool.
If I don't make much sense, I use a bunch of that stuff in this video.

I also just started to use the 'black restore' which can be a really cool effect. You can use chroma keyer to make it colors other than black.

craZy18gurl
Org Profile

Post by craZy18gurl » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:28 am

That's quite helpful. Thanks Kanti!

What is the black restore effect?

Return to “Video Editing Software”